Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-07-2003, 10:03 PM   #1
gerber

Getting it Legal

Ok, I am pretty sure that this will vary from State to State but perhaps someone can point us in the right direction.

My dad bought a 1954 Ferrari 375MM a couple years back in Argentina. It is an old race car. We had some troubles in the restoration and have decided to modernize it somewhat. (some electrical, switch to a less explosive gas tank etc... )

Anyway I think he has decided he would like to have it available for rallys and other such casual driving. I was wondering how to find out what it will take to make it street legal. Does it only have to meet the requirments that a '54 Ferrari would have had to have met, or will it need more?

I assume it will need proper tail lights, brake lights, windshield wipers etc... etc... but will it need to meet any particular emmisions tests and such things?

Anyway, any info is appreciated. Or if you could point me in the right direction that would be great also!
Thanks in advance!
Gerb.

(Oh yeah... he has an NC or Florida address if either work better...)
Old 06-13-2005, 11:19 AM   #2
civisi99
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerber
Ok, I am pretty sure that this will vary from State to State but perhaps someone can point us in the right direction.

My dad bought a 1954 Ferrari 375MM a couple years back in Argentina. It is an old race car. We had some troubles in the restoration and have decided to modernize it somewhat. (some electrical, switch to a less explosive gas tank etc... )

Anyway I think he has decided he would like to have it available for rallys and other such casual driving. I was wondering how to find out what it will take to make it street legal. Does it only have to meet the requirments that a '54 Ferrari would have had to have met, or will it need more?

I assume it will need proper tail lights, brake lights, windshield wipers etc... etc... but will it need to meet any particular emmisions tests and such things?

Anyway, any info is appreciated. Or if you could point me in the right direction that would be great also!
Thanks in advance!
Gerb.

(Oh yeah... he has an NC or Florida address if either work better...)

A car of that age only needs to meet requirements of that age.....they didnt have emmisions backs then
civisi99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 06:08 PM   #3
8G Galant
CF Newbie

a car that old dosnt even legally need seatbelts! the only rules u need to follow are sound emissions u can still get pulled for that
8G Galant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 03:54 AM   #4
dano
CF Newbie

classic car plates should be all you need, then it can be restored to its era and any driver comforts are your decision
dano is offline   Reply With Quote