Honda Accord Coupe V6, leather and all the goodies 4 44.44%
Alfa Romeo 166 3.0 V6 Super Lusso steptronic 1 11.11%
Other, you tell me! 4 44.44%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-25-2004, 10:47 PM   #1
cinqyg
CF Freak

Replacement car

Hi looking for a car about 6500 GBP to spend and upto a group 17 insurance.

Need someting entertaining and fun but can eat up motorway driving, the girlfriend lives 120 miles from me.

Current ideas are
cinqyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2004, 12:25 AM   #2
b_DuB13
CF Enthusiast

GET THE 99 ACCORD SE.
3.0 liter vtec oh yeahhh
^_^

PROJECT CAR:
1982 datsun 280zx
121,000 ish miles.
non turbo (for now)
3 speed auto (for now)
silver, black detail.
(pics soon)
b_DuB13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004, 11:29 PM   #3
cinqyg
CF Freak

I have this feeling that alot of people arnt replying because of GBP

1GBP = 1.9USD
Old 12-30-2004, 05:45 PM   #4
Aaron@carforum
CF Newbie

whats up with the gbp yeah!!
Old 12-30-2004, 06:47 PM   #5
JaneiR36
CF Freak

cinqyg, your question is a little broad........ you haven't even mentioned the ball park as far as cars you might be interested in. Also I don't know what means group 17 insurance or anything like that. Just some ideas to make your question more understandable
JaneiR36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2004, 09:21 PM   #6
mazda6man
im JDM TITE YO!

go alfa
My rides = 1992 Cressida aka "the Cressy"
1985 Cressida aka "pain in my asshole"

mazda6man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 11:43 AM   #7
cinqyg
CF Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneiR36
cinqyg, your question is a little broad........ you haven't even mentioned the ball park as far as cars you might be interested in. Also I don't know what means group 17 insurance or anything like that. Just some ideas to make your question more understandable

insurance in the uk runs on groups. 1 is a fiat panda, 20 is a ferrari, they also havea suffix letter telling you about the security. ie E is enhanced, A is acceptable.

Well essentially i cant find a car which fills all my requirments every day of the week. 4x4 is great until you have to go and fill it up or take your girl out in it. estate well definately good for work fit all my stuff in it but then the girl problem again. sports car well all fine and dandy until i go and buy a new gearbox for one of my track cars. your seeing the problem.

I also need to tow boats and cars so ideally a turbo diesel, but then the girl problem again.

So I have tried to find a sensible car which looks attractive but not in a blaringly obvious come and key me way. That can town my boat and cars, i can fit a TV in etc and fit all my work stuff in. Dont want something that will forever be in the garage or i am having to fix becuase the garage wants to charge me alot of cash.

I would also like to be able to keep up with fast traffic ( we cruise at 85-90mph over here in the uk) and becuase its crowded alot of heavy braking to avoid shunts etc.

Would like leather or 1/2 leather. needs to have heated seats or a good heater, and either a sunroof or A/C.

Need to look the part when im o business so crawling out of a low slung track car isnt an option and motor bikes are out becuase of the large amount of wet weather and changing out of your leathers before you meet a customer is a bit silly. Equally silly is going to meet the MD in bright orange and green kawazaki leathers.

I am interested in the whole life cost not just the sticker price, so depretiation and maintance are important. This not going for something which needs specially servicing ie subaru or holds its value like a sieve holds water ie pacific rim cars, daewoo, kia etc.
Old 01-05-2005, 11:27 PM   #8
Car Nirvana
CF Enthusiast

Av a look at a Saab 95, you may even be able to get an Aero. To me it meets all your requirements

Noble M400 = Good bye M3 CSL and 911 GT3
M400 Lap time 52.60sec
911 GT3 Lap time 54.20sec
M3 CSL Lap time 54.75sec

And just for you Cliffy.....
M400 On the road 18/20
M3 CSL On the road 12/20
Review from Autocar
Car Nirvana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 11:29 PM   #9
cinqyg
CF Freak

yeah ive seen one on ebay today actually, my alfa drive has been put back until friday as its having a new clutch.
Old 01-08-2005, 04:23 AM   #10
Cliffy
CF Loafer

I'd steer clear of anything Alfa myself mate, most of them suffer technical issues occuring at a reasonably low mileage and considering the engines most 'higher' performance Alfa's are fitted with, the power and accelaration leaves an awfull lot to be desired, although it may only be me who's experienced problems with various Alfas in the past that's making me feel that way, plus I've never really liked Italian cars, either lol.

If I were you I'd choose something Japanese so atleast you'll have something reliable that'll start, come rain or shine. I think the Accord sounds like a good choise, although I wouldn't rule out a Honda Prelude 2.2 i-Vtec as a T-Plater can be picked up for just 4000, yeah, yeah, I know, It's not a four year old motor, but for your 4000 you get Electric windows and Sunroof, A/C, Four Wheel Steering, Leather clad upholstery, Alloy wheels and reliability which you'll need given the mileage you'll cover going to see the missus...Oh, and the 4WS is great on roundabouts, handles like a train!

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 01:13 AM   #11
cinqyg
CF Freak

yeah, shes just had her wisdom's done so lots of trips to guildford for me, and im stuck sleeping on the floor. she knows how to keep me happy! lol

In the car front well not until monday to test the alfa, so it is giving me the impression that 240bhp, FWD and italian arnt really the best combination especially as its a special eddition jobie. I am geting horible vissions of more understeer than a hovercraft. I think i should drive one just to make sure!

Did think about the prelude, but not a fan of the styling. The insurance seems to be quite high for what it is. The 240sx seemed like another idea but same there styling allover the place.

Going to look at a S80 aswell but they seem hard to come by with leather. Omega has crept on the list of things to try, but seemd to be overpriced and leather hard to come across in the 2.2 DTi Elite/CDX

The 9-5 Tid and seem like an idea, the HOT is proving very difficult to insure, more likely to get insirance for a T5 than a HOT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy
I'd steer clear of anything Alfa myself mate, most of them suffer technical issues occuring at a reasonably low mileage and considering the engines most 'higher' performance Alfa's are fitted with, the power and accelaration leaves an awfull lot to be desired, although it may only be me who's experienced problems with various Alfas in the past that's making me feel that way, plus I've never really liked Italian cars, either lol.

If I were you I'd choose something Japanese so atleast you'll have something reliable that'll start, come rain or shine. I think the Accord sounds like a good choise, although I wouldn't rule out a Honda Prelude 2.2 i-Vtec as a T-Plater can be picked up for just 4000, yeah, yeah, I know, It's not a four year old motor, but for your 4000 you get Electric windows and Sunroof, A/C, Four Wheel Steering, Leather clad upholstery, Alloy wheels and reliability which you'll need given the mileage you'll cover going to see the missus...Oh, and the 4WS is great on roundabouts, handles like a train!
Old 01-11-2005, 08:30 PM   #12
cinqyg
CF Freak

Drove the 166, i know its not a 5 series, but it does everything a 5 series seems to do and more, understeer that is. Seroius about buying the car just seems to be a bit pricey so im going to make the guy an offer tomorrow, one thing any opinion about reliablity on Alfas 80k+ miles???
Old 01-26-2005, 09:03 PM   #13
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinqyg
Drove the 166, i know its not a 5 series, but it does everything a 5 series seems to do and more, understeer that is. Seroius about buying the car just seems to be a bit pricey so im going to make the guy an offer tomorrow, one thing any opinion about reliablity on Alfas 80k+ miles???
*pass tense* I think reliability is an issue on all or atleast most Alfa's lol. Just give her a good lookin' at, that's the best you can do I guess, good luck. PS sorry for the delay, how did it go?

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005, 06:31 PM   #14
cinqyg
CF Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy
*pass tense* I think reliability is an issue on all or atleast most Alfa's lol. Just give her a good lookin' at, that's the best you can do I guess, good luck. PS sorry for the delay, how did it go?

Well so far so good, few things to get sorted out, but boy oh boy is it smooth, and very quick.

Favourite past time is to tease the boy racer corsa's, sit at the lights give them the looks, they charge into the distance on amber, i start on green and tear past them. Get some strange looks from bobby's. Probibly think ive stolen my dads car. 22 yr old in a 3 litre 166, ummm lol.
Old 01-28-2005, 07:06 PM   #15
DSMDriver
CF Newbie

Umm If you want to get some gas mileage get a Civic Hybrid, although they are not that pretty they get 70 miles to the gallon.
DSMDriver is offline   Reply With Quote