Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Classic Cars
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-2005, 06:19 AM   #16
xX1968MustangXx
Banned

People who hate ford...

Hmm...why would someone say FORD sucks, If you look at the facts...back then ford was out beating Chevy and Pontiac in everything...so both of them formed a bond known as GENERAL MOTORS...showing the fact that Ford was kicking there ass. I wanna know why people hate ford so much and what the rumor was going around that people started accepting it. cause ford had probably 1st or 2nd biggest engine know as the 563 Cobra Jet...
xX1968MustangXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 05:47 PM   #17
DPelletier
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by xX1968MustangXx
Hmm...why would someone say FORD sucks, If you look at the facts...back then ford was out beating Chevy and Pontiac in everything...so both of them formed a bond known as GENERAL MOTORS...showing the fact that Ford was kicking there ass. I wanna know why people hate ford so much and what the rumor was going around that people started accepting it. cause ford had probably 1st or 2nd biggest engine know as the 563 Cobra Jet...

This entire thread is ridiculous. I like Fords and for anyone to say that any particular brand is XXXX is just highlighting thier (extremely low) IQ. As far as this post goes;

- Ford was NOT " out beating Chevy and Pontiac in everything". The crown was worn by many and changed often, year by year and sport by sport (ie. NHRA, SCCA, NASCAR, etc.)

- General Motors had aquired Pontiac, Oldsmobile, Buick, etc. long before the musclecar era arrived.

- There was no car produced with a factory 563 ci Ford big block of any kind, especially a cobra jet which was originally a 428 FE series engine until the 429 "shotgun hemi" replaced it in '71.

Oh, and why use a V-8 instead of a 6cyl? There were some interesting sixes produced in the '60's and '70's (like Pontiac's "sprint six" OHC engine), and some of them were good and reliable motors, such as the Dodge 225 ci slant six and Ford's 300. What they weren't was particularly powerful. There isn't a 6 of that era that made even half the power of the big block supercar engines ( 427 L-88's, 454 LS-6's, 455 stage 1 Buicks, 455 W-30 Olds, 400 RAIV Pontiacs, 428 SCJ Fords, 440 6-Pak and 426 Hemi Chryslers, etc.)
6 cylinder engines do have some engineering advantages esp. for low RPM operation. My 5.9 Cummins Turbo-diesel in my pick-up(s) for instance, develops 600 ft lbs of torque (stock) and red-lines at only 3000 RPM. Torque curve is completely flat from 1400 rpm to 2700 rpm. It is a superb towing motor. Won't win any drag races with it, though.

Dave
DPelletier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 08:28 PM   #18
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Quote:
Originally Posted by xX1968MustangXx

Lol! The guy who doesn't even know what the Ford Windsor engine family is is giving out even more priceless gems of misinformation...

And the worst part is he is already on the internet, and in 20 seconds could have researched his claims and found how wrong he is (as usual).

General Motors was formed in 1908! The first part of the company was Buick, and teh conglomerate became official when Oldsmobile was sold to William Durant in November 1908. GM aquired Oakland Motor Car in 1909, and that division becomes Pontiac in 1932. Also, in 1909, GM bought out Cadillac. GMC is formed in 1911 as the outlet for Rapid and Reliance trucks (which are built by GM). And in 1915, Chevrolet joins GM. General Motors Company, becomes General Motors Corporation in late 1915.

Now how this translates in to Chevy and Pontiac joining forces beceuse Ford was beating them, is a mystery.

As for the imaginary "563" BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! The largest engine in a street Ford/lincoln car was the 462 cid MEL engine (MEL standsing for Mercury/Edsel/Lincoln), an engine family that included 383, 410, and 430 cid versions. the 462 was superceded in the late '60s by the 460 Lima, which was a larger displacement version of the 429. There was a 514 cid crate version of this engine, but not installed in a street car (the block is available from SVO in displacements ranging from 429 cid to 727 cid for Mountain Motor drag classes). As for the Cobra jets, there were 4: 428 Cobra Jet and Super Cobra Jet, bult from the FE series big blocks that included the famous 427, and the 429 Cobra Jet and Super Cobra Jet, which used the 429/460 block, and were the mild brothers of the BOSS 429 (which used an actual Hemi head on the 429 block).

While this is all stuff I already know, the information is easily available in 20 seconds with Google or any decent search engine. There is NO reason to spout off the kinds of misinformation found in that post...

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 11:06 PM   #19
durangoman
CF Newbie

Chevy 572 i believe is a bit larger
durangoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 06:04 PM   #20
DPelletier
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by durangoman
Chevy 572 i believe is a bit larger

True, although the GenV 572 ci big block is only available as a crate engine and was never installed in any automobile by the factory.

Dave
DPelletier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005, 04:44 AM   #21
BanffAutoSpa_ap
Pants The Ripper

Location: Southern Alberta Likes:Long walks on the beach.....after anal
but really, man... they did wrong with the 3.8L v6, in that asspect ford really sucked the choda.
Old 07-10-2005, 04:46 AM   #22
fedroger
CF Newbie

The Mustang is sweet. GM is lossing billions.
fedroger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2005, 05:13 AM   #23
TurboLag
CF's Bonafide Sonbitch

dude this thread is MONTHS old

p.s. Chevy kicks Ford's blue ass

Quote:
I am crazy. But you know what else? I don't give a ****.
-Tupac

Last edited by TurboLag : 07-10-2005 at 05:48 AM.
TurboLag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2005, 05:48 AM   #24
fedroger
CF Newbie

That's not the point.
fedroger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2005, 05:55 AM   #25
TurboLag
CF's Bonafide Sonbitch

yeah but no one has touched the thread in months.... Its old stuff bud

Quote:
I am crazy. But you know what else? I don't give a ****.
-Tupac
TurboLag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 09:53 PM   #26
72firebird
Banned

alright after reading alot of this bullshit. ive come up with a few things. how come no one mentioned the kammer? and also one of the main reasons (in my opinion) that ford was percieved as better than chevy youll have to look back into the mid-late 60s. the mustang came out and it was pretty damn cheap. then the camaro/firebird came out. now one of the reasons the mustang caught on so much and why it is still around today was from two reasons. marketing and price. they marketed the mustang pretty well and were selling it to everyone from highschool kids to buisness men. the other thing was price, the mustang came in at about 4-5 gs ( i think im not 100% sure and to lazy to look) where as the camaros/firebirds costed a whopping 7 grand. whereas in my opinion the firebirds/camaros looked alot better, that style came at a price that alot of people werent willing to pay. cause remember back then gas was a quarter a gallon and people were making like 10gs a year (again not sure on how much they made a year back in the 60s but it wasnt much) and thats alot of the reasons why the ford sold as well as it did and why people say ford is better. there cars may have been cheaper but ford made up for it with overpriced parts. and in my opinion theyre both about the same.
72firebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 07:21 AM   #27
nsupra27
CF Enthusiast

Personality, I think Ford is alot better then GM now, but before, like in the 70s, 80s and 90s GM was pretty good, but now Ford is doing ALOT better and their cars are built alot better.
One thing I dont like about GM is the fact that they cant bring back car styles for shit. New GTO looks like a ****ing Grand Am or just like all the other Pontiacs out right now.
Now look at the Mustang, that looks good.

Overall Ford > GM now.
Back then GM > Ford.
Old 07-12-2005, 07:43 AM   #28
car_crazy89
Part Time CFer

If talking older cars (60's-70's) i would say Dodge ruled them all, followed by Chevy and then Ford close behind Chevy . But thats just my opinion, i'm an old Dodge fan.

"Noone dies a virgin, life screws us all"
car_crazy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 07:48 AM   #29
Enthusiast
VTEC LOL

Man i got your back with old cars and mopar. Mopar ruled them all. They loves to cram big engines in little cars or even bigger engines in big cars. Look at the cuda. The highest selling muscle car of all time and probably one of the most bueatiful muscle cars to.
Old 07-12-2005, 05:53 PM   #30
72firebird
Banned

i dont know what crackhead you got that information from enthusiest. but the mustang has been and always will be the best selling muscle car of the 60s. and in the 70s no one sold as many cars as the pontiac firebird. too bad you seemed to be missinformed alot. but the cudas are a sweet car from the years 70-73.
72firebird is offline   Reply With Quote