Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-02-2005, 04:27 AM   #16
car_crazy89
Part Time CFer
 
car_crazy89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 2,849
Well it'd be nice to have a lot of power and if i get a vehicle with alot then i'm not really going to abuse it (like street race and what not) maybe burnouts and donuts though . Plus, considering i want an older car it should be making ok amount of power, never gonna run anything like nitrous.
__________________

"Noone dies a virgin, life screws us all"
car_crazy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 04:35 AM   #17
FordFromHell351
Banned
 
FordFromHell351's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 854
Just make sure you know how to handle it. Dont ever get something your not ready to drive. A stock 1988 Mustang GT would be a perfect choice. And you cant beat the sound of the 5.0L 302 V8 from Ford, they just have that sound that all muscle cars should you know?

How old are you?
FordFromHell351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 04:45 AM   #18
car_crazy89
Part Time CFer
 
car_crazy89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 2,849
Well i had thought about the late 80's early 90's Mustangs and it'd have to be 5.0L. I am 15 turning 16 in September but am hoping to buy a car this summer (project, older).
__________________

"Noone dies a virgin, life screws us all"
car_crazy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 05:01 AM   #19
FordFromHell351
Banned
 
FordFromHell351's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 854
Quote:
Originally Posted by car_crazy89
Well i had thought about the late 80's early 90's Mustangs and it'd have to be 5.0L. I am 15 turning 16 in September but am hoping to buy a car this summer (project, older).

Here are some

1993 Mustang GT
The 93s were always one of my favorite years.
1992 Mustang LX 5.0L
1990 Mustang GT 25th Anniversary
Theres a project car for you thats in running condition.

Hopefully that got you thinking.
FordFromHell351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 05:05 AM   #20
car_crazy89
Part Time CFer
 
car_crazy89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 2,849
Thanx, i thought it was 93' when they changes styles but i guess it was 94'. I think you accidentally posted the same link twice (last two). And i've already been thinking about cars, change my mind every week lol. Still would love something 1975 or older as a project.
__________________

"Noone dies a virgin, life screws us all"
car_crazy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 05:14 AM   #21
pik_d
CF not-so-Freak
 
pik_d's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Eastern USA
Posts: 802
i like how absolutely noone is paying attention to what the thread was suposed to be about...

instead of import vs. muscle, he is drawing comparisons between the two.

well... really between the different companies. but hey, whatever...

there are ALOT of sporty FWD cars on the road now from japan. let me attempt to name a "few"...

eclipse, celica, integra, RSX, civic si, sentra spec-v, miata... etc.

anyways, i do think machine has a point. anyone care to talk about it?
pik_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 05:19 AM   #22
car_crazy89
Part Time CFer
 
car_crazy89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 2,849
Nothing wrong with fwd i just prefer rwd (my opinion). I just recently started liking imports. I'd talk about anything but i dont really know alot on these so i couldnt say much.
__________________

"Noone dies a virgin, life screws us all"
car_crazy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 12:51 PM   #23
fudge
let's fighting love
 
fudge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,003
It's not just domestics and Europeans that have V8's, how about the 4 litre V8 from a Lexus Soarer into a Miata or FC3S

Or even a turbocharged Hayabusa engine into a Cappucino?

It's just that I like a bit of variety in cars, I don't like to confine myself to one group of cars. I like the rumble of a big V8 but I also like to roar of a VTEC engine at 10000rpm.
fudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 12:23 AM   #24
CarEXPERT
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Bay Area, California
Posts: 1,117
does anyone know why V8s and generally big liter engines make so much more torque than horsepower and the 4cylinder 1.6 litters-2.0 have little torque but a lot of horsepower. What does this mean?
CarEXPERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 01:23 AM   #25
99integra
CF's Florida boy
 
99integra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Piqua, OH
Posts: 6,099
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarEXPERT
does anyone know why V8s and generally big liter engines make so much more torque than horsepower and the 4cylinder 1.6 litters-2.0 have little torque but a lot of horsepower. What does this mean?

It is mostly how the factory wants it to be, but in my opinion it is piston size and displacement.
__________________
Current whip: walking
99integra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 01:29 AM   #26
Godlaus
UnFedFat in Disguise
 
Godlaus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,697
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarEXPERT
does anyone know why V8s and generally big liter engines make so much more torque than horsepower and the 4cylinder 1.6 litters-2.0 have little torque but a lot of horsepower. What does this mean?

The large displacement engines generally have a longer piston stroke, creating more torque, but won't rev as quickly

Smaller displacement engines have a shorter piston stroke, creating less torque, but can rev incredibly fast.

That's why the Ferrari Enzo has the same piston sizes (500cc per cylinder) as a civic, and puts out way less torque than horsepower. It's just the opposite of the big block V8's. The 454 cubed engine is something like 8 liters. That's 1 liter per cylinder. Twice the cylinder size of the enzo. It has a longer stroke, and creates more torque, but less horsepower.

And torque is force, horsepower is work

Force mulitplied by time is work.
__________________
I am everything you want to be
Godlaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 01:37 AM   #27
CarEXPERT
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Bay Area, California
Posts: 1,117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godlaus
The large displacement engines generally have a longer piston stroke, creating more torque, but won't rev as quickly

Smaller displacement engines have a shorter piston stroke, creating less torque, but can rev incredibly fast.

That's why the Ferrari Enzo has the same piston sizes (500cc per cylinder) as a civic, and puts out way less torque than horsepower. It's just the opposite of the big block V8's. The 454 cubed engine is something like 8 liters. That's 1 liter per cylinder. Twice the cylinder size of the enzo. It has a longer stroke, and creates more torque, but less horsepower.

And torque is force, horsepower is work

Force mulitplied by time is work.

wait, Honda engines have longer strokes than their bores. And do you know what rod-to piston stroke ratio is?? How does that work and what does it mean? What is longer stroke or rod...?? thanks
CarEXPERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 01:39 AM   #28
Godlaus
UnFedFat in Disguise
 
Godlaus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,697
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarEXPERT
wait, Honda engines have longer strokes than their bores. And do you know what rod-to piston stroke ratio is?? How does that work and what does it mean? What is longer stroke or rod...?? thanks

Never heard of rod-to piston. It might be the connecting rod's length though, or the ratio of stroke to bore.

A longer stroke to rod ratio probably points to having a longer stroke to bore. So, the bigger the number, the bigger the difference between stroke and bore.
__________________
I am everything you want to be
Godlaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 11:12 PM   #29
CarEXPERT
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Bay Area, California
Posts: 1,117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godlaus
Never heard of rod-to piston. It might be the connecting rod's length though, or the ratio of stroke to bore.

A longer stroke to rod ratio probably points to having a longer stroke to bore. So, the bigger the number, the bigger the difference between stroke and bore.

accually no, I think if you have a bigger ratio, then the piston stays at TDC and BDC longer than usuall so you have more cylinder filling and stuff like that.
CarEXPERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005, 01:41 AM   #30
Godlaus
UnFedFat in Disguise
 
Godlaus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,697
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarEXPERT
accually no, I think if you have a bigger ratio, then the piston stays at TDC and BDC longer than usuall so you have more cylinder filling and stuff like that.

That's what happens with a bigger stroke. Both our answers are correct.
__________________
I am everything you want to be
Godlaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
AMERICAN MUSCLE vs EUROPEAN IMPORTS j to tha luu General Chat 117 01-07-2005 06:50 AM
Looking for a good import in SoCal rozzy Asian Imports 0 07-04-2003 07:10 PM
$8k import: which is the best? General Chat 7 12-04-2002 03:16 AM



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:19 AM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2002 - 2011 Car Forums. All rights reserved.