Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Domestic Cars
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-15-2004, 12:35 AM   #1
83camaro
CF Newbie

How would you adjust a the gap between a door and the side panels on a 83 Camaro?

My camaro's pasanger side door gap (behind the front wheel well) is smaller towards the top of the car and wider to the bottom, which is chipping my paint, and making the door difficult to open from the inside.. How would i go about fixing the gap? I believe that the person who owned it before me somehow got the bottom of the front passangerside panel (the rear part of the wheel well) dented in just a bit (cant really tell) would i have to hammer it back into shape or what? Thanks in advance

Firebreed
Old 12-17-2004, 10:17 PM   #2
CoRPS
CF Newbie

Not that I really know what you could do to fix it, but I'd love to see your Camaro.

Here's mine
http://www.LevineXB.net/glory.JPG
CoRPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2004, 11:20 PM   #3
83camaro
CF Newbie

What year? my clear coats chippin but ill take a pic and post it.

83camaro
Old 12-18-2004, 08:35 AM   #4
83camaro
CF Newbie

Here a side view of my Camaro, (And yes thats my 1992 Geo Prism parked next to it lol)

and heres a pic of my hood, Clear coat Chipping and all, although its not as bad as the (Edit:top) is.

Last edited by 83camaro : 12-19-2004 at 02:42 AM.
83camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2004, 04:15 PM   #5
camaro67
CF Newbie

ok you could take off the panel find the little dented part and hammer it out, but b4 goingthru all that work have you just made sure to see if the panel is alligned properly? sometimes you can just shift a panal to make it line up try that first if not hammer the bitch
camaro67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2004, 05:53 PM   #6
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Ok, can you lift th edoor slightly on it's hinges when it's open? Those cars had a tendency for the hinges to get worn easy (the doors are rather heavy) and then they tend to sag.

While the proper repair would be replacing the hinge bushings, you can adjust it, as well. If you open the door all the way, you can see some of the hinge bolts. But the ones you really need to get to are under the kick panels in teh footwell ahead of the door. Leave the lower hinge fairly tight, loosen the top hinge (3 bolts) and move it forward a tiny amount (this will pivot it on the bottom hinge and bring the rear of the door upwards).

You can also adjust the door striker upwards a tiny bit to match.

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2004, 07:01 PM   #7
83camaro
CF Newbie

Angry

Thanks guys, i will try that out, (Quick note if you look at my last post, and look at the top pic you can see the gap that i need to fix )

83camaro
Old 12-20-2004, 07:52 PM   #8
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Ok, I had it backward. the front gap is what your'e working on, and that particular direction is a bit odd, so it's not caused by sagging hinges. Don't move the hinges forward at the top...

Is teh gap even at the back and down the bottm? Is the window still lined up with the window seal?

You wil indeed have to fix the front fender. Pull the lower part at the bottom of the wheelwell ******d. If you do it right, it should pull the upper fender away from the door AND make the lower gap smaller (which is what it should have).

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 04:35 PM   #9
83camaro
CF Newbie

The window has just Started to come out of alinement (hitting the side of the door everytime i roll it up, but im gonna fix that as soon as summer comes, too cold right now, Only in the 40's where i live and no heater where i would be working at) the gap is a bit big on the bottom (maybe 1/8 bigger then the other side), Ill print out this post, and let you all know how it goes when it gets a bit warmer out side

83camaro