Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-22-2004, 03:41 AM   #1
nitehawk
CF Newbie

Wink car choice help

okey,...now ,i need a list of cars that i can buy for under 8000 being my first car. it has got to be a 5 to 6 speed manual.. rear wheel drive..6 cyl is nice but 4 banger is acceptable..as long as i can put a body kit on it..and make it run fast and add on to it as i get more money.. no later model then a 91 model..my main focous is on or around 95 model..i have looked at the nissan 240sx..but i would like to know others so ..all imput is greatly appreciated
nitehawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 04:23 AM   #2
Flame Roller
CF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitehawk
okey,...now ,i need a list of cars that i can buy for under 8000 being my first car. it has got to be a 5 to 6 speed manual.. rear wheel drive..6 cyl is nice but 4 banger is acceptable..as long as i can put a body kit on it..and make it run fast and add on to it as i get more money.. no later model then a 91 model..my main focous is on or around 95 model..i have looked at the nissan 240sx..but i would like to know others so ..all imput is greatly appreciated

There are plenty of cars for that price you could get. If you are looking for a good sports car with a v6 you could go with a Firebird, Mustang (although with 8 grand you could afford the V8 and safe yourself some hassle about gaining power to start off with) You could also go with something like a 3000gt which is a pretty easy car to get parts for. Eclipses are really nice vehicles, albeit not RWD, although you could get an AWD car, those are always a plus if you live where you may get snow.

For 8 grand you could also get many integras, civics, etc, which are easily able to be modified. If you go with a Firebird (at least a V6) expect to spend a little bit more time under the hood, even with the simplest of mods/repairs/replacements. However I personally recommend a mid-late 90s Trans Am. I wish my F-body was a Formula or Trans Am, but I am stuck with a piddly 3.4L that I don't have enough cash to mod right now.

Also when you said nothing later than 91, and then referred to a 95.. I presume by later you actually meant older, whereas later would mean newer, as in a later released vehicle. Just giving this info so others don't bash ya.

Keep me informed, also if you give me a zip code maybe I can help ya search for something in my spare time if I find any.
Flame Roller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 04:34 AM   #3
nitehawk
CF Newbie

yes,that's exactly what i ment..thanks for the correction.. a trans or a 3000gt are nice..i actually forgot about them..i thoguth they was a lil more then 8 grand..i havent looked into them in a while..... up my zip code is 25801..imma look into the 3000gt ..price range ect...
Old 11-22-2004, 04:41 AM   #4
Flame Roller
CF Enthusiast

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...or=&cardist=75 Nice miles for the year

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...or=&cardist=75 Red must be your color

Last edited by Flame Roller : 11-22-2004 at 04:47 AM.
Old 11-22-2004, 04:56 AM   #5
nitehawk
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flame Roller
actually..red in the 3000gt is my favorite color..in my opion u can see all the curves the best..or red just makes it stand out more! and i didnt think they was this cheap
Old 11-22-2004, 08:39 AM   #6
nitehawk
CF Newbie

okey,now i know the right year that i like the body styling on..and they are the 92-95..more willing to take a 95 tho
Old 11-22-2004, 12:25 PM   #7
Inygknok
El del Supra

correct me if im wrong but, i doubt u can get the expensive model of the 3kgt for under $8g. im sure the one under that amount (specially a newer one) with twin turbo and maybe the optional AWD would be found for a whole lot more.

Supra: To surpass or go beyond.
Inygknok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 01:33 PM   #8
SNiPeRViRuS
CF Enthusiast

go to carsdirect.com or ebaymotors.com and search for corvettes. you will find many to choose from for around that price from like 92-95.
Old 11-22-2004, 06:53 PM   #9
nitehawk
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inygknok
correct me if im wrong but, i doubt u can get the expensive model of the 3kgt for under $8g. im sure the one under that amount (specially a newer one) with twin turbo and maybe the optional AWD would be found for a whole lot more.
i wish i could afford the more expensive model..like the 3000gt vr4 maby..twin turbo... i'd rather just have the rear wheel drive..i'd think that if i wanted all wheel drive ..i'd get a truck..but truck isn't for me
Old 11-22-2004, 08:22 PM   #10
Flame Roller
CF Enthusiast

Well your call...

I dunno what other cars you are thinking about, but for 8k, there are plenty to choose from that are pretty decent. Good luck. And keep us informed.
Old 11-23-2004, 02:35 AM   #11
zook83
CF Newbie

That's right, I dont think you'll find 3000gt turbo for under 8k unless it has a salvage title or broken parts.
Just don't buy the base model because their performance suck.
Look for something reliable too. Mitsubishis need frequent repairs and parts are usually expensive.
I would buy a 97or 99 Miata: RWD and Gocart handling, Yeah!
zook83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 03:46 AM   #12
Flame Roller
CF Enthusiast

I disagree....

Personally I feel Mitsubishi's are a well built vehicle, and also the parts are very simple to get ahold of, and also quite cheap, the only hard parts would be stock items that you may need to get from a factory, but the aftermarket on Eclipses/Talons, or 3000GT is quite immense. Also the fact about a stock 3000GT having sucky performance, I wouldn't buy that, especially when he is telling you to buy a hot wheel, Miata's are nice, and have decent performance, but look at how little they are, how could they possibly be slow? The 3000GT could get cheap and easy mods to increase performance quickly. Not to mention how darn sexy they are.
Old 11-23-2004, 05:30 AM   #13
zook83
CF Newbie

I mean they are more expensive then mazdas and some of the japanese brands.
The base 3000gt gets 160hp, FWD and curb weight of 3200lb. I wouldn't say this is the best potential car to mod. Also many of their parts come from Dodge which I wouldn't say is reliable either.
If miata is too small, I guess you should go for 240sx and should have plenty of money left for your bodykits and other parts you want.
zook83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 08:26 AM   #14
nitehawk
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by zook83
I mean they are more expensive then mazdas and some of the japanese brands.
The base 3000gt gets 160hp, FWD and curb weight of 3200lb. I wouldn't say this is the best potential car to mod. Also many of their parts come from Dodge which I wouldn't say is reliable either.
If miata is too small, I guess you should go for 240sx and should have plenty of money left for your bodykits and other parts you want.
i might can get a loan for a turbo 3000gt..i dotn like the Miata,too small..and id ont know..its between the the 240sx..and the 3000gt..the 3000gt is just ..like the other dude said..sexy..imma replace as much of it as i can with carbon fiber..i love the look of it..and i wasn't aware that it only had 160bhp..i'll see if i can test drive one tomorrow or i can find one on a car lot..
Old 11-23-2004, 05:53 PM   #15
Flame Roller
CF Enthusiast

160bhp...

who cares? my F-bird has 160bhp to start.... but it can easily get up to 350rwhp with mods... it just takes time and money... but you should first love the look of your car. Go with the body you like, or one you can work with to make it what you want, and deal with performance as ya go too. Any car can get high HP, in fact I saw an early 90s cavalier set up for drag racing, so any car can be made 'fast'.