Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Classic Cars
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-01-2006, 03:01 PM   #1
Spade
CF Enthusiast

More BS with my nova

Alright, sorry for always hasslin everyone about my nova that im gonna buy.

Appearently, when it ran in the fall. It was great.

After the owner placed it in the garage for the winter, it started running funny (I think one of the sparkplugs are loose). Also, the guages on the dashboard aren't hooked up either.
But this guy works hard, and just doesn't have time to play around with it any longer.
2700$

I want to buy it, i want to put into it. But, is it worth it?

How much (if it even is a sparkplug/what do you guys think it might be?) for the few minor adjustments, and guages (i know nothing about)...

I want a muscle car, and I want to put into it. All together, the exterior is amazing, I pretty much need to re-do the interior together (prolly 1,500). What about tuning it up? How much will this cost me? Or do you guys think i could do it just by posting here and asking questions?

Thank for the help everyone,
p.s. Ryan <3 CF

Last edited by Spade : 07-11-2006 at 11:12 PM.
Spade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 09:07 PM   #2
car_crazy89
Part Time CFer

That car actually looks to be in pretty good shape (even on the inside, minus the seats, but that's normal). I would guess that if it ran fine before he parked it for the season, that it probably only needs a tune-up (plugs, wires, filters, fluids, etc), and if you could do a tune-up yourself then it shouldn't really cost you anthing either. I would also say that the $1500 for interior work is alittle higher then it would cost (unless it's worse than the I can see in the pic..).

Really I would say that you could probably get that all done (and fairly nice, but easily under $4000-5000, and that's including the cost of the car).. plus interior doesn't matter that much, it's more a preference, so there would be no hurry to finish that.

Also, you were looking for wheels for it if I remember correctly.. why not just keep the ones that are on it (atleast for awhile), as I think they look pretty good on the car.

"Noone dies a virgin, life screws us all"
car_crazy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 11:55 PM   #3
Wally
I Know More Than You

I hate to be a party pooper, but surely a reality check is req'd here. You have been begging for money to buy this POS and now you are preparing to burn even more bringing it up to speed. Surely if you are a student, the aim is to complete your studies and find a good paying job that will then allow you to tinker with money pits. In the meantime a later model small car that runs on the smell of an oily rag would be more prudent.
Old 07-02-2006, 03:49 AM   #4
elchango36
WWJCD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally
I hate to be a party pooper, but surely a reality check is req'd here. You have been begging for money to buy this POS and now you are preparing to burn even more bringing it up to speed. Surely if you are a student, the aim is to complete your studies and find a good paying job that will then allow you to tinker with money pits. In the meantime a later model small car that runs on the smell of an oily rag would be more prudent.
Finally someone had the balls to say something. I didn't want to be an ass and start a flame-war, so I kept my thoughts to myself.
Old 07-02-2006, 12:53 PM   #5
corbett_auto
CF Addict

The price of the car seems fine, for some one with either mechanical know how, or deep enough pockets to pay a shop to fix it. Think about it, if you buy it, start putting money into it, and still can not bring it up to driving condition then what will you do? While this cars are fairly easy to maintain once in good condition, bring it to good condition may break your bank.

On one side it could only need a tune-up.....but what if the problems are much deeper, burnt valve, carb, etc.......
Old 07-05-2006, 04:20 PM   #6
glagon1979
daddy x3

all of the things that are wrong with the car are minor. most could be fixed in a day or two. i say buy it. $2700 is a nice price. wish i could find one that cheap around here.
Old 07-05-2006, 05:23 PM   #7
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Quote:
Originally Posted by glagon1979
all of the things that are wrong with the car are minor. most could be fixed in a day or two. i say buy it. $2700 is a nice price. wish i could find one that cheap around here.

On top of that, unlike a later model economy car, that Nova is no longer depreciating. So, after a minor tune up and the like, it will be worth more than you paid for it, and will always be worth more, so long as you don't beat it up and drive it into the ground.

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 12:06 AM   #8
Spade
CF Enthusiast

Everyones making a good point, but wally's reality check probably made the most.

Alls i know about this car is what the guys telling me. THe engine could be on the way out, i dont have the money. Looks like i might just have to wait a while for a nice car.
Spade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 03:51 AM   #9
Wally
I Know More Than You

Mate if you can take sensible advice and act on it you will probably succeed.

There is one thing I have learned about the wealthy = they know the value of a penny and they will make you pay a dollar to get hold of it. It's simply a matter of business sense; you don't strangle your cash flow, even for a non depreciating asset.
Old 07-06-2006, 03:53 AM   #10
What
Banned

The most responsible thing would be to wait or spend your money on a more reliable car. But you probably will never again find a deal this good. For $2,700, the car looks sweet. Ever considered bringing it to get a check up?
What is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 12:19 PM   #11
glagon1979
daddy x3

Quote:
Originally Posted by What
The most responsible thing would be to wait or spend your money on a more reliable car. But you probably will never again find a deal this good. For $2,700, the car looks sweet. Ever considered bringing it to get a check up?

glad to see you aren't pushing the whole mustang thing on this one.
Old 07-06-2006, 05:40 PM   #12
Benson
seeking snappy title.

Quote:

No, totally wrong. You still can find deals this good and even better, but you have to look. Even though mostly all the classic car market has got Barrett Jackson and eGay fever, there still are good people out there who don't sell cars for outrageous prices. Just have to ask around, maybe go to a few cruise nights or car shows. The deals are still there, just takes a bit of desire and will.
Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 08:13 PM   #13
Bronxie
Dont know crap about cars

I am not familiar with buying cars from private owners but couldn't you just have it inspected? I wouldn't go with what the seller says...he/she could say anything to sell you the car. "Yeah, it ran funny after it was in the garage but it's probably nothing."

I don't know. You have to remember that cars are not an investment, they are a liability as it is. Nobody needs a car that's even more of a liability based on previous-owner maintenance and such.

Hope this helps or something :\
Bronxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 08:21 PM   #14
What
Banned

Quote:
...you probably will never again find a deal this good...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benson
No, totally wrong. You still can find deals this good and even better, but you have to look.

Totally wrong? I didn't say it would be IMPOSSIBLE to find a deal this good.

It will be hard to match this deal in the future. People are constantly becoming more and more educated and aware of things...especially with the increasing use of the internet. It will get harder and harder everyday to find a deal like this again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glagon1979
glad to see you aren't pushing the whole mustang thing on this one.
Only bitches continue to nag on old issues. I can't count how many "remember when's" or "you used to's" and "you've done it before's" a bitch has told to me.

Stop before I shame you.
What is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 08:34 PM   #15
glagon1979
daddy x3

Quote:
Stop before I shame you.

i've been waiting for you to do that since the last time you said you would. you are the bitch. i've called you out twice now and still nothing. SHAME ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'M STILL WAITING!!!!