Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Asian Imports
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-29-2003, 07:24 AM   #1
WingedFire

What classifies a car as a Spyder?

I know very little about cars so if the question is completely off base feel free to tell me. But I've seen many cars that included the word spyder in their name and I was wondering is there a reason they are called this or is it for merely vanity purposes? Any response is helpful, thanks in advance.
Old 07-29-2003, 02:34 PM   #2
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Re: What classifies a car as a Spyder?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedFire
I know very little about cars so if the question is completely off base feel free to tell me. But I've seen many cars that included the word spyder in their name and I was wondering is there a reason they are called this or is it for merely vanity purposes? Any response is helpful, thanks in advance.

Good question. There is nothing that actually qualifies a car to be call "Spyder". That being said it is most often used on sporty two-door, two-seat convertibles. The term has been used on cars from most all countries but was originally used by Porsche in the fifties.

So the short answer is yes, merely for vanity purposes.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2003, 07:38 PM   #3
84_Jetta_GLi
CF Enthusiast

Spyder and Roadsters are pretty much the same thing, correct me if im wrong

You don't "drive" a car, you "wear" it like clothes.

You can't race a house, but you can sleep in a car

R.I.P ~ Betsy (1988-2003)
84_Jetta_GLi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2003, 09:51 PM   #4
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84_Jetta_GLi
Spyder and Roadsters are pretty much the same thing, correct me if im wrong

Yeah, that's it, that's the explanation I was looking for.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."

Old 08-04-2003, 12:52 AM   #5
S2000Boy
CF Newbie

Roadsters and spyders are the same thing, they are both 2 seaters and convertible. 4 seater convertible's are not considered are roadster or a spyder.
Old 08-04-2003, 03:15 AM   #6
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2000Boy
Roadsters and spyders are the same thing, they are both 2 seaters and convertible. 4 seater convertible's are not considered are roadster or a spyder.

So a '32 Ford roadster is a Spyder? I think not. Remember read, think, type.

Old 08-09-2003, 11:04 PM   #7
Machine
CF Newbie

As far as the '32 Ford example, I always believed "Spyder" was more a European car term, recently used by the Asian car manufacturers as well. I may be wrong, but I can't think of any American models that carried "Spyder" after its name. There probably is one, but none that I can recall. I think "Roadster" was the same way originally. Porsche used it quite a lot, and I thought it too was mostly a European term. I'm open to any corrections.
Old 08-09-2003, 11:41 PM   #8
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machine
As far as the '32 Ford example, I always believed "Spyder" was more a European car term, recently used by the Asian car manufacturers as well. I may be wrong, but I can't think of any American models that carried "Spyder" after its name. There probably is one, but none that I can recall. I think "Roadster" was the same way originally. Porsche used it quite a lot, and I thought it too was mostly a European term. I'm open to any corrections.

You are so correct. If you read the thread from top to bottom you'll find that was partly my point.

As for US manufacturers using the name Spyder, Chevy did it in the 60's on the Corvair. That model is also the only one I know of that breaks the two seat only rule.

Old 08-10-2003, 12:49 AM   #9
Machine
CF Newbie

I never would have thought the Corvair would be selected to have a Spyder model...Interesting...I've got to look up a pic of one now...Thanks for the information...