Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2005, 12:21 AM   #1
Ki2AY
CF's Pond Scum

what is triptronic?

what is a tiptronic vehicle? can anyone explain that? thank you.

Last edited by Ki2AY : 01-07-2005 at 12:27 AM.
Ki2AY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 12:27 AM   #2
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ki2AY
what is a triptronic vehicle? can anyone explain that? thank you.
Try using search. That subject was covered a long time ago.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 03:38 AM   #3
Zalight
Who's house? Runs house.

A tiptronic vehicle is just a vehicle with a tiptronic transmission, which is one of those new fangled Manu-matics. You can use it just like a normal automatic or pop it over from drive into tiptron mode where you can change the gear of the vehicle by simply pushing the shifter forward or pulling it back to shift up and down respectively.
Old 01-08-2005, 04:25 AM   #4
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zalight
A tiptronic vehicle is just a vehicle with a tiptronic transmission, which is one of those new fangled Manu-matics. You can use it just like a normal automatic or pop it over from drive into tiptron mode where you can change the gear of the vehicle by simply pushing the shifter forward or pulling it back to shift up and down respectively.
Negatory Ghostrider. Triptronic is and always has been a name owned by Porsche. Right idea, wrong information.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."

Old 01-09-2005, 02:49 AM   #5
Zalight
Who's house? Runs house.

Maybe, but then what would explain the word tiptron written on the side of the shifter in my dads girlfriends Jetta 1.8t with an auto-stick in it.
Old 01-09-2005, 07:14 AM   #6
abless
CF Anti-Mullet

Tiptronic is the gear shifting system.

Triptonic is the Variable Cam (Valve Timing) System used by Porsche.
Old 01-09-2005, 09:39 AM   #7
GreekWarrior
CF Extraordinaire

I'm not sure which one he wants to find out if you notice he has put triptronic in his title and tiptronic in his post.

GreekWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 02:42 PM   #8
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Well damn, I'm glad you guys caught that. I was typing so fast that I used the word "Triptronic"... and I know better. Shame on me, I wonder where the hundreds of lurkers who just wait for me to make a mistake are at.

So, on to Tiptronic. As I said earlier it is a copyrighted name owned by Porsche. It's their name and the first semi-automatic transmission sold by a major automaker. Nowadays you'll see the specific technology and name used under license by VW, Audi, Saab, Alfa Romeo, and Mitsubishi. That's off the top of my head and may not be a complete list but if it's that important to you, search it.

Quote:
Maybe, but then what would explain the word tiptron written on the side of the shifter in my dads girlfriends Jetta 1.8t with an auto-stick in it.
If I let you use something that belongs to me, it's still mine even while you have it. Same thing. Instead of trying to catch me in a mistake, why don't you do something useful like develop and intelligent idependent thought.

Old 01-09-2005, 03:46 PM   #9
Tyko
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
Well damn, I'm glad you guys caught that. I was typing so fast that I used the word "Triptronic"... and I know better. Shame on me, I wonder where the hundreds of lurkers who just wait for me to make a mistake are at.

So, on to Tiptronic. As I said earlier it is a copyrighted name owned by Porsche. It's their name and the first semi-automatic transmission sold by a major automaker. Nowadays you'll see the specific technology and name used under license by VW, Audi, Saab, Alfa Romeo, and Mitsubishi. That's off the top of my head and may not be a complete list but if it's that important to you, search it.

If I let you use something that belongs to me, it's still mine even while you have it. Same thing. Instead of trying to catch me in a mistake, why don't you do something useful like develop and intelligent idependent thought.

But you did make a mistake, your trying to slime out of it
He didn't say it wasn't a Porsche name did he?
It looked as if you were saying it was just a name for Porsche & had nothing to do with a transmission lol. I could be wrong & might be reading it wrong myself.
Tyko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 04:10 PM   #10
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyko
But you did make a mistake, your trying to slime out of it
He didn't say it wasn't a Porsche name did he?
It looked as if you were saying it was just a name for Porsche & had nothing to do with a transmission lol. I could be wrong & might be reading it wrong myself.
Uh, no. If you read the post you're refering to he very specifically said "A tiptronic vehicle is just a vehicle with a tiptronic transmission, which is one of those new fangled Manu-matics." Not all semi-automatic transmissions are Tiptronics or use Tiptronic technology.

As a matter of fact in my response to that post I said "Right idea, wrong information." What idea do you think I was refering to, the ash tray system? So to answer your lingering question, yes... You're wrong.

Old 01-09-2005, 09:22 PM   #11
Tyko
CF Newbie

I wish your head was as smart as your ass...& yes I'm calling you a Smart Ass
Tyko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 09:25 PM   #12
BavarianWheels
Supreme Demagogue

Give me clutch and stick...(I haven't tried a tiptronic yet though)

Bav's Favorite Track Vehicle
Posts Deleted for Use of Profanity = 2
BavarianWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 09:38 PM   #13
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyko
I wish your head was as smart as your ass...& yes I'm calling you a Smart Ass
I'll take that as a compliment. I'd much rather be a smart ass than a dumb ass... like you.

Old 01-09-2005, 09:53 PM   #14
Zalight
Who's house? Runs house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
"A tiptronic vehicle is just a vehicle with a tiptronic transmission, which is one of those new fangled Manu-matics." Not all semi-automatic transmissions are Tiptronics or use Tiptronic technology.

Which is why I said a tiptron is " ONE of those new fangled manu-matics"

I didn't say every semi automatic transmission is a tiptron.
Old 01-09-2005, 10:05 PM   #15
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Which is why I said a tiptron is " ONE of those new fangled manu-matics"

I didn't say every semi automatic transmission is a tiptron.
Let me refresh your memory. You started by saying "A tiptronic vehicle is just a vehicle with a tiptronic transmission" which it is not. A tiptronic is a semi-automatic transmission designed by Porsche in conjunction with ZF and Bosch. A tiptronic is not a vehicle, it is a design of transmission. Am I making this clear enough for you yet?

The transmission in my '86 Dodge was designed and built by Borg-Warner. Would it be correct for me to call it a Borg-Warner? I think not. Why can't you simply accept what I said in my first post of this thread? "Triptronic is and always has been a name owned by Porsche. Right idea, wrong information." Other than the fact that I inadvertently misspelled the name, that is absolutely correct information. You on the other hand insist that your demonstrably incorrect information is right.

Has it ever occurred to you to wonder why you're incapable of being employed? Your attitude and inability to think logically just might have something to do with it.