Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Asian Imports
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-26-2003, 07:16 PM   #1
ferrarichika
CF Newbie

Please explain...

Can anyone explain to me the way a rotary engine works? I've always been intrigued by the concept, but never fully understood it. Any explanation or site links or anything at all would be apprreciated! Thanks!
Old 08-26-2003, 07:36 PM   #2
snoopewite
The 1st CF Entrepreneur

http//science.howstuffworks.com/rotary-engine.htm
snoopewite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2003, 11:44 PM   #3
mazda6man
im JDM TITE YO!

i gatta say, the wankle is probably... well, IS my favorite, it works out so well
My rides = 1992 Cressida aka "the Cressy"
1985 Cressida aka "pain in my asshole"

mazda6man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2003, 12:01 AM   #4
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazda6man
i gatta say, the wankle is probably... well, IS my favorite, it works out so well

Well... That explains everything.

Good call on the site Snoope.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2003, 12:32 AM   #5
snoopewite
The 1st CF Entrepreneur

Why thank you vwhobo )
snoopewite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2003, 10:48 PM   #6
ferrarichika
CF Newbie

Wow. That is truly amazing and seems like a great engine. I mean, it has less moving parts. But why don't they use them more often? It's only been used in the Rx-7 and now the Rx-8, right? Correct me if I'm wrong, please. But it seems like it would save time and money on repairs with fewer things that could go wrong. Thank you so much for the help!
Old 08-28-2003, 12:28 AM   #7
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrarichika
Wow. That is truly amazing and seems like a great engine. I mean, it has less moving parts. But why don't they use them more often? It's only been used in the Rx-7 and now the Rx-8, right? Correct me if I'm wrong, please. But it seems like it would save time and money on repairs with fewer things that could go wrong. Thank you so much for the help!

The rotary engine has been used in several cars and even a few motorcycles over the years. Unfortunately it's difficult to seal the rotors so reliability has been an issue, but continues to get better with ongoing technical updates.

They are also expensive to build due to the complex casting and machining processes involved. High maintenance costs are also a problem due to the fact that few people know how to work on them and when parts are unservicable they're more likely to need replacement instead of repair.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."

Old 08-28-2003, 01:07 AM   #8
Machine
CF Newbie

Amen to all that- my old team went through 13 rotaries in one of our RX-7...I told them NOS was a bad idea...
Old 08-28-2003, 03:07 AM   #9
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machine
Amen to all that- my old team went through 13 rotaries in one of our RX-7...I told them NOS was a bad idea...

Is that anything like "naws"?

Old 08-28-2003, 09:32 AM   #10
Machine
CF Newbie

Well, we call it NOS in Chicago...But I guess since I'm down here in Phoenix I can call it NAWS instead...Either way, the pronunciation and the chemical are bad...