Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-24-2003, 07:53 AM   #1
Machine
CF Newbie

Import / Muscle Wars

Anyone else noticing the way today's import coupes and sport sedans are kind of duking it out the way the American muscle cars did in the 60s and 70s here in the States? I think it's rather interesting...I mean, the Japanese imports claim to have agreed to keep their horsepower down in their production vehicles but are so easy to mod and make powerful...Now, the American manufacturers have always lauded their horsepower and torque, especially in the 60s and they got into blatant "wars" and took on certain models as flat-out rivals...The European manufacturers, in my opinion, have made their current battles pretty overt (always have, I think), with Audi taking on Benz and BMW recently (in my opinion)...I just think it's interesting that the "muscle" rivalries are back in the way of imports, especially in regards to the Asian manufacturers...Any thoughts? I'm not talking about arguing over domestics and imports- I'm talking about the import horsepower and performance wars and rivalries mirroring the domestic wars of the past...For example, the Subaru WRX STi openly punching it out with the Mitsubishi Lancer Evo...
Old 10-22-2003, 10:04 AM   #2
Phoenix
CF Newbie

personaly im a import person. i own a nissan 180sx and i love it. i have upped the boost to 16psi, and i walk all over big V8's. think about it...the 180sx is fast...lighter, and handles sooo much better, less registration and heaps more. so GO THE IMPORTS!!!!
Old 10-26-2003, 04:44 AM   #3
Cerebrex

how about reading the message before you post?
Old 10-26-2003, 05:06 AM   #4
ChevySuxD0ng
CF Enthusiast

lol. pheonix does seem to like to think he knows what he's talkin about.

Racing a honda is like being in the special olympics, even if you win you're still retarted.
ChevySuxD0ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2003, 07:10 PM   #5
Widowmaker2k
CF Enthusiast

Re: .........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix
personaly im a import person. i own a nissan 180sx and i love it. i have upped the boost to 16psi, and i walk all over big V8's. think about it...the 180sx is fast...lighter, and handles sooo much better, less registration and heaps more. so GO THE IMPORTS!!!!

How about this, I'll run 16 pounds of boost in my stang, and then we'll see who walks all over who. (Oh wait, 03' Cobra guys are already doing that, and they make over 500 horsepower with $400 worth of mods.)
Widowmaker2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2003, 08:24 PM   #6
ChevySuxD0ng
CF Enthusiast

very true widowmaker. VERY true...

Racing a honda is like being in the special olympics, even if you win you're still retarted.
ChevySuxD0ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 11:03 PM   #7
v8man
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Widowmaker2k
How about this, I'll run 16 pounds of boost in my stang, and then we'll see who walks all over who. (Oh wait, 03' Cobra guys are already doing that, and they make over 500 horsepower with $400 worth of mods.)

true that very true...
v8man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 11:12 PM   #8
Godlaus
UnFedFat in Disguise

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8man
true that very true...

gar., Don't revive old threads.

The cobra running at 16psi si nice, but do the same thing to the evo
http://srvidz.vidiac.com/Player.aspx...3-B2A6BE08B8A5

That's the link to a 600hp evo. On a $500 mod (wastegate).

Both are awesome cars.
----------------------------
BTT
I like the idea of this, as it is what is happening, but now that honda broke the gentleman's agreement, I expect to see another HP war going on overseas. But, there will always be rivals, and in the end, competition proves great for us.
Old 05-31-2005, 05:39 PM   #9
CarEXPERT
Banned

Someone help me... I LOVE asian cars because I think they can be made very fast cleaply,, but domestics V8s with like 300ci engines make hella hp and torque and if you put a blower on it, it can make 800hp easily.. I HATE DOMeSTICS BECAUSE IM ASIAN but domestics are fast but i gottta REPRESENT.
CarEXPERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 06:33 PM   #10
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarEXPERT
Someone help me... I LOVE asian cars because I think they can be made very fast cleaply,, but domestics V8s with like 300ci engines make hella hp and torque and if you put a blower on it, it can make 800hp easily.. I HATE DOMeSTICS BECAUSE IM ASIAN but domestics are fast but i gottta REPRESENT.

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 01:49 AM   #11
hhsrastler92
CF's Weekend Warrior

im torn between both i meen aint nothin like sum american muscle but then again imports an domestics are better handeling so im inbetween

^My kids^
hhsrastler92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 04:03 AM   #12
FordFromHell351
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix

You wanna test me son?
FordFromHell351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 04:10 AM   #13
FordFromHell351
Banned

Imports are fun sometimes in fact, right now I have a 1995 Saturn SL2 with a 2004 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec-V motor. Its extremely quick without anything after market done to the engine or exhaust or ECU, and will take most older (late 70s and 80s) V8s, but when I get up to the line with a newer V8 or a Mustang or Camaro that sounds really bad, I dont even wanna try it. Now my 98 Bonneville SSEi will take the newer Camaros and Mustangs. I took it out to the track last weekend and it ran a 12.91@119MPH.

But when Im on the streets in my Mustang, no little ricers in their so called "fast" Civics and what not will even try to get anything started with me.
Old 06-02-2005, 04:13 AM   #14
car_crazy89
Part Time CFer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordFromHell351
Imports are fun sometimes in fact, right now I have a 1995 Saturn SL2 with a 2004 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec-V motor. Its extremely quick without anything after market done to the engine or exhaust or ECU, and will take most older (late 70s and 80s) V8s, but when I get up to the line with a newer V8 or a Mustang or Camaro that sounds really bad, I dont even wanna try it. Now my 98 Bonneville SSEi will take the newer Camaros and Mustangs. I took it out to the track last weekend and it ran a 12.91@119MPH.

But when Im on the streets in my Mustang, no little ricers in their so called "fast" Civics and what not will even try to get anything started with me.
I'd try you, just for the hell of it lol. If theres no money or anything involved then i wouldnt care. Just gotta wait till i can drive

"Noone dies a virgin, life screws us all"
car_crazy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 04:21 AM   #15
FordFromHell351
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by car_crazy89
I'd try you, just for the hell of it lol. If theres no money or anything involved then i wouldnt care. Just gotta wait till i can drive

lol Kid, when you can drive you better KNOW how to handle a car Especially if you have a car with alot of power.