Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-02-2005, 04:27 AM   #16
car_crazy89
Part Time CFer

Well it'd be nice to have a lot of power and if i get a vehicle with alot then i'm not really going to abuse it (like street race and what not) maybe burnouts and donuts though . Plus, considering i want an older car it should be making ok amount of power, never gonna run anything like nitrous.

"Noone dies a virgin, life screws us all"
car_crazy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 04:35 AM   #17
FordFromHell351
Banned

Just make sure you know how to handle it. Dont ever get something your not ready to drive. A stock 1988 Mustang GT would be a perfect choice. And you cant beat the sound of the 5.0L 302 V8 from Ford, they just have that sound that all muscle cars should you know?

How old are you?
FordFromHell351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 04:45 AM   #18
car_crazy89
Part Time CFer

Well i had thought about the late 80's early 90's Mustangs and it'd have to be 5.0L. I am 15 turning 16 in September but am hoping to buy a car this summer (project, older).

Old 06-02-2005, 05:01 AM   #19
FordFromHell351
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by car_crazy89
Well i had thought about the late 80's early 90's Mustangs and it'd have to be 5.0L. I am 15 turning 16 in September but am hoping to buy a car this summer (project, older).

Here are some

1993 Mustang GT
The 93s were always one of my favorite years.
1992 Mustang LX 5.0L
1990 Mustang GT 25th Anniversary
Theres a project car for you thats in running condition.

Hopefully that got you thinking.
FordFromHell351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 05:05 AM   #20
car_crazy89
Part Time CFer

Thanx, i thought it was 93' when they changes styles but i guess it was 94'. I think you accidentally posted the same link twice (last two). And i've already been thinking about cars, change my mind every week lol. Still would love something 1975 or older as a project.

Old 06-02-2005, 05:14 AM   #21
pik_d
CF not-so-Freak

i like how absolutely noone is paying attention to what the thread was suposed to be about...

instead of import vs. muscle, he is drawing comparisons between the two.

well... really between the different companies. but hey, whatever...

there are ALOT of sporty FWD cars on the road now from japan. let me attempt to name a "few"...

eclipse, celica, integra, RSX, civic si, sentra spec-v, miata... etc.

anyways, i do think machine has a point. anyone care to talk about it?
pik_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 05:19 AM   #22
car_crazy89
Part Time CFer

Nothing wrong with fwd i just prefer rwd (my opinion). I just recently started liking imports. I'd talk about anything but i dont really know alot on these so i couldnt say much.

Old 06-02-2005, 12:51 PM   #23
fudge
let's fighting love

It's not just domestics and Europeans that have V8's, how about the 4 litre V8 from a Lexus Soarer into a Miata or FC3S

Or even a turbocharged Hayabusa engine into a Cappucino?

It's just that I like a bit of variety in cars, I don't like to confine myself to one group of cars. I like the rumble of a big V8 but I also like to roar of a VTEC engine at 10000rpm.
fudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 12:23 AM   #24
CarEXPERT
Banned

does anyone know why V8s and generally big liter engines make so much more torque than horsepower and the 4cylinder 1.6 litters-2.0 have little torque but a lot of horsepower. What does this mean?
CarEXPERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 01:23 AM   #25
99integra
CF's Florida boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarEXPERT
does anyone know why V8s and generally big liter engines make so much more torque than horsepower and the 4cylinder 1.6 litters-2.0 have little torque but a lot of horsepower. What does this mean?

It is mostly how the factory wants it to be, but in my opinion it is piston size and displacement.
Old 06-03-2005, 01:29 AM   #26
Godlaus
UnFedFat in Disguise

Quote:

The large displacement engines generally have a longer piston stroke, creating more torque, but won't rev as quickly

Smaller displacement engines have a shorter piston stroke, creating less torque, but can rev incredibly fast.

That's why the Ferrari Enzo has the same piston sizes (500cc per cylinder) as a civic, and puts out way less torque than horsepower. It's just the opposite of the big block V8's. The 454 cubed engine is something like 8 liters. That's 1 liter per cylinder. Twice the cylinder size of the enzo. It has a longer stroke, and creates more torque, but less horsepower.

And torque is force, horsepower is work

Force mulitplied by time is work.
Old 06-03-2005, 01:37 AM   #27
CarEXPERT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godlaus
The large displacement engines generally have a longer piston stroke, creating more torque, but won't rev as quickly

Smaller displacement engines have a shorter piston stroke, creating less torque, but can rev incredibly fast.

That's why the Ferrari Enzo has the same piston sizes (500cc per cylinder) as a civic, and puts out way less torque than horsepower. It's just the opposite of the big block V8's. The 454 cubed engine is something like 8 liters. That's 1 liter per cylinder. Twice the cylinder size of the enzo. It has a longer stroke, and creates more torque, but less horsepower.

And torque is force, horsepower is work

Force mulitplied by time is work.

wait, Honda engines have longer strokes than their bores. And do you know what rod-to piston stroke ratio is?? How does that work and what does it mean? What is longer stroke or rod...?? thanks
Old 06-03-2005, 01:39 AM   #28
Godlaus
UnFedFat in Disguise

Quote:
wait, Honda engines have longer strokes than their bores. And do you know what rod-to piston stroke ratio is?? How does that work and what does it mean? What is longer stroke or rod...?? thanks

Never heard of rod-to piston. It might be the connecting rod's length though, or the ratio of stroke to bore.

A longer stroke to rod ratio probably points to having a longer stroke to bore. So, the bigger the number, the bigger the difference between stroke and bore.
Old 06-04-2005, 11:12 PM   #29
CarEXPERT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godlaus
Never heard of rod-to piston. It might be the connecting rod's length though, or the ratio of stroke to bore.

A longer stroke to rod ratio probably points to having a longer stroke to bore. So, the bigger the number, the bigger the difference between stroke and bore.

accually no, I think if you have a bigger ratio, then the piston stays at TDC and BDC longer than usuall so you have more cylinder filling and stuff like that.
Old 06-05-2005, 01:41 AM   #30
Godlaus
UnFedFat in Disguise

Quote:
accually no, I think if you have a bigger ratio, then the piston stays at TDC and BDC longer than usuall so you have more cylinder filling and stuff like that.

That's what happens with a bigger stroke. Both our answers are correct.