Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-17-2004, 02:22 AM   #1
Flame Roller
CF Enthusiast

ABS INOP light on a 95 3.4L Firebird

I am just curious what could be causing the ABS INOP light to come on, it only happens sometimes when I start it up, other times it won't. I don't really notice any difference while driving, but have not tried to brake hard to see if the tires will lock up or not. Any help is appreciated, thanks all.
Flame Roller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 02:37 AM   #2
DodgeRida67
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flame Roller
I am just curious what could be causing the ABS INOP light to come on, it only happens sometimes when I start it up, other times it won't. I don't really notice any difference while driving, but have not tried to brake hard to see if the tires will lock up or not. Any help is appreciated, thanks all.

If you brake hard enough, your tires will lock up. ABS or not.
DodgeRida67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 02:58 AM   #3
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by DodgeRida67
Holy crap, you did so good for so long, what's happening all of a sudden? Are you eating stupid pills or what? If the brakes are locking and the tires are skidding the ABS is not working properly. That is a fact.

Quote:
What, huh? The light is supposed to come on EVERY TIME you start it up. Either you're not paying close attention or you're doing a poor job of describing your situation. Which is it?

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 03:44 AM   #4
DodgeRida67
Banned

Stupid pills? Darn. Busted.

Nah, the problem is I get to feeling smart and get to posting about things I have no business posting about. I'll stop!.
Old 11-17-2004, 07:27 PM   #5
Flame Roller
CF Enthusiast

When I say....

the ABS INOP light is coming on I mean it is coming on and staying on.... I know it is supposed to come on momentarily upon start up, but I mean it stays on sometimes, and other times it acts like it normally should. Curious as to what reasons it may think it needs to stay on, but only sometimes.
Old 11-17-2004, 08:14 PM   #6
Grover
CF Newbie

Lightbulb ABS Inop Light

Quote:

I have a 94 Camaro that does the same thing, and many times ( four to date) when it happened I ended up replacing the alternator shortly thereafter. Most likely it is warning you about something electrical going bad. Sounds crazy but, that's what mine does.
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2004, 01:20 AM   #7
JaneiR36
CF Freak

you've had to replace your alternator four times?!?!
JaneiR36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2004, 01:23 AM   #8
DodgeRida67
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover
I have a 94 Camaro that does the same thing, and many times ( four to date) when it happened I ended up replacing the alternator shortly thereafter. Most likely it is warning you about something electrical going bad. Sounds crazy but, that's what mine does.

What exactly are you saying...that the light was a "warning sign" to a bad alternator? Did a new alternator make the light go off?
Old 11-18-2004, 01:24 AM   #9
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
the ABS INOP light is coming on I mean it is coming on and staying on.... I know it is supposed to come on momentarily upon start up, but I mean it stays on sometimes, and other times it acts like it normally should. Curious as to what reasons it may think it needs to stay on, but only sometimes.
Oh, I see, you're doing a poor job of describing your situation. So what you're telling us is that you have an intermittent ABS light. Have we read the thread about how to describe your problem (http://www.car-forums.com/talk/showthread.php?t=2200)? Is it totally random or is there a pattern to it (speed, weather, temperature, turning, bumps, etc)? Having all the pertinent information helps so much. In the end the only way to accurately diagnose an ABS light is to do a visual inspection of the system's components and hook up the trusty old scan tool, unless you want to just replace parts and cross your fingers.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."

Old 11-18-2004, 01:26 AM   #10
DodgeRida67
Banned

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Woah. Let me try that again. If you brake hard enough your tires are going to squeal. Seemingly locked up. That's not really going to get you anywhere.
Old 11-18-2004, 01:29 AM   #11
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
What exactly are you saying...that the light was a "warning sign" to a bad alternator? Did a new alternator make the light go off?
He's only telling you part of the story, either by design or through ignorance. On many (most?) late model GM cars, when there is a charging system malfunction the instrument display starts to go nuts. The ABS light illuminating intermittently is just one of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneiR36
you've had to replace your alternator four times?!?!
Either he's buying junk, or junkyard, parts or he's covering a system malfunction with a new alternator. Whichever, when he runs out of money he'll have to do it the right way.

Old 11-18-2004, 03:44 AM   #12
Flame Roller
CF Enthusiast

More info...

Alright in case you do not know my vehicle is a 95 3.4L V6 SFI (sequential fuel injected) and has an intermittant problem with the abs light coming on sometimes and staying on. Generally I think the car is cold. Also weather has been the same here for awhile, somewhat cool temperatures, but above freezing. As far as speed it does not matter as it stays on from when I start the car up.

Also Dodgerida, while I am not mechanically car savvy I do know how to drive one, and as far as seeing if my wheels lock up on hard braking or not will not accomplish anything, I already know if the ABS isn't working it will lock up, and if the ABS is working then it will work hard not to. That is not the issue here, I am simply looking for a plausible reason for the light to come on, and stay on, only sometimes.
Old 11-18-2004, 04:33 AM   #13
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Alright in case you do not know my vehicle is a 95 3.4L V6 SFI (sequential fuel injected) and has an intermittant problem with the abs light coming on sometimes and staying on. Generally I think the car is cold. Also weather has been the same here for awhile, somewhat cool temperatures, but above freezing. As far as speed it does not matter as it stays on from when I start the car up.

Also Dodgerida, while I am not mechanically car savvy I do know how to drive one, and as far as seeing if my wheels lock up on hard braking or not will not accomplish anything, I already know if the ABS isn't working it will lock up, and if the ABS is working then it will work hard not to. That is not the issue here, I am simply looking for a plausible reason for the light to come on, and stay on, only sometimes.
Refer to post nine in this thread.

Old 11-18-2004, 05:25 PM   #14
DodgeRida67
Banned

Quote:

You missed my point. My point was this; How are you going to know if they lock up?
Old 11-19-2004, 12:57 AM   #15
Flame Roller
CF Enthusiast

My point is...

I do not need to know. I am not worried about if the ABS is actually not working or not, although I'd assume it isn't if the light is on. My point was only to find out why it was doing that.

P.S. The car died today, and got a new alternator in it, running ok... for now but what Grover says about having to replace the alternator four times has me thinking I may have the same issue, but I did get a lifetime warranty. However I am still curious then what could be the cause of ruining alternators so frequently, any ideas?