Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Asian Imports
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-21-2004, 01:35 AM   #1
Zalight
Who's house? Runs house.

CRX is misfiring

For some reason my 86 CRX DX is no longer a four cylinder. I consider it a three and a half cylinder because the fourth only fires when it feels like it.

In the morning I give it about ten minutes to warm up but when I drive it it still sounds like a harley that has a throat infection. I found that it only misfires if the rpms are low and I push the throttle in too far. But the higher rpms raise, the more I can dip into the throttle without running on 3 cylinders.
I checked the plug gaps and the plug wires but they both were fine. Since my car is carburated I thought it might be the timing but I don't have a timing light I can check it with.

Does anyone know whats going on and how I can fix it?

Thanks for any help guys.
Old 11-21-2004, 02:48 AM   #2
DodgeRida67
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zalight
For some reason my 86 CRX DX is no longer a four cylinder. I consider it a three and a half cylinder because the fourth only fires when it feels like it.

In the morning I give it about ten minutes to warm up but when I drive it it still sounds like a harley that has a throat infection. I found that it only misfires if the rpms are low and I push the throttle in too far. But the higher rpms raise, the more I can dip into the throttle without running on 3 cylinders.
I checked the plug gaps and the plug wires but they both were fine. Since my car is carburated I thought it might be the timing but I don't have a timing light I can check it with.

Does anyone know whats going on and how I can fix it?

Thanks for any help guys.

Simple enough. I hope. I've had this same problem.

I'm betting the misfiring cylinder is #4. Right? Anyway, pull the plugs, clean them off. Make them look like new. I'm speaking of the electrodes, and the insulator. Put them back, and I'll bet it'll run fine... for awhile.

I'm betting you are getting a thin coating of carbon on your center electrode insultator on plug #4. Carbon is an excellant conductor of electricity... your spark then goes to ground. If this is what is happening I'll then tell you how to stop this.

Boy I hope I get lucky and get this one right. It's a strong hunch based on a huge assumtion. I feel lucky.

Last edited by DodgeRida67 : 11-21-2004 at 02:52 AM.
DodgeRida67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2004, 02:51 AM   #3
DodgeRida67
Banned

Stupid software.

Edit: I forgot to ask you...
Quote:
Since my car is carburated I thought it might be the timing but I don't have a timing light I can check it with.

Do you mind explaining that bit of logic there? I'm lost.

Last edited by DodgeRida67 : 11-21-2004 at 02:54 AM.
Old 11-21-2004, 10:16 PM   #4
Zalight
Who's house? Runs house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DodgeRida67
Stupid software.

Edit: I forgot to ask you...

Do you mind explaining that bit of logic there? I'm lost.

My bad forgot about the whole over head cam thing.
Old 11-22-2004, 01:54 AM   #5
DodgeRida67
Banned

Quote:
My bad forgot about the whole over head cam thing.

Okay - but not what I ment. What I ment was what does having a carburetor have to do with timing?
Old 11-22-2004, 01:46 PM   #6
Inygknok
El del Supra

wat dodge means is that all cars have timing, atleast in present day. wether its a carb, or fuel injection, it doesnt matter. they have atleast some sort of timing somewhere, such as the timing belt, the distributor, cam position sensor, vacuum advance, etc.

Supra: To surpass or go beyond.
Inygknok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 07:13 AM   #7
Zalight
Who's house? Runs house.

I don't know, just threw it in there for fun I guess. I'm not actually that retarded, I know my car has timing I just am not sure how to check it on my particular vehicle and worded what I meant to say in an incorrect and off way, sorry for the confusion.

But anyway, I replaced the pugs and wires and its running fine now. Upon closer inspection of the plug wries themselves I noticed the terminal on the plug end of no 4 had a slightly charred appeaence to it. So I replaced it and while I was at it replaced everything else. I'm running fine now, and happy about it.

Thanks for the help guys.
Old 11-23-2004, 03:55 PM   #8
DodgeRida67
Banned

Quote:
But anyway, I replaced the pugs and wires and its running fine now. Upon closer inspection of the plug wries themselves I noticed the terminal on the plug end of no 4 had a slightly charred appeaence to it. So I replaced it and while I was at it replaced everything else. I'm running fine now, and happy about it.

Thanks for the help guys.

Quote:
I checked the plug gaps and the plug wires but they both were fine.

Old 11-23-2004, 06:10 PM   #9
car_and_driver
CF Newbie

dude

i have that exact problem. i have a 96 honda accord and last week i decided to replace the spark plugs. well it started misfiring after that.

i noticed there was some oil on the things that plug into the spark plugs (dont know what they are called). i cleaned that off, and i was advised to replace the gaskets in the engine. so last saturday i opened up the engine and replaced the rubber gaskets around the cylinders (as well as the one that goes around the perimeter of the engine).

i cleaned all the oil away and put it back together. although i did notice that one of the spark plugs had a charred black look on it (like u said). i didnt think much of it though, and i thought that wouldnt matter.

the car ran smoothly after that, but within a few days the same misfiring has started happening again. u think i shoudl just replace all the spark plugs again to be safe?
car_and_driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 06:30 PM   #10
Flame Roller
CF Enthusiast

the thing that connects to the spark plug...

is called the boot. It is on the end of spark plug wires, and generally 'clicks' when fully connected to the spark plug. If your plug wires have oil on them, then maybe your misfiring isn't the only problem you have.

Also rather than replacing the plugs themselves, have you tried replacing the plug wires? I didn't mention that in your actual post but will here to be sure if you have or not.
Flame Roller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 07:25 PM   #11
car_and_driver
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flame Roller
is called the boot.

thank you for the information. well, the actual metal wires on the end of the spark plugs didnt have oil on them, the oil was just around the base of the boot.

also, i talked to some coworkers here, and i was reminded that we are in thinner air up here in colorado. the car is from california, and i received it at the end of this august. i heard that some cars will need to be adjusted for the thinner air, but i was also told newer cars do it electronically by themselves. but then someone said they had a ford (cant remember what kind) that was electronic but it wouldnt properly adjust so they had to take it to get the computer flashed.

u think that might be a possible solution?
car_and_driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 07:28 PM   #12
DodgeRida67
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by car_and_driver
thank you for the information. well, the actual metal wires on the end of the spark plugs didnt have oil on them, the oil was just around the base of the boot.

also, i talked to some coworkers here, and i was reminded that we are in thinner air up here in colorado. the car is from california, and i received it at the end of this august. i heard that some cars will need to be adjusted for the thinner air, but i was also told newer cars do it electronically by themselves. but then someone said they had a ford (cant remember what kind) that was electronic but it wouldnt properly adjust so they had to take it to get the computer flashed.

u think that might be a possible solution?

I don't know about him, but I vote NO.
Old 11-25-2004, 05:44 AM   #13
Zalight
Who's house? Runs house.

Dodgerider, on your earlier post, yea I checked the wires and plugs the first time, but it wasn't until the second time when I pulled the silicon boots back over the end of the terminals that I noticed the problem. The first time I only checked the wires themselves, not the terminals, I was looking at them for any heat damage that might have burned away the silcon. Sorry for confusing you.