Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-20-2004, 04:37 PM   #16
JaneiR36
CF Freak
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 701
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMer
Have you ever used a paint gun before?

I actually have not I guess that explains that. heh.
JaneiR36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2004, 05:30 PM   #17
ChrisV
The Big Meaney
 
ChrisV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: People's Republic of Maryland
Posts: 3,714
Actually, I've painted quite a few cars outside, or in carports, though I try not to. Touch ups and panels are easy to do outside. If you use an HVLP gun, (like my SataJet) there is hardly any overspray. I painted my Fiat in my garage and didn't even have to put up plastic, the only overspray being directly under the car (you can see on the masking how far the pattern extends...)









Again, part of it is in getting good tools and good materials. Acrylic urethane or polyester urethane basecoat/clearcoat like this is easy, as you really don't need to go for gloss in the color, meaning it's easy to put on without runs or dust. And the clear can have a bit of dust in the upper surface, as you're just going to hit it with 2000 grit sandpaper and buff it out when done.
__________________
I'm not mean. You're just a wuss.



www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 02:36 AM   #18
JaneiR36
CF Freak
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 701
wow...... that is one shiny coat. You da Man, ChrisV!

How long did a job like that take you?
JaneiR36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 02:52 AM   #19
DSMer
CF Extraordinaire
 
DSMer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 1,639
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneiR36
wow...... that is one shiny coat. You da Man, ChrisV!

How long did a job like that take you?

Haha, proabably a few hours for an experienced person like ChrisV. For a newb, about 3 hours reading directions alone and then another hour doing practice shots to calibrate the gun. Then another few hours to paint the car, that is once you get your mojo going.

Notice how he has a fan though Jane. Circulation is key, and you would'nt really want overspray getting into your house in a connected garage. Also notice that ChrisV has a SataJet gun. Sata is like the Ferrari of paint guns(Is'nt that their motto?). Very good stuff but extremly expensive.

ChrisV if you don't mind embelishing me with a little of your knowledge. What kind of paint are you using? What kind of air compressor do you have and what kind of filter system are you using with that?
__________________

...Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. It's just that yours is stupid...
DSMer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 03:47 AM   #20
gageplate
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 72
painters do spraying all the time outside. if your careful, the overspray is no big deal. as for the Government, do worry about them. who's checking.
gageplate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 04:55 PM   #21
ChrisV
The Big Meaney
 
ChrisV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: People's Republic of Maryland
Posts: 3,714
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMer
Haha, proabably a few hours for an experienced person like ChrisV. For a newb, about 3 hours reading directions alone and then another hour doing practice shots to calibrate the gun. Then another few hours to paint the car, that is once you get your mojo going.

Pretty much spot on.

Quote:
Notice how he has a fan though Jane. Circulation is key, and you would'nt really want overspray getting into your house in a connected garage.

Actually, I have a fan to keep the dust down. You want air and dust to be pullled away from the car, to minimize what ends up in teh paint. Iv'e seen pros in big-dollar paint booth's end up with dust in the paint. it's just going to be there. It's surprising, however, how easy it is to minimize with good airflow.

Quote:
Also notice that ChrisV has a SataJet gun. Sata is like the Ferrari of paint guns(Is'nt that their motto?). Very good stuff but extremly expensive.

Yeah, my gun was almost $500. But I bought it about 8 years ago to do a high end job and it paid for itself the first time out. Before that I had been using a very similar Sharpe gun (DeVilbiss has a nice one, also) that I lent to a friend who ruined it by putting catalized Imron through it and didn't clean it out.

You can get cheap SataJet clones for about $100, and for a first paint job would be just fine. As long as it sprays even with no splattering or spitting.

Quote:
ChrisV if you don't mind embelishing me with a little of your knowledge. What kind of paint are you using? What kind of air compressor do you have and what kind of filter system are you using with that?

Normally I use PPG (Ditzler) basecoat clearcoat, but there is only one store locally that carries it, and they are closed anytime I could get there (open 9-5 M-F), so I tried R-M Diamont. It took a bit to get the right ratio of components, but it sprays very nice and even.

My compressor is a 45 gallon Sears 6 hp unit. It's still a bit small, as it has a hard time keeping up with the D/A and larger air tools, though it's overkill for the paint gun. I used to have a dessicant setup and dryer, but for the most part, a good disposeable filter at the gun end is all I use (one per paint session) and the gun itself has another water trap on it.

Here's the car after the last coat of color went on, before the clear. Notice how much it shades to purple, which doesn't show in the final color unless under the right light. Also notice the color being even, but zero gloss. This is the way you want the basecoat to look.

__________________
I'm not mean. You're just a wuss.



www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 08:47 PM   #22
DSMer
CF Extraordinaire
 
DSMer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 1,639
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisV
Yeah, my gun was almost $500. But I bought it about 8 years ago to do a high end job and it paid for itself the first time out. Before that I had been using a very similar Sharpe gun (DeVilbiss has a nice one, also) that I lent to a friend who ruined it by putting catalized Imron through it and didn't clean it out.
You can get cheap SataJet clones for about $100, and for a first paint job would be just fine. As long as it sprays even with no splattering or spitting.

Yeah I have a DeVilbiss gun. Costed $150. I was planning on using it to paint a car on my upcoming project once it gets warmer(damn Chicago weather). I was'nt really sure that I could get good performance out of the gun, but I guess since you've used one similar to it it has to be at least decent


Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisV
Normally I use PPG (Ditzler) basecoat clearcoat, but there is only one store locally that carries it, and they are closed anytime I could get there (open 9-5 M-F), so I tried R-M Diamont. It took a bit to get the right ratio of components, but it sprays very nice and even.


I'm not to familair with popular brands of automotive paint. I was simply going to order some basecoat and clearcoat from House of Kolor(HOK).

Quote:
My compressor is a 45 gallon Sears 6 hp unit. It's still a bit small, as it has a hard time keeping up with the D/A and larger air tools, though it's overkill for the paint gun. I used to have a dessicant setup and dryer, but for the most part, a good disposeable filter at the gun end is all I use (one per paint session) and the gun itself has another water trap on it.

45 Gallon? Hmm, thats probably one of their older models. The newer stationary are about 60 Gallon 7HP. Overkill for the gun? Are you saying it has more than enough power for the gun? I could work arround crappy power with air tools, but I'm just worried about a compressor that may not be able to keep up with the gun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisV
Here's the car after the last coat of color went on, before the clear. Notice how much it shades to purple, which doesn't show in the final color unless under the right light. Also notice the color being even, but zero gloss. This is the way you want the basecoat to look.

How many coats were your base and how long did you flash each coat?

**EDIT**
Also I know alot of HVLP guns run at arround 10-16CFM @40PSI. Your compressor is 45Gallon 6HP and it has got to be lower than 10CFM. I can't seem to find any compressors short of a 60Gallon 7HP(These things are huge like 5 feet tall) to support at the most 12CFM @ 40PSI. Is there an alternative solution, or could a mini HVLP gun with a larger cup work. Do you know any particular brands of guns that run at generally 8PSi and lower?
__________________

...Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. It's just that yours is stupid...

Last edited by DSMer : 12-21-2004 at 10:04 PM.
DSMer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2004, 05:31 PM   #23
ChrisV
The Big Meaney
 
ChrisV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: People's Republic of Maryland
Posts: 3,714
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMer
Yeah I have a DeVilbiss gun. Costed $150. I was planning on using it to paint a car on my upcoming project once it gets warmer(damn Chicago weather). I was'nt really sure that I could get good performance out of the gun, but I guess since you've used one similar to it it has to be at least decent

DeVilbiss or Sharpe HVLP guns will work fine, as long as they are gravity feed. Never had a problem.

This is my Sata:




Quote:
I'm not to familair with popular brands of automotive paint. I was simply going to order some basecoat and clearcoat from House of Kolor(HOK).

House of Kolor is where I'm getting the paint for my Comet. I've used their stuff on a lot of customs, but it's pricey. Absolutely easiest to buff out though, with excellent ability to be taped out for multi-color jobs.



Quote:
45 Gallon? Hmm, thats probably one of their older models. The newer stationary are about 60 Gallon 7HP. Overkill for the gun? Are you saying it has more than enough power for the gun? I could work arround crappy power with air tools, but I'm just worried about a compressor that may not be able to keep up with the gun.

Actually it's only 2 years old. But it's a 110V unit, not a 240, as i coulnd' trun a 240 in teh garage.

it's this one with the larger tank:



An even smaller unit will work with the paint gun, as it doesn't use much air. But the 30 gallon and up units are better, as the compressor doesnt' have to run as much, keeping the amount of water in the compressed air to a minimum. A 60 gallon is best. My last setup had a 10hp compressor on a 60 gallon tank, hard lined to a second 60 gallon tank with a large water trap and dryer attached. But that was more for a production shop. A hobbyist (which is all I am now) doesn't need much more than what I have.



Quote:
How many coats were your base and how long did you flash each coat?

3 coats total on the base: one "mist coat" then 2 wet coats, along with a bit of evening up misting in differnt spots to ensure complete coverage and no striping of the metallic. Flash time is the time it takes me to get around to the lasdt panel. It's ready for the next coat immediately. Then it sits overnight before the clear goes on.

Quote:
**EDIT**
Also I know alot of HVLP guns run at arround 10-16CFM @40PSI. Your compressor is 45Gallon 6HP and it has got to be lower than 10CFM. I can't seem to find any compressors short of a 60Gallon 7HP(These things are huge like 5 feet tall) to support at the most 12CFM @ 40PSI. Is there an alternative solution, or could a mini HVLP gun with a larger cup work. Do you know any particular brands of guns that run at generally 8PSi and lower?

All of them do. The rating is the MAX flow, but in reality, you'll never use that much. Ever. My Sata is the NR95 (since discontinued, the 2000 is the replacement) and it has no problem painting with not just my compressor, but smaller ones. I used a 5 hp laydown 25 gallon compressor at one shop to do a paint job, and it was still fine. Could NOT use the D/A, but painting wasn't an issue.
__________________
I'm not mean. You're just a wuss.



www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2004, 06:42 PM   #24
DSMer
CF Extraordinaire
 
DSMer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 1,639
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisV
All of them do. The rating is the MAX flow, but in reality, you'll never use that much. Ever. My Sata is the NR95 (since discontinued, the 2000 is the replacement) and it has no problem painting with not just my compressor, but smaller ones. I used a 5 hp laydown 25 gallon compressor at one shop to do a paint job, and it was still fine. Could NOT use the D/A, but painting wasn't an issue.

So a gun that rated at 10-16CFM should work fine on a 33 Gallon 6HP model rated at about 8-9CFM? I never knew that. I was also told that if the gun can run for 2 minutes on a compressor without loossing pressure(by having a regulator at the tip of the gun and viewing) it should be fine. So I may replace my DeVelibiss for a better SataJet model because I sacraficed the quality of the gun attempting to purchase one that was rated more towards a CFM that I would expense wise be able to afford in a compressor.
__________________

...Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. It's just that yours is stupid...
DSMer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 07:30 PM   #25
klnshavn
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Boise
Posts: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneiR36
Anyone know if this is any good? They are advertising it on TV, regularly $500, on sale for $250 in their shops around the country.

I'm a little skeptical that this is any good because I've read that paint jobs really do cost a lot and the cheap ones are going to start peeling early (are generally inferior). Does anyone know what this service entails, and how long the completed job might last?

I should also mention that their "Ambassador" service is what normally costs $250.... or maybe they're just BS'ing us and changing the name here and there but it's the same thing
you get what you pay for. the Macco hear in Boise doesnt do bad qwork if you know th e guy and the owner does the work, the Paint is Sherwan Williams, so its not bad, but its the prep that could suck.
__________________
lifes a bitch then the car brakes down
klnshavn is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:47 PM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2002 - 2011 Car Forums. All rights reserved.