Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-30-2003, 07:09 PM   #1
mrguppgupps

Fitting windshield rubbers

Hi all,
I'm new here so please bear with me if it don't make any sense!
The rear side window seal rubbers on my '69 Triumph Vitesse are perished and I've got some new ones. The only trouble is I don't have the first idea about how to remove the old ones and the windows, then how to replace them. I've heard talk about washing-up liquid and string but I'm still in the dark!!
Any tips would be most greatfully received.
Best Regards
Richard
Old 07-30-2003, 07:31 PM   #2
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Re: Fitting windshield rubbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrguppgupps
Hi all,
I'm new here so please bear with me if it don't make any sense!
The rear side window seal rubbers on my '69 Triumph Vitesse are perished and I've got some new ones. The only trouble is I don't have the first idea about how to remove the old ones and the windows, then how to replace them. I've heard talk about washing-up liquid and string but I'm still in the dark!!
Any tips would be most greatfully received.
Best Regards
Richard

Simple to do, difficult to explain. First remove the old ones by simply cutting through the old rubber all the way around the glass, popout the glass, remove the rest of the rubber, and clean the perimeter of the glass and the frame.

Install by first pulling the rubber over the glass. Next use a piece of nylon cord (not to big) long enough to wrap around the outer groove of the rubber about 1 1/2 times. I loop the ends so it's easier to pull/hang on to. Place the glass so the hardest spot is already started into the frame. You want the crossover part at that point. Have a helper press against the glass from the opposite side (outside) you're working from (inside). Pull the cord in slowly working each side back and forth. There ya have it, window in. You may have to do some light tapping to get it seated.

As for lubricant don't use soap. It slides nice but it degrades the rubber. Use Armor All, silicone lube, something of that nature. The more the merrier.

This all makes perfect sense to me but I've done it for years. If I've confused you or you don't understand something please let me know. Good luck.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote