Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Asian Imports
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-21-2005, 12:44 AM   #46
DSMer
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88GrandPrixSE
The manufactuers of engines don't build the engine to withstand more power than it can make stock.

That statement probably has to be the stupidest thing I've ever heard in the history of anything that even deals arround cars.

If that were even remotley true then companys that downgrade engine horspower to achieve better fuel economy or whatever have you would mean that the downgraded HP would be all that the engine was capable when in fact its capabale of more by simply removing the process of what they went through to downgrade the engine.

If that were true then companys would'nt offer their own performance upgrades for their own engines, because according to you the engine was'nt built to withstand more power than it can make stock... Your logic is faulty in every way shape and form. Every engine can withstand more power than it does off the assembly line.

If what you were saying was true that would mean that an engine that produces 200HP would be at its maximum physical output under full load wich would severly decrease the reliability of the engine. You are just so far from the truth its not even funny. Engines are made to work within a range of power that will increase the logevity and quality of its functioning.

I'm compelled to ask where in the world did you get that idea from?

...Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. It's just that yours is stupid...
DSMer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 12:51 AM   #47
88GrandPrixSE
CF Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMer
That statement probably has to be the stupidest thing I've ever heard in the history of anything that even deals arround cars.

If that were even remotley true then companys that downgrade engine horspower to achieve better fuel economy or whatever have you would mean that the downgraded HP would be all that the engine was capable when in fact its capabale of more by simply removing the process of what they went through to downgrade the engine.

If that were true then companys would'nt offer their own performance upgrades for their own engines, because according to you the engine was'nt built to withstand more power than it can make stock... Your logic is faulty in every way shape and form. Every engine can withstand more power than it does off the assembly line.

If what you were saying was true that would mean that an engine that produces 200HP would be at its maximum physical output under full load wich would severly decrease the reliability of the engine. You are just so far from the truth its not even funny. Engines are made to work within a range of power that will increase the logevity and quality of its functioning.

I'm compelled to ask where in the world did you get that idea from?

Haha, you're an idiot, i'm not even going to argue with you anymore, I'll just leave it at we work really closely with Chrysler.
Old 03-21-2005, 12:55 AM   #48
DSMer
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88GrandPrixSE
Haha, you're an idiot, i'm not even going to argue with you anymore, I'll just leave it at we work really closely with Chrysler.

Right or is it that you can't explain why you said what you said. Keeping in mind that Chrysler helped create my engine wich has been a proven fact to handle 105 more HP on a completly stock engine. So I'm all ears lets hear your reason for being.

By not answering you agree that your statements make no sense.

Old 03-21-2005, 01:08 AM   #49
Wally
I Know More Than You

AFAIK for years the Japs used precision engineering to achieve confidence intervals that US manufacturers achieved by engineering in redundancy and latent inefficiency.

I would feel more at ease whacking forced draught on a Jap rather than a say a Buick 3.8 aesthmatic. Even then I would uprate the pistons and conrods as a minimum, with a great deal of thought to the crankshaft.
Old 03-21-2005, 01:19 AM   #50
DTMBaller
CF Newbie

Quote:
By not answering you agree that your statements make no sense.
that is the biggest bullshit statement i have heard.

"Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory lasts forever"
DTMBaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 01:22 AM   #51
DSMer
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally
AFAIK for years the Japs used precision engineering to achieve confidence intervals that US manufacturers achieved by engineering in redundancy and latent inefficiency.

I would feel more at ease whacking forced draught on a Jap rather than a say a Buick 3.8 aesthmatic. Even then I would uprate the pistons and conrods as a minimum, with a great deal of thought to the crankshaft.

Evenstill, those are just measurments you can take to ensure the logevity of said engine. Even you could'nt sit there and tell me my engine will never be stronger, more efficient, or more powerful than it was when the company engineered it. Thats ludicrious... The whole principle of aftermarket modification is to create/engineer something better than what was given off the assembly line...

Old 03-21-2005, 01:28 AM   #52
Godlaus
UnFedFat in Disguise

Quote:
Please, dispense with the formalities.. just call me Sir

lol, how about we just call you; "oh captain my captain"?

Quote:
I like how everybody believes N2O won't grenade your engine here. It won't eat the engine unless you run it lean, sure, but what about the extra power? So you're basically telling everybody that running 300hp from a motor that's only made to make 200hp isn't going to hurt it? Wrong. The manufactuers of engines don't build the engine to withstand more power than it can make stock. You think people just toss a turbo or supercharger system on their vehicle and that's it? No. Even though a Turbo or Supercharger won't pump out such an increase in power, they still modify the motor itself, or it will eventually grenade itself. The motor would need new rods, a new crank and possibly new pistons. The motor will not last if you pump more power through it than it's made for, it's common sense.

I'm still trying to figure out why you brought this up... I covered this in my thread, that some people believe too much power is being put out and wears too much on the engine, which is also why i gave short list of other things to upgrade.

Here's another concept for you; a car immediately starts to die the day you buy it, it's slowly grenading itself, that much is a given. it's just the rate at how it decays that is the subject at hand. yes, with higher performance parts, the engine tends to decay faster, provided you didn't touch any other part of the engine.

Nitrous is not 'good' for your engine (neither is starting it up, mind you), but it's not as dramatically evil as you put it.
Old 03-21-2005, 01:45 AM   #53
DTMBaller
CF Newbie

no nitrous is the devil. it is creating hell in my motor...well not mine but anyone who uses it. just ask your motor. i asked mine. it told me if i used nitrous it would granade itself. and for the price it costs to rebuild my motor. ha. lets just say it would cost more then your whole car DSMer.

Old 03-21-2005, 01:53 AM   #54
DSMer
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTMBaller
no nitrous is the devil. it is creating hell in my motor...well not mine but anyone who uses it. just ask your motor. i asked mine. it told me if i used nitrous it would granade itself. and for the price it costs to rebuild my motor. ha. lets just say it would cost more then your whole car DSMer.

Hmm, would'nt be the first time somones told me that. And as I told them last time if you're paying in excess of $32,000 for a motor to be rebuilt you should probably get a second price from another mechanic.

Old 03-21-2005, 01:57 AM   #55
DTMBaller
CF Newbie

there is no way your car is worth 32k dollars. you may thinks so. you may have wasted that much money on it and mods and stuff combined. but if you were to go to sell it you would have a snowballs chance in hell of getting that much.

Old 03-21-2005, 02:10 AM   #56
Godlaus
UnFedFat in Disguise

Quote:
there is no way your car is worth 32k dollars. you may thinks so. you may have wasted that much money on it and mods and stuff combined. but if you were to go to sell it you would have a snowballs chance in hell of getting that much.

maybe he's not planning on selling it

besides, he probably spent that money because he loves doing what he does, modding his car.
Old 03-21-2005, 02:14 AM   #57
Wally
I Know More Than You

Quote:
Evenstill, those are just measurments you can take to ensure the logevity of said engine. Even you could'nt sit there and tell me my engine will never be stronger, more efficient, or more powerful than it was when the company engineered it. Thats ludicrious... The whole principle of aftermarket modification is to create/engineer something better than what was given off the assembly line...

On the contrary I think US inspired engines are intrinsically agricultural, although I'm sure there are exceptions to the rule. This allows more scope for modifications, which I might say satisfies a large segment of your domestic tinkerers if the forums are anything to go by.

Being agricultural gives you more degrees of freedom to precision engineer, whereas Jap engines tend not to follow legacy trails and are precise to start with, therefore more focus by enthuisists to modfiy peripheral gear like, exhausts, TBs, turbo's, etc. Jap engines are also designed for decent fuel.
Old 03-21-2005, 02:30 AM   #58
DSMer
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:

Exactly what car are we talking about?

Old 03-21-2005, 02:35 AM   #59
DSMer
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
On the contrary I think US inspired engines are intrinsically agricultural, although I'm sure there are exceptions to the rule. This allows more scope for modifications, which I might say satisfies a large segment of your domestic tinkerers if the forums are anything to go by.

Being agricultural gives you more degrees of freedom to precision engineer, whereas Jap engines tend not to follow legacy trails and are precise to start with, therefore more focus by enthuisists to modfiy peripheral gear like, exhausts, TBs, turbo's, etc. Jap engines are also designed for decent fuel.

So are you saying that US inspired engines have been purposley engineered to be mal-efficient than that of a Japaneese inspired engine mainly because our consumers like the ability to precision engineer or create something that conforms to their needs?

Not that it does'nt make sense, it makes good thought I've just never looked at it from that perspective.

Old 03-21-2005, 02:48 AM   #60
Wally
I Know More Than You

I think the persistent pushrodasauris in the GM range will bear testament to the howls of protest that erupted when they rumoured wholesale change to the V8 line. There was already a DOHC multivalve V8 waiting for the nod in Melbourne GM, when a decision to protect jobs & aftermarket segments meant the LS1 would become the global powerplant and the overhead cam one silently got lost somewhere.

Tis a big business the aftermarket sector. Don't you remember your then president taking the Japs to task about their infiltration in the US market, while keeping doors closed at home?

Brand and product loyalty a big seller = you betcha

Last edited by Wally : 03-21-2005 at 02:54 AM.
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote