Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-04-2005, 07:32 PM   #1
Freedom420
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 1
94 ford escort not getting fuel?

Hi all, I have a 94 escort 1.9 L. It appears not to be getting fuel. My wife had just drove it with no problems, I went to leave to work about 20 mins later and it wouldn't start. The motor turns over with no problem. I have a driveway that is about a mile long and right now lot's of snow...The bottom of the car rubs the whole way on the snow. (just thought that info maybe helpful) I pressed the little tire valve looking thing under the hood to see if gas would come out, none did. That's way i believe it's not getting fuel. I'm thinking maybe it's the fuel pump. But to be honest i've never heard the pump before. Is it located in the gas tank? When i get home from work today i'm going to turn the key on and stick my head in the trunk and see if i hear anything. Would you guys say i'm on the right track here?

Like i said i don't know much about cars so any input would be much Appreciated!

Thanks, Freedom420
Freedom420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 03:31 PM   #2
pshisbey
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 13
Either no fuel or no spark - check both.
pshisbey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 04:32 AM   #3
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice
 
vwhobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Redneck Hell
Posts: 8,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by pshisbey
Either no fuel or no spark - check both.
Are you sure pshisbey? If the timing belt is broken (not a diagnosis) it will still get fuel and spark but won't start. More thought, less typing.

If we're quite confident it's has zero fuel pressure, have we checked the inertia switch? It's a Ford after all.
__________________
Thanks for the pic, jedimario.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 05:25 PM   #4
kaiserscorner
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 1
Check the ignition module

You may want to check the iginition module (TPI? I think). It is located on the distributor and we had a similar problem with a couple of other fords and this is what it was.

This module not only regulates the spark it also send the computer a "signal" to allow the fuel injectors to open. When they go out the car wont start.

Ford had a many big lawsuits over this part but has profitted some 3 billion dollars by not fixing the problem.

Just a thought!

Good luck!

Mark Kaiser
kaiserscorner@juno.com
kaiserscorner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 04:26 AM   #5
bipolarjoe
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1
I had the same problem with the same make and model of car look in the trunk and on the left hand side behind the carpet inside the firewall is a emergency shutoff switch push and hold the button for a few secs and hope that does the trick all it took was a small bump to trigger mine. I pushed it and fixed it instantly hope this helps
bipolarjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 04:58 AM   #6
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice
 
vwhobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Redneck Hell
Posts: 8,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by bipolarjoe
I had the same problem with the same make and model of car look in the trunk and on the left hand side behind the carpet inside the firewall is a emergency shutoff switch push and hold the button for a few secs and hope that does the trick all it took was a small bump to trigger mine. I pushed it and fixed it instantly hope this helps
If you read the thread, you'd see that I also asked about the inertia switch over two months ago. He didn't respond to me, so don't hold your breath.
__________________
Thanks for the pic, jedimario.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 06:16 AM   #7
chris_knows
๑۩۞
 
chris_knows's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ontario, Canada Status:Trying to find my ish
Posts: 7,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
If you read the thread, you'd see that I also asked about the inertia switch over two months ago. He didn't respond to me, so don't hold your breath.
Closer to 14 months ago
__________________
chris_knows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 10:02 AM   #8
Cliffy
CF Loafer
 
Cliffy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: NE Hampshire, England, UK
Posts: 8,441
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_knows
Closer to 14 months ago
lol...Oh man...I was too late hehe. Hobo's usually hot on the tale of threads "this" old
__________________


Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 08:36 AM   #9
Golddragoner
CF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
Are you sure pshisbey? If the timing belt is broken (not a diagnosis) it will still get fuel and spark but won't start. More thought, less typing.

If we're quite confident it's has zero fuel pressure, have we checked the inertia switch? It's a Ford after all.

Question...if the timing belt was broken wouldn't it seriously screw up the engine since the pistons would be hitting the valves since the valves don't open or close?
Golddragoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 08:55 AM   #10
chris_knows
๑۩۞
 
chris_knows's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ontario, Canada Status:Trying to find my ish
Posts: 7,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golddragoner
Question...if the timing belt was broken wouldn't it seriously screw up the engine since the pistons would be hitting the valves since the valves don't open or close?
I'm pretty sure the 1.9L Escort was an interference engine, so the pistons would hit the valves.
__________________
chris_knows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 10:04 PM   #11
Golddragoner
CF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_knows
I'm pretty sure the 1.9L Escort was an interference engine, so the pistons would hit the valves.

Thats what I thought...so if vwhobo's suggestion was right, then I think the guy would have known because his engine would be completely screwed up and he would hear a big loud sound come from it
Golddragoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 12:23 AM   #12
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice
 
vwhobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Redneck Hell
Posts: 8,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golddragoner
Thats what I thought...so if vwhobo's suggestion was right, then I think the guy would have known because his engine would be completely screwed up and he would hear a big loud sound come from it
Stop right there. I DID NOT suggest that the timing belt was broken. DO NOT put words into my mouth. I was giving an example of another reason that the engine may not start.

Now, would you like to tell me when you ever heard an engine snap a timing belt and have "a big loud sound come from it"? I betcha can't because it doesn't. Think, type, submit.
__________________
Thanks for the pic, jedimario.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 08:00 AM   #13
Golddragoner
CF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 244
ok maybe not big loud sound, but it would definitly screw up an engine like this since its an interference. Now how about replying in my thread about my problem
Golddragoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 01:23 PM   #14
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice
 
vwhobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Redneck Hell
Posts: 8,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golddragoner
ok maybe not big loud sound, but it would definitly screw up an engine like this since its an interference. Now how about replying in my thread about my problem
Assumption #2. The '94 1.9 IS NOT and interference engine. And you give people on this forum advice. SCARY!
__________________
Thanks for the pic, jedimario.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 05:13 PM   #15
Golddragoner
CF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
Assumption #2. The '94 1.9 IS NOT and interference engine. And you give people on this forum advice. SCARY!

And how was I supposed to know? read up...I didn't assume it, someone told me..
Golddragoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:32 AM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2002 - 2011 Car Forums. All rights reserved.