Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Asian Imports
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-19-2004, 02:33 AM   #31
Godlaus
UnFedFat in Disguise
 
Godlaus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,697
Quote:
Originally Posted by StiMan
He hasnt been around as long as I have and, trust me on this, we have no influence as to who the mods put on probation, or what not, atleast from what I can tell.

okay, just that was how it worked at my old forum. Sooo, my n00b brain is still adapting.
BTT
we need the original poster to clear this up, as the fastes in the 0-30 is probably the STi (a skyline is faster than a mclaren f1 in the launch after all), but in the long straightaway, I'm sure the supra is faster. What are the weight power ratios? Anybody know?
Godlaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2004, 07:08 AM   #32
DSMer
CF Extraordinaire
 
DSMer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 1,639
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godlaus
okay, just that was how it worked at my old forum. Sooo, my n00b brain is still adapting.
BTT
we need the original poster to clear this up, as the fastes in the 0-30 is probably the STi (a skyline is faster than a mclaren f1 in the launch after all), but in the long straightaway, I'm sure the supra is faster. What are the weight power ratios? Anybody know?

You don't need anyone to clear the information up. You're simply chasing your tail arround the basic information that was listed onver 10 post ago. If it is evidently true that a Supra can get from 0-100 faster than a Subaru but can not get through the quartermile faster than the Subaru. Both cars finish the quarter mile at over 100mph so this tells one thing.

The Subaru reaches its peak Horsepower and Torque output slightly later than the Supra(Hey what do you know, the Supra peaks at 5600 and 6000 for the STi)

Both cars have 6-Gears and at 106mph the Subaru will be inches ahead of the Supra. Both cars are limited to a 155MPH top speed, so unless both cars are track tested at some sort of top speed testing track with no limiters we won't know who's fasters in a straight away. OH! But wait dumbshits! Thats what the f*cking quartermile was made for? It turns out that a quartermile drag race IS a straight away.

You all seem to be developing a case of mental retardation. They did'nt create a quartermile race for nothing. In the event that you have some legitimate reason to know which car will be faster on the straight away you'll need to know the top speed. Whomever has the highest top speed is the fastest of the two. Hmm... makes since does it not? Straight aways don't have bracket lights and they don't have an ending light. Whomever hits the highest top sped wins. Because if an STi is traveling at 172MPH and a Supra is traveling at 169MPH iregardless to who got ahead of who first, the STi will win in the long run because as we all know objects that travel faster than slower objects eventually catch up and surpass them. Quite simple is'nt it? Appearently not because some of you can not seem to grasp it...
__________________

...Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. It's just that yours is stupid...
DSMer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2004, 08:08 PM   #33
b_DuB13
CF Enthusiast
 
b_DuB13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: jacksonville fl
Posts: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMer
You don't need anyone to clear the information up. You're simply chasing your tail arround the basic information that was listed onver 10 post ago. If it is evidently true that a Supra can get from 0-100 faster than a Subaru but can not get through the quartermile faster than the Subaru. Both cars finish the quarter mile at over 100mph so this tells one thing.

The Subaru reaches its peak Horsepower and Torque output slightly later than the Supra(Hey what do you know, the Supra peaks at 5600 and 6000 for the STi)

Both cars have 6-Gears and at 106mph the Subaru will be inches ahead of the Supra. Both cars are limited to a 155MPH top speed, so unless both cars are track tested at some sort of top speed testing track with no limiters we won't know who's fasters in a straight away. OH! But wait dumbshits! Thats what the f*cking quartermile was made for? It turns out that a quartermile drag race IS a straight away.

You all seem to be developing a case of mental retardation. They did'nt create a quartermile race for nothing. In the event that you have some legitimate reason to know which car will be faster on the straight away you'll need to know the top speed. Whomever has the highest top speed is the fastest of the two. Hmm... makes since does it not? Straight aways don't have bracket lights and they don't have an ending light. Whomever hits the highest top sped wins. Because if an STi is traveling at 172MPH and a Supra is traveling at 169MPH iregardless to who got ahead of who first, the STi will win in the long run because as we all know objects that travel faster than slower objects eventually catch up and surpass them. Quite simple is'nt it? Appearently not because some of you can not seem to grasp it...

^^^tis why I will probably never argue with dsmer.
He is LEET, bitches.
b_DuB13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2004, 08:27 PM   #34
What
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Costa Nocha
Posts: 652
Quote:
Originally Posted by abless
(Twin Turbos) leads to more turbo lag. STi: 4 cylinders, 2.5 liters to spool one turbo. Supra: 6 cylinders, 3 liters to spool two turbos. I would rather have a single turbo Supra. It may have less power, but it would spool up faster.
That's wrong.
Twin Turbos have less lag than single turbos. I'll explain.

Twin turbos are often used to reduce turbo lag. They do this by making one of the turbos smaller and lighter (and weaker) than the other, so that it spools up faster. The other turbo is usually larger, and requires high rpm to began spooling properly. The smaller turbo is there to bridge the gap between no turbo boost, and the big turbo boost from the larger turbo charger. Twin turbos are smoother and easier to modulate than single turbos.

When a ridiculous amount of power is being asked from the turbos (such as the Bugatti Veyron), they use multiple turbos to bridge the gap and try to reduce turbo lag. The Veyron uses 4. Bugatti could have gotten the same amount of power that they did from a single turbo, but the car would have been practically undriveable because the turbo lag would have been so bad.


Ek_Eran_Ek was cool. Why'd you bitches run him off?

Last edited by What : 12-19-2004 at 08:32 PM.
What is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2004, 08:33 PM   #35
What
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Costa Nocha
Posts: 652
By the way, I'd choose the Supra because the engine was built so strongly, that you hardly need any reinforcements when tremendous amounts of power is added to it.

800 hp Supras exist that have practically stock internals. No Sti could do that.

Last edited by What : 12-19-2004 at 08:36 PM.
What is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2004, 09:32 PM   #36
DSMer
CF Extraordinaire
 
DSMer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 1,639
Quote:
Originally Posted by What
By the way, I'd choose the Supra because the engine was built so strongly, that you hardly need any reinforcements when tremendous amounts of power is added to it.

800 hp Supras exist that have practically stock internals. No Sti could do that.

Well you should take into the consideration that the engine is built on an I6 iron platform. Back when the Supra was made iron blocks were the thing. Nowadays car companies use lighter more efficient aluminum castings to create the engines. The fact that a Supras engine can hold 800HP on stock internals has no weight in any decision factor, or at least it should'nt.

Thats a very blanket statement. Where are you going with it? What is this 800HP going do to? As I've stated before, usless horsepower means nothing when it comes time to use it. If a 600AWHP STi can skyrocket through the quartermile faster than 800WHP Supra then what basis will being able to hold that power on stock internals mean? What does having a stronger stock engine over a lighter, more efficient aluminum prove? Its not as if the Subarus engine can not hold high power outputs, so whats your point to that statement?
__________________

...Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. It's just that yours is stupid...

Last edited by DSMer : 12-19-2004 at 09:37 PM.
DSMer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2004, 05:46 AM   #37
What
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Costa Nocha
Posts: 652
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMer
The fact that a Supras engine can hold 800HP on stock internals has no weight in any decision factor, or at least it should'nt.

Thats a very blanket statement. Where are you going with it? What is this 800HP going do to? As I've stated before, usless horsepower means nothing when it comes time to use it. If a 600AWHP STi can skyrocket through the quartermile faster than 800WHP Supra then what basis will being able to hold that power on stock internals mean? What does having a stronger stock engine over a lighter, more efficient aluminum prove? Its not as if the Subarus engine can not hold high power outputs, so whats your point to that statement?

No, it's not useless horsepower. An 800 hp Supra will beat a 600 hp STi. When you get that high in horses, you don't race on the street, you race on a drag strip, and you use slicks. But I'm not suggesting that Supras should be bought to be made into 800 hp monsters. No, I didnt. Dumb bitch, I was saying that a Supra's engine can handle 800 hp on stock internals if you choose to go that high. In other words, if you decide to mod a Supra, you can be confident that your engine won't blow.

Ya dumbass bitch, strong stock internals are important because that's less money you have to pay upgrading and buying sh*t to strengthen your engine.


Stop trying to be a poet, or a philosopher.
What is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2004, 05:54 AM   #38
What
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Costa Nocha
Posts: 652
I guess that I should also add that I would choose the Supra because it looks better.
What is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2004, 05:58 AM   #39
GreekWarrior
CF Extraordinaire
 
GreekWarrior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: "Down-under"
Posts: 2,369
Quote:
Originally Posted by What
An 800 hp Supra will beat a 600 hp STi.

That ones up for debate.
__________________

GreekWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2004, 06:04 AM   #40
What
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Costa Nocha
Posts: 652
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreekWarrior
That ones up for debate.
No, it isn't. Unless the driver sucks, there is no reason for an 800 hp Supra with slicks to lose to a 600 hp STi with slicks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMer
If it is evidently true that a Supra can get from 0-100 faster than a Subaru but can not get through the quartermile faster than the Subaru. Both cars finish the quarter mile at over 100mph so this tells one thing.

The Subaru reaches its peak Horsepower and Torque output slightly later than the Supra(Hey what do you know, the Supra peaks at 5600 and 6000 for the STi)...

You have no f*cking idea what you are talking about.
What is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2004, 06:17 AM   #41
GreekWarrior
CF Extraordinaire
 
GreekWarrior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: "Down-under"
Posts: 2,369
Quote:
Originally Posted by What
No, it isn't. Unless the driver sucks, there is no reason for an 800 hp Supra with slicks to lose to a 600 hp STi with slicks.

Just because car A has more power then car B dosen't mean that car A will win. There are other factors other that power to consider.
__________________

GreekWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2004, 06:22 AM   #42
What
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Costa Nocha
Posts: 652
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreekWarrior
Just because car A has more power then car B dosen't mean that car A will win. There are other factors other that power to consider.
Factors like what? What factor does the Sti have over a Supra that will overcome a 200 hp disadvantage.
What is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2004, 07:04 AM   #43
GreekWarrior
CF Extraordinaire
 
GreekWarrior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: "Down-under"
Posts: 2,369
Quote:
Originally Posted by What
Factors like what? What factor does the Sti have over a Supra that will overcome a 200 hp disadvantage.

The Sti has AWD, a closer gear ratio and is lighter. The supra having 800hp would suffer from traction problems, even with slicks. Traction problems start occuring at 600hp, the reason for this is because the supra has too much torque for it own good. For that reason when supras are used in japanese circuit races the 2JZ is usually swaped out for either a 4 cylinder or V8, I've even seen many people use RB26's from GTR's simply because the produce LESS torque. So the equation isn't all ways as simple as More Horsepower = More speed.
__________________

GreekWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2004, 07:22 AM   #44
What
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Costa Nocha
Posts: 652
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreekWarrior
The Sti has AWD, a closer gear ratio and is lighter. The supra having 800hp would suffer from traction problems, even with slicks. Traction problems start occuring at 600hp...

Top fuel dragsters don't have traction problems. How many horses do they carry?

I don't know what slicks you're talking about, but any decent pair of slicks will have no problem handling 800 hp. AWD will only help the STi slightly off of the line, and the 250 lb. weight advantage that it has is sucked up easily by the 200 HORSEPOWER advantage the Supra would have.

With only a 15 horsepower advantage, and the lack of slicks, the Supra is only a few ticks slower through the quarter mile, but has a higher trap speed. I'm sure if you add 185 horsepower and slicks to that advantage, the gap would be eclipsed.

Be logical.

I'm willing to bet that a 600 hp STi would be slower than an Enzo through the 1/4 mile. For comparison, the 800 hp Hennessey Viper can run the quarter mile in the low 10's with a trap speed above 140 mph.....WITHOUT SLICKS.

Last edited by What : 12-20-2004 at 07:24 AM.
What is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2004, 07:41 AM   #45
GreekWarrior
CF Extraordinaire
 
GreekWarrior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: "Down-under"
Posts: 2,369
Quote:
Originally Posted by What
Top fuel dragsters don't have traction problems. How many horses do they carry?

I don't know what slicks you're talking about, but any decent pair of slicks will have no problem handling 800 hp. AWD will only help the STi slightly off of the line, and the 250 lb. weight advantage that it has is sucked up easily by the 200 HORSEPOWER advantage the Supra would have.

With only a 15 horsepower advantage, and the lack of slicks, the Supra is only a few ticks slower through the quarter mile, but has a higher trap speed. I'm sure if you add 185 horsepower and slicks to that advantage, the gap would be eclipsed.

Be logical.

I'm willing to bet that a 600 hp STi would be slower than an Enzo through the 1/4 mile. For comparison, the 800 hp Hennessey Viper can run the quarter mile in the low 10's with a trap speed above 140 mph.....WITHOUT SLICKS.

I don't care about SLICKS, I'm trying to make a point that just because the supra has 200hp more than the Sti does not mean it's faster. Where's your proof? You've just expressed your opinion. As for the top fuel dragsters they have had extensive work done to them, we are comparing STREET cars here not drag cars.
__________________

GreekWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:35 PM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2002 - 2011 Car Forums. All rights reserved.