Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-16-2004, 01:43 AM   #1
JaneiR36
CF Freak

Maaco "Presidential" paint service

Anyone know if this is any good? They are advertising it on TV, regularly $500, on sale for $250 in their shops around the country.

I'm a little skeptical that this is any good because I've read that paint jobs really do cost a lot and the cheap ones are going to start peeling early (are generally inferior). Does anyone know what this service entails, and how long the completed job might last?

I should also mention that their "Ambassador" service is what normally costs $250.... or maybe they're just BS'ing us and changing the name here and there but it's the same thing
JaneiR36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004, 09:05 PM   #2
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Maaco paint is Maaco paint, no matter how much it costs.

There is one way to get a good job from Maaco. Do all the prep work yourself, mask it yourself, and supply them with the paint from a real bodyshop supply company. And then pay them to take the time to do it right. Might as well go to a real shop.

Maaco uses cheap synthetic enamel it buys in large drums, and when you specify a higher grade paint, they add a urethane catalyst to it. If you specify a clearcoat, it's the same cheap paint manufacturer that supplies the clear. In no case do they pay their people enough to do decent work, so the people working there are not usually very experienced, or careful. Masking is a lost art there, as is careful prep (sanding properly, etc).

Funny thing is, by the time you get to where you think you are getting their good work, you are paying almost as much as a real body shop would charge to use proper materials and spend a decent amount of time prepping.

The ONLY cars I've been close to being impressed with coming out of Maaco have been cars that the owner partially disassembled (so there was no trim to mask), and had been prepped, sanded, and primed before it got there. AND that the owner fully assumed would have to be color sanded and buffed out afterwards, and didn't care that the solid color paint was a cheaper catalized synthetic enamel...

Their bodywork generally costs the same as other shops, and it's done by the same underpaid people that paint the cars there.

The only reason to use them is to get a dirt cheap paint job on a car you are just getting rid of.

ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2004, 12:50 AM   #3
DPelletier
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisV
Maaco paint is Maaco paint, no matter how much it costs.

There is one way to get a good job from Maaco. Do all the prep work yourself, mask it yourself, and supply them with the paint from a real bodyshop supply company. And then pay them to take the time to do it right. Might as well go to a real shop.

Maaco uses cheap synthetic enamel it buys in large drums, and when you specify a higher grade paint, they add a urethane catalyst to it. If you specify a clearcoat, it's the same cheap paint manufacturer that supplies the clear. In no case do they pay their people enough to do decent work, so the people working there are not usually very experienced, or careful. Masking is a lost art there, as is careful prep (sanding properly, etc).

Funny thing is, by the time you get to where you think you are getting their good work, you are paying almost as much as a real body shop would charge to use proper materials and spend a decent amount of time prepping.

The ONLY cars I've been close to being impressed with coming out of Maaco have been cars that the owner partially disassembled (so there was no trim to mask), and had been prepped, sanded, and primed before it got there. AND that the owner fully assumed would have to be color sanded and buffed out afterwards, and didn't care that the solid color paint was a cheaper catalized synthetic enamel...

Their bodywork generally costs the same as other shops, and it's done by the same underpaid people that paint the cars there.

The only reason to use them is to get a dirt cheap paint job on a car you are just getting rid of.

Yep,
Costs more than $500.00 for the supplies to properly prep and paint a car.
DPelletier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2004, 01:35 AM   #4
gageplate
CF Newbie

i have been working with maaco for the last two years and don't believe all you hear. We do take the time time tape and the paint is all top quality. i would go for the deal. talk to the shop and find out the experiece of the taper. good luck.
gageplate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2004, 02:04 AM   #5
JaneiR36
CF Freak

I wish I could believe that, gageplate. To tell you the truth, a Maaco paint job was done on this car about three years ago, and now its peeling terribly at the hood, mainly on the area towards the grill. Strangely enough, the rest of the car is okay! well.... except some areas on certain panels that are just starting to dull. The color is dark green.

That's pretty interesting what you've said, ChrisV. In order to get a decent paint job, I'd have to prep it myself, AND buy the paint... he he. At this point, I'm strongly considering just renting some tools and doing it myself. It's only one panel that's really horrible, the rest could probably be maintained as is.

Oh, one more question, must you have an airtight (is that what it is?) room before doing any stage of painting a car? How badly would it come out if you did it outside?
Old 12-18-2004, 02:52 AM   #6
83camaro
CF Newbie

Well ill put it this way, the lady who owned my camaro took it to Maaco, and Now the everywhere from the hood to the back of the car (basicly from bummper to bummper) is pealing(AFTER two years!)... Now if that is the kind of paint job you get from Maaco then i can see that Maaco wont be around in my area much longer...

83camaro
Old 12-18-2004, 06:48 PM   #7
mazda6man
im JDM TITE YO!

maaco = poop... in my opinion... my mom had her truck painted, with the presidential package... chippin on away and its not even a year gone by
My rides = 1992 Cressida aka "the Cressy"
1985 Cressida aka "pain in my asshole"

mazda6man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2004, 08:47 PM   #8
gageplate
CF Newbie

maaco is the BEEEEEEST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-18-2004, 09:36 PM   #9
SuperJew
I like pie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gageplate
maaco is the BEEEEEEST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

well of course you're going to say that, you work for the damn company.

CF's Resident Pimp Slapper

Pimp Slap Count (as of 30 May 2004): 34
SuperJew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2004, 10:03 PM   #10
JaneiR36
CF Freak

lol.... I wonder if he would accept a Maaco paintjob in place of one of his paychecks

It's as if they treat painting like something you'd do for regular maintenance....... ie, drain and flush coolant, Automatic transmission fluid, paint car, etc........ Most people just want a car that has paint, period. and not want to have to think about it another day in their lives.
Old 12-19-2004, 12:14 AM   #11
StiMan
CF Retired Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by gageplate
i have been working with maaco for the last two years and don't believe all you hear. We do take the time time tape and the paint is all top quality. i would go for the deal. talk to the shop and find out the experiece of the taper. good luck.
Sorry gageplate but we cant believe someone who works for them, of course you are going to say good stuff about them! About Maaco: I have heard the same about the jobs, cheap and crappy. Take it some where else Janei!

StiMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2004, 06:05 AM   #12
gageplate
CF Newbie

i have had both of my cars done with them and all look good. going on two years
Old 12-20-2004, 03:26 PM   #13
DSMer
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneiR36
Oh, one more question, must you have an airtight (is that what it is?) room before doing any stage of painting a car? How badly would it come out if you did it outside?

Airtight? Yeah Sure go ahead and get an airtight chamber and paint a car. You'll be as stiff as a doorknob by this time tommorow. Haha, airtight.... No Jane you need air circulation, and lots of it. This can be done with fans and filters.

Well depending on what you mean by outside? I've seen guys make paint booths out of pvc and plastic sheets. Some air gets in, but not to the point it will flaw the paintjob. I would'nt consider doing any kind of automotive painting outside because for 1.) Its illegal and 2.) You'll get contaminents in the paint.

...Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. It's just that yours is stupid...
DSMer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2004, 03:33 PM   #14
JaneiR36
CF Freak

well, that bites.

lol @ airtight. I think the phrase I was going for was "dust proof." I certainly had no idea it was illegal to paint outside.
Old 12-20-2004, 03:45 PM   #15
DSMer
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneiR36
well, that bites.

lol @ airtight. I think the phrase I was going for was "dust proof." I certainly had no idea it was illegal to paint outside.

Have you ever used a paint gun before? It creates large ammounts of what painters like to refer to as overspray. So if you're painting your car blue(outside of course), generally you'll have a large dusty-like cloud of blue atomized paint particles floating arround. I don't think the government is fond of that floating arround in the, nor your next door neighbors.

...Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. It's just that yours is stupid...
DSMer is offline   Reply With Quote