Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Classic Cars
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-01-2003, 04:54 PM   #1
thinker123

Advice on buying a chevelle

I could you some advice from anyone who cares to shed some light on a car I’m considering. Here’s the scoop. 1971 Chevelle with a newly rebuilt 454, 10.5:1 pistons, high performance cam, Holley Strip Dominator intake, Holley 750 CFM carb and headers, 2 Ĺ" pipes and flow masters. The car also has a 4.10 12 bolt posi rear. Here’s the question. Do you think I could use this car as a commuter when I’m driving 90 miles a day. Would it be practical. I want the car fast but what’s the point in buying it if all I’m going to do is de-tune it. Any thoughts?
Old 09-01-2003, 07:48 PM   #2
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Re: Advice on buying a chevelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinker123
I could you some advice from anyone who cares to shed some light on a car Iím considering. Hereís the scoop. 1971 Chevelle with a newly rebuilt 454, 10.5:1 pistons, high performance cam, Holley Strip Dominator intake, Holley 750 CFM carb and headers, 2 Ĺ" pipes and flow masters. The car also has a 4.10 12 bolt posi rear. Hereís the question. Do you think I could use this car as a commuter when Iím driving 90 miles a day. Would it be practical. I want the car fast but whatís the point in buying it if all Iím going to do is de-tune it. Any thoughts?

Based on the specs you provide I don't think the car would be suitable for your application. That being said you don't mention what type of transmission it has (another case of incomplete information) and that will play a determining role.

Also everyone has a different opinion as to what practical is. I can assure you that my daily driver would not be usable for about 99.9% of the population but I like it just fine.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2003, 09:45 PM   #3
Machine
CF Newbie

If you have a 90-minute commute, it might as well be fun...If I was having to spend that much time in a car, I'd want to enjoy the car...Just my opinion...
Old 09-02-2003, 05:59 PM   #4
theman352001
--- Voice of Reason ---

Ask yourself how much you want to pay in gas. I built up a 460 with a similar compression ratio and your probably looking at burning premium at least. Thats been my experience.

The car sounds great though. As with any car, the more you beat it the more likely you are to break it and the faster it will wear out. If your going to keep trying for your best commute time then the car will require more maintence. If your nice to it and only get on it once in a while, it should last if it was built right.

Good luck.
theman352001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2003, 11:13 AM   #5
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Well since the thread starter seems to be another hit and run kinda guy, let me finish an incomplete thought.

I'm going to guess based on the info we have that the engine is cammed to the hilt, it has a loose converter, and probably a TH400. Anyone doing a 90 minute commute is probably doing it mostly on the highway. So let's assume a driving speed of 70 mph to keep up with the flow of traffic.

With that drivetrain setup he would be turning the engine in the 3800 rpm area for extended periods. Livable for a small block but death to a big block. And with my assumed converter, death to the transmission too.

The reason the trans works into the equation is if it has a TH700R4 it would drop the rpm to the 3000 range which would make the engine last a little longer but unless it has a lock-up converter it would still kill the trans in fairly short order.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."

Old 09-04-2003, 04:43 PM   #6
snoopewite
The 1st CF Entrepreneur

vwhobo wrote -
"3800 rpm area for extended periods. Livable for a small block but death to a big block."

Why is that?
snoopewite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2003, 05:11 PM   #7
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopewite
vwhobo wrote: -
"3800 rpm area for extended periods. Livable for a small block but death to a big block."

Why is that?

Big, heavy parts going up and down and round and round. You also have to take into account the assumed mods. The engine is probably close to the edge anyway.

Old 09-04-2003, 05:19 PM   #8
snoopewite
The 1st CF Entrepreneur

Thanks vwhobo.
snoopewite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2003, 07:17 PM   #9
thinker123

For those of you who wanted to know the trans it's a turbo400 that has been rebuilt by a guy that specializes in racing automatics. From the advice I'm getting it sounds like this car should not be purchased as a "dry roads" only commuter for two reasons. One the rearend and engine wouldn't be able to take the constant high revs and the over all mpg will more than likely be the same as a Hummer. Is there anything else?
Old 09-04-2003, 07:25 PM   #10
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinker123
For those of you who wanted to know the trans it's a turbo400 that has been rebuilt by a guy that specializes in racing automatics. From the advice I'm getting it sounds like this car should not be purchased as a "dry roads" only commuter for two reasons. One the rearend and engine wouldn't be able to take the constant high revs and the over all mpg will more than likely be the same as a Hummer. Is there anything else?

That about covers it. Keep in mind I don't know how you feel about driving a high strung car on the road. Me personally, well I'm happy to do it just because I feel like it and can.

Old 09-04-2003, 09:41 PM   #11
(o) (o)
CF Newbie

just go buy an rx-7, they can handle some revs
(o) (o) is offline   Reply With Quote