Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2005, 10:03 PM   #1
dfownz
CF Newbie

'87 Monte Carlo Starter Replacement?

I need to replace a starter for an 87 Monte Carlo v6 4.0L. I know that its the starter, but I don't know exactly where it is located or how to go about taking it out.

Will I need to jack up the front of the car? The car can't be moved because it can't start, so I'll have to jack it up where it is right now if that's the case. Is there anyway to just go in through the hood to get to the starter?

If you have a picture of exactly where it is I would be forever greatful.

I know to disconnect the battery.

Thank you,

~DF
dfownz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 12:36 AM   #2
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfownz
I need to replace a starter for an 87 Monte Carlo v6 4.0L. I know that its the starter, but I don't know exactly where it is located or how to go about taking it out.

Will I need to jack up the front of the car? The car can't be moved because it can't start, so I'll have to jack it up where it is right now if that's the case. Is there anyway to just go in through the hood to get to the starter?

If you have a picture of exactly where it is I would be forever greatful.

I know to disconnect the battery.

Thank you,

~DF
I have 18 years experience working on '87 Monte Carlos and have never seen one with a "v6 4.0L". More information, or at least correct information would be a step in the right direction. Try this;

http://www.car-forums.com/talk/showthread.php?t=2200

More importantly, if you have so little experience that you don't know where the starter is, how can you with any authority determine that the starter is in fact the problem? Enquiring minds want to know.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 02:35 AM   #3
DodgeRida67
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
More importantly, if you have so little experience that you don't know where the starter is, how can you with any authority determine that the starter is in fact the problem? Enquiring minds want to know.
DodgeRida67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 03:26 AM   #4
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by DodgeRida67
Just so you know, I'm stealing that picture for future use. Thank you.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 05:37 PM   #5
dfownz
CF Newbie

I have absolutely no experience with Monte Carlos, I was simply told that it was a 4.0L. It isn't my car. I know what the starter looks like, and that it needs to be replaced. When the key is turned the engine never beings tumbling. I hear a rapid clicking, which would be the starter trying to engage the flywheel. I was simply asking for help finding out exactly where the starter was.
dfownz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 06:05 PM   #6
DodgeRida67
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfownz
I have absolutely no experience with Monte Carlos, I was simply told that it was a 4.0L. It isn't my car. I know what the starter looks like, and that it needs to be replaced. When the key is turned the engine never beings tumbling. I hear a rapid clicking, which would be the starter trying to engage the flywheel. I was simply asking for help finding out exactly where the starter was.

Or a bad connection, loose ground, or even a weak battery.
DodgeRida67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 05:27 AM   #7
MonteMan
CF Newbie

You sure they didn't say 5.0? that sounds more like it. Anyways jack up the car and go under from the front , right near the exhaust hook up , the starter will be there. when you take it will take some wiggling to get it around the exhaust at least it did in my 84 ss. I'm assuming they'll be pretty much in the same place.
MonteMan is offline   Reply With Quote