Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Asian Imports
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-28-2004, 05:50 PM   #1
blazed
CF Newbie

Skyline GTR R34

Well im looking for a 2000 (or 2002) Skyline GTR R34, and i've been looking for them in the internet, im welling to pay any price; and i have a question, maybe im such a newbie, but are skyline's with left sided positions ? or there's only the right ones ?, i just wanna know, bcuz i dont know if there's any penalty here in Houston for driving a car like that, and if it's possible to get a left sided, my question is, where ?
blazed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004, 07:25 PM   #2
b_DuB13
CF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazed
Well im looking for a 2000 (or 2002) Skyline GTR R34, and i've been looking for them in the internet, im welling to pay any price; and i have a question, maybe im such a newbie, but are skyline's with left sided positions ? or there's only the right ones ?, i just wanna know, bcuz i dont know if there's any penalty here in Houston for driving a car like that, and if it's possible to get a left sided, my question is, where ?

They are right hand drive.
And if you really want a r34, be prepared to pay almost 100k for it.
and if you do get an r34, me love you long time.
Check out this here motorex site. THey are the only registered importer of the Nissan Skyline. They import them and mod them to fit legal US specifications.
www.motorex.net/skyline oh and BTW they discontinued the skyline in 01. ;D

PROJECT CAR:
1982 datsun 280zx
121,000 ish miles.
non turbo (for now)
3 speed auto (for now)
silver, black detail.
(pics soon)
b_DuB13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004, 09:16 PM   #3
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

J.K. TECHNOLOGIES
3500 SWEET AIR ST, BALTIMORE, MD 21211
410-366-6332
410-366-7655

I saw a crash tested Skyline at their shop a couple years ago. They are also registered importers for the cars (they also do the Smart cars, as well as many others).

Here's a list of other registered importers:

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/...t07142004.html

I've seen a couple on that list selling Skylines.

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2004, 10:03 PM   #4
ThirdeYe
CF Enthusiast

I see them on Japan-Partner often, but I don't know how legit their site is because they're insanely cheap.

http://www.japan-partner.com/auction...-for-sale.html
Old 12-29-2004, 10:27 PM   #5
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdeYe
I see them on Japan-Partner often, but I don't know how legit their site is because they're insanely cheap.

http://www.japan-partner.com/auction...-for-sale.html

they are insanely cheap because they are still in Japan, and need shipping and conversion done to come into this country. Add those costs, as well as a reasonable profit for the conversion business to stay in business, and you see that it' can get pretty expensive pretty quick.

www.midatlantic7s.com
Old 12-30-2004, 05:22 AM   #6
blazed
CF Newbie

Thnx both man i rlly appreciate it, so if i understand correctly i can make my skyline left handed ?

And 100k well, i mean i can pay that, although i think its too much, does anyone knows why a Skyline r34 its so expensive i mean it has the same performance that an Evo8 or im wrong, im srry if im, im a newbie 'bout
the skyline :S

blazed

Don't take life too serious.
Enjoy every rpm of it.
Old 12-30-2004, 06:01 AM   #7
Godlaus
UnFedFat in Disguise

Quote:
Thnx both man i rlly appreciate it, so if i understand correctly i can make my skyline left handed ?

And 100k well, i mean i can pay that, although i think its too much, does anyone knows why a Skyline r34 its so expensive i mean it has the same performance that an Evo8 or im wrong, im srry if im, im a newbie 'bout
the skyline :S

That you are, and no, even if you could make the skyline left hand drive, why would you? it's legal to drive cars right hand side in the USA, dunno where you live though. And no, it doesn't have the same performance of an Evo 8, this has alttesa in it (see other post) the same thing that I believe is in the ferrari Enzo. Also, the Nissan skyline has a restrictor chip in it. all mass-produced japanese cars are restricted to 270 horses when the skyline has around 340. Also, all mass-produced cars are required to have a govenor that stops acceleration at 70mph. So, replace the ECU and undo the govenor, and you got a very fast car. it's very easy to tune the thing also. Visit http://www.exvitermini.com They make an R34 do 0-60 in 4 flat with street tires and a stock bottom end. it's not expensive, it's around 50 grand, but it's the bringing it over to the states that makes it so expensive, that's why I would rather spend 80 grand on a viper and twin-turbo it, rather than spend 120 grand on a Nissan skyline R34. (The TT Viper does 0-140 10 SECONDS FASTER than stock). it's worth it if you're a skyline avid addict, but otherwise, like me, I wouldn't spend the money on it.
Old 12-30-2004, 03:34 PM   #8
StiMan
CF Retired Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godlaus
That you are, and no, even if you could make the skyline left hand drive, why would you? it's legal to drive cars right hand side in the USA, dunno where you live though. And no, it doesn't have the same performance of an Evo 8, this has alttesa in it (see other post) the same thing that I believe is in the ferrari Enzo. Also, the Nissan skyline has a restrictor chip in it. all mass-produced japanese cars are restricted to 270 horses when the skyline has around 340. Also, all mass-produced cars are required to have a govenor that stops acceleration at 70mph. So, replace the ECU and undo the govenor, and you got a very fast car. it's very easy to tune the thing also. Visit http://www.exvitermini.com They make an R34 do 0-60 in 4 flat with street tires and a stock bottom end. it's not expensive, it's around 50 grand, but it's the bringing it over to the states that makes it so expensive, that's why I would rather spend 80 grand on a viper and twin-turbo it, rather than spend 120 grand on a Nissan skyline R34. (The TT Viper does 0-140 10 SECONDS FASTER than stock). it's worth it if you're a skyline avid addict, but otherwise, like me, I wouldn't spend the money on it.
That ladies and gentlemen was a good post.

StiMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2004, 04:55 PM   #9
blazed
CF Newbie

Again thank you very much for all the info, it's like i said, im a newbie in the Skyline field, i have an 03 Evo8, i love the car, but i prefer the Skyline, the form and the lines make it so aggresive; the question about driving right handed, its because i drive a 88 Acura Integra right handed (manual transmision) a long time ago, and i could'n make the changes (1-2 2-3 etc etc) really fast, but i didn't care that time i mean, it wasn't a fast car, and it worries me that if i buy the Skyline and happens the same, i mean that is a fast car if you can't make the relations between the changes, what do you want a fast car for then?

Im just so calculative about everything i guess...

blazed

Don't take life too serious.
Enjoy every rpm of it.
Old 12-30-2004, 05:35 PM   #10
Godlaus
UnFedFat in Disguise

Quote:
Again thank you very much for all the info, it's like i said, im a newbie in the Skyline field, i have an 03 Evo8, i love the car, but i prefer the Skyline, the form and the lines make it so aggresive; the question about driving right handed, its because i drive a 88 Acura Integra right handed (manual transmision) a long time ago, and i could'n make the changes (1-2 2-3 etc etc) really fast, but i didn't care that time i mean, it wasn't a fast car, and it worries me that if i buy the Skyline and happens the same, i mean that is a fast car if you can't make the relations between the changes, what do you want a fast car for then?

Im just so calculative about everything i guess...

hahaha. Don't worry about the shift lag. Practice make perfect, you'll be fast over time.
Old 12-30-2004, 06:01 PM   #11
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godlaus
Also, the Nissan skyline has a restrictor chip in it. all mass-produced japanese cars are restricted to 270 horses when the skyline has around 340. Also, all mass-produced cars are required to have a govenor that stops acceleration at 70mph.

????

The "restriction" to 280 hp was a gentleman's agreement, not an actual legal restriction. The Skyline was merely rated at a different rpm than max power was made at...and then underrated. It actually made more power, and there wasn't any restrictor on that power. They just said it made less...

As for the speed restrictors, the ones set at 70 mph(approx) are on heavy trucks and busses, not passenger cars. Passenger cars are required to have them set at 180kph (or 112 or so mph).

www.midatlantic7s.com
Old 12-30-2004, 06:18 PM   #12
Godlaus
UnFedFat in Disguise

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisV
????

The "restriction" to 280 hp was a gentleman's agreement, not an actual legal restriction. The Skyline was merely rated at a different rpm than max power was made at...and then underrated. It actually made more power, and there wasn't any restrictor on that power. They just said it made less...

As for the speed restrictors, the ones set at 70 mph(approx) are on heavy trucks and busses, not passenger cars. Passenger cars are required to have them set at 180kph (or 112 or so mph).

Hmmmm.... will need to get my facts straight. Oh well, will do research on google to try and back up m claim. Are you sure about that 70 mph thing though? I was pretty sure that was right.
Old 12-30-2004, 09:06 PM   #13
b_DuB13
CF Enthusiast

If You Can Afford A Skyline Freaking Buy One.

PROJECT CAR:
1982 datsun 280zx
121,000 ish miles.
non turbo (for now)
3 speed auto (for now)
silver, black detail.
(pics soon)
b_DuB13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2004, 10:19 PM   #14
Godlaus
UnFedFat in Disguise

Do you think you should buy one over a TT Viper because of personal preference, or because you think it's faster?
Old 01-15-2005, 06:16 AM   #15
aerith
@#$%ing bored out of mind

It is true that it was only a Gentleman's agreement. A stock R34 was dynoed in the UK a couple of years ago, the results were 330hp. And by the way, the agreement is history now, now that Honda officially broke it by selling the Acura RL or the Honda Legend in Japan which is officially relased at 300hp in North American and in Japan. I know some of you are going to say "But didnt subaru release a 300hp WRX STi" Well the truth is that only the North American version is rated at 300 hp. In Japan it was rated at 276 like the skyline, Evolution. But now its all out and every man for himself. Japan better be ready for the HP wars, cause its coming. But keep in mind that the R34 dynoed in UK is the European version, the Japanese version may have physical limitations on it.

P.S. Damn!!! Blaze, what do you do? evo 8 and skyline? And in the states? where those are as expensive as hell?

--2004 Acura TL Dynamic--

Last edited by aerith : 01-15-2005 at 06:18 AM.
aerith is offline   Reply With Quote