Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Classic Cars
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-11-2003, 02:22 AM   #1
RoadRunner73
CF Newbie

73 roadrunner

Hi,
im new to the muscle car scene. I was recently out looking for a car and i spotted a 73 roadrunner. The body is in decent shap but everything has been stripped. My dad and I are going to buy it and slowly build it up over a couple years. My question is; there was no motor or tranny on the car and it was a 340 to start but i want to but somthing bigger in it, is it possible to fit a 440 (off a71' GTX) on the stock mounts, or will i have to do a lot of modifications to get it fitting right? Any help would be great

Thanks
RoadRunner73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2003, 02:23 PM   #2
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Re: 73 roadrunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadRunner73
Hi,
im new to the muscle car scene. I was recently out looking for a car and i spotted a 73 roadrunner. The body is in decent shap but everything has been stripped. My dad and I are going to buy it and slowly build it up over a couple years. My question is; there was no motor or tranny on the car and it was a 340 to start but i want to but somthing bigger in it, is it possible to fit a 440 (off a71' GTX) on the stock mounts, or will i have to do a lot of modifications to get it fitting right? Any help would be great

Thanks

You need to find yourself a big block k-member, motor supports, and possibly move/change your trans crossmember. Good luck finding the parts in a junkyard, you'll most likely have to go the aftermarket.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2003, 04:36 PM   #3
RoadRunner73
CF Newbie

Ok, ill see what i can do but i might just put in a 383 or another kind a crate motor cuase the scrap yard we have here is not that good, mostly for people you have ricers uggg i hate ricers but thank you for your help

cheers
Old 08-11-2003, 04:38 PM   #4
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Ok, ill see what i can do but i might just put in a 383 or another kind a crate motor cuase the scrap yard we have here is not that good, mostly for people you have ricers uggg i hate ricers but thank you for your help

cheers

A 383 is still a big block, same mods will be required.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."

Old 08-11-2003, 04:46 PM   #5
RoadRunner73
CF Newbie

ugg :x all i know is i want somthing bigger than a 340 it only has 275 (approx) hp and i want to be able to kick the sh%t out of ricers. The modifications that i need to do would require welding expertise right? And if you could tell me a couple sites or a site that might sell bigger k-members and some information that would be a big help. Is it possible though i doubt it to take the parts needed from the gtx (k-member) and somehow graft it to the fram of the 73 or is it best to find one from another 73 or buy a new one. Im fairly new at this so i might be asking really stupid questions

thx
Old 08-11-2003, 05:26 PM   #6
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
ugg :x all i know is i want somthing bigger than a 340 it only has 275 (approx) hp and i want to be able to kick the sh%t out of ricers. The modifications that i need to do would require welding expertise right? And if you could tell me a couple sites or a site that might sell bigger k-members and some information that would be a big help. Is it possible though i doubt it to take the parts needed from the gtx (k-member) and somehow graft it to the fram of the 73 or is it best to find one from another 73 or buy a new one. Im fairly new at this so i might be asking really stupid questions

thx

1. Are you sure you need something bigger?

2. Maybe.

3. I could but you'll learn more researching for yourself.

4. Yes, depending on the year GTX and if it had a big block.

5. There are no stupid questions. Only questions asked by stupid people, so far you're not in that category.

Let me give you an opinion. I think you may be putting the cart in front of the horse. The first step in any build-up is realistically determining what you need and what you can afford. I'm not so sure you've done both of those yet. Once those are accomplished you'll know where to go and it will be much easier to help you.

Old 08-11-2003, 05:58 PM   #7
RoadRunner73
CF Newbie

well my goal is to have the project finsihed with in 5-6 years. money is not an issue becuase the motor i want comes from a 440 gtx (1971) so money is not an issue. I really need to find a motor and 340 i find is to small and there isnt a car around where i live that has one. I find i rather have an engine that i can work on would be more fun that putting in a crate engine though it will cost more money in the long run i believe it will give me some experience building an old one up. My dad has all sorts of connections with welders and people with mopars so im sure they could help me out with finding parts i need. The first thing i really need to do with the car is to get it powered with a new old motor and new 4 spd tranny. The second thing i want to do, is do the interior (new everything since there was nothing in it to begin with) then get the body finished and painted. Money wont be a problem cuase ive been saving for awhile and just the length of the project.
Old 08-11-2003, 09:18 PM   #8
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
well my goal is to have the project finsihed with in 5-6 years. money is not an issue becuase the motor i want comes from a 440 gtx (1971) so money is not an issue. I really need to find a motor and 340 i find is to small and there isnt a car around where i live that has one. I find i rather have an engine that i can work on would be more fun that putting in a crate engine though it will cost more money in the long run i believe it will give me some experience building an old one up. My dad has all sorts of connections with welders and people with mopars so im sure they could help me out with finding parts i need. The first thing i really need to do with the car is to get it powered with a new old motor and new 4 spd tranny. The second thing i want to do, is do the interior (new everything since there was nothing in it to begin with) then get the body finished and painted. Money wont be a problem cuase ive been saving for awhile and just the length of the project.

Alrighty then. You need to read my last post more carefully. Unless you're Bill Gates, money is always an issue. Good luck.

Old 08-11-2003, 10:16 PM   #9
RoadRunner73
CF Newbie

True, so what do you think i should start out with? Its just this 440 is readily available and its gonna cost around $300 cdn and ive checked specs on it and it sounds like a nice engine that i would like to put in my car. All in all the 340 doesn't appeal to me as much as a big nasty Big Block. If i can get the motor would you suggest getting it or stick with 340 (Buy a rebuilt one). Ive also checked the internet you can get conversion parts to make the stock K-member able to go with a big block.
Old 08-11-2003, 10:42 PM   #10
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
True, so what do you think i should start out with? Its just this 440 is readily available and its gonna cost around $300 cdn and ive checked specs on it and it sounds like a nice engine that i would like to put in my car. All in all the 340 doesn't appeal to me as much as a big nasty Big Block. If i can get the motor would you suggest getting it or stick with 340 (Buy a rebuilt one). Ive also checked the internet you can get conversion parts to make the stock K-member able to go with a big block.

I agree, I love a big block but..... They're more expensive to build, operate and also the conversion costs. Plus with the substantial extra weight they take a poor handling car and make it worse ( I have a '73 Satellite).

I would go with a 360. Relatively cheap to build, capable of good power, and the junkyards are full of them. If you can get a 440 cheap enough save it for when you have more experience.

If you look in "SUV and Trucks" you'll find a link I gave a dude for his small block build up.

Old 08-11-2003, 11:36 PM   #11
RoadRunner73
CF Newbie

You've lost me wouldnt more weight in the front give better turning?What i can see as a problem is maybe id need to buy new shocks or somthing. Its just i help my friend with his olds 455 and he spent about $1500 rebuilding his engine (acid bath,gaskets etc). Plus his dad is good with engines, and my dad used to work on them so im sure we can work it out. Its just that i was watching horse power T.V and they put a 572 in a nova and i was thinkin that would be sweet to have a big engine in a small car. But i can see your point a 440 would get like 7-10 mpg, but gas prices up in alberta are still cheaper than anywhere else. Your imput is greatly appreciate. We will see how things pan out and ill keep you posted.
Old 08-11-2003, 11:53 PM   #12
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
oh, what about the chevy 385 fastburn or should i keep the engine mopar?

1. Do you have any idea how much additional fabrication you would have to do to install a SBC?

2. Don't even joke about bastardizing a Road Runner. Live and love Mother Mopar. Otherwise you might as well run a ricemobile.

Old 08-11-2003, 11:57 PM   #13
RoadRunner73
CF Newbie

i realized that read my post again i edited it.
Old 08-12-2003, 12:16 AM   #14
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
You've lost me wouldnt more weight in the front give better turning?What i can see as a problem is maybe id need to buy new shocks or somthing. Its just i help my friend with his olds 455 and he spent about $1500 rebuilding his engine (acid bath,gaskets etc). Plus his dad is good with engines, and my dad used to work on them so im sure we can work it out. Its just that i was watching horse power T.V and they put a 572 in a nova and i was thinkin that would be sweet to have a big engine in a small car. But i can see your point a 440 would get like 7-10 mpg, but gas prices up in alberta are still cheaper than anywhere else. Your imput is greatly appreciate. We will see how things pan out and ill keep you posted.

1. No, a heavier front end will certainly not help the handling. Even if you use big block torsion bars it'll still be pretty much a pig.

2. If he only spent $1500 to rebuild an Olds 455 his idea of a rebuild may be a little bit different from mine.

3. They're not paying for their parts on that Nova. I've caught bits and pieces and can tell you it will cost near 40k by the time they're done.

4. Trust me, no matter what the price of gas a well built, low budget 360 will be plenty fast for you. There's a learning curve with fast cars and nobody should try to start too near the top.

Old 08-12-2003, 12:22 AM   #15
RoadRunner73
CF Newbie

a pig eh? thats funny, i was just checkign through my hot rod magazine and theres a 360 magnum here that produces almost 400hp and 420lb-ft of torque thats more than the 440 and it will probably fit on the stock mounts right?