Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-15-2005, 06:06 AM   #1
CarEXPERT
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Bay Area, California
Posts: 1,117
Turbo Questions

hi.. why do people say when you use high boost your engine detonates. Is it better to have low compression or high in your engine? Honda's have weak engines so turbos are not good for them. Do you have to get aftermarket internals to run high boost in hondas?
CarEXPERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2005, 06:12 AM   #2
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice
 
vwhobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Redneck Hell
Posts: 8,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarEXPERT
hi.. why do people say when you use high boost your engine detonates. Is it better to have low compression or high in your engine? Honda's have weak engines so turbos are not good for them. Do you have to get aftermarket internals to run high boost in hondas?
1. Define high boost.

2. For what?

3. Really, that's new.

4. Refer to #1.
__________________
Thanks for the pic, jedimario.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2005, 06:16 AM   #3
CarEXPERT
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Bay Area, California
Posts: 1,117
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
1. Define high boost.

2. For what?

3. Really, that's new.

4. Refer to #1.

Hi Mr. Sir. Vwhobo... I read this artical that says you cant run more than 5-8 psi of boost on honda/acura engines because of the compression ratio. 5-8 psi wont get you much power so if you wanted to make more power without ****ing up your engine what do you need to do.
CarEXPERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2005, 06:25 AM   #4
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice
 
vwhobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Redneck Hell
Posts: 8,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarEXPERT
Hi Mr. Sir. Vwhobo... I read this artical that says you cant run more than 5-8 psi of boost on honda/acura engines because of the compression ratio. 5-8 psi wont get you much power so if you wanted to make more power without ****ing up your engine what do you need to do.
If this article is so filled with pertinent information, why doesn't it have the answer? Okay, maybe you don't know that, but... It would be much easier to address the article if we knew exactly what it said.
__________________
Thanks for the pic, jedimario.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2005, 06:28 AM   #5
Zalight
Who's house? Runs house.
 
Zalight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Albuquerque, New Mexico
Posts: 2,264
Running any sort of boost on your engine is more damaging to your engine then if you didn't run boost at all. This doesn't mean that by having forced induction you are going to blow your engine, it just means that you are putting it under more stress, and eventually might break something inside it.

As for the compression, that all depends, if you are trying to have a high power engine, the higher the compression the better. But if you are running a turbo or SC then you should run a lower compression to reduce the risk of detonation.

I don't know where you came up with the idea that honda engines are weak. Honda makes some of the most durable DOHC 4 cylinders out there, and they are coming along with there V6 technology as well, take the accoard as an example. Why do you think people can put a turbo and nitrous systems on their hondas and then still use their cars as daily drivers for 150,000 miles? While some of the less performance oriented engines will take to abuse like that far less complacently, Hondas more race oriented engines (such as the B or K series) will do this with much more ease.

Putting aftermarket internals are usually a great Idea when running a forced induction setup on any car, not just hondas.
__________________
1999 BMW ///M3
Zalight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2005, 07:05 AM   #6
b_DuB13
CF Enthusiast
 
b_DuB13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: jacksonville fl
Posts: 109
CarEXPERT: Do not believe everything you hear.

The reason some Honda engines don't respond to turbo very well is because of their VTEC (Variable Valve Timing and Electronic Control...I think)
I have heard from many credible sources the the Integra GSR B18C is very non turbo compatible...
well anywho, I just got off from a 6 hour shift at the world's crappiest mexican resturaunt...so maybe I shouldn't be posting right now.
__________________
92 Isuzu Rodeo, RWD auto, 121,000ish miles.
(2) Kicker Comp 12inch subs in a huge, custom box. (1) JBL 600w (300w x 2) amp.
(2) Pioneer 6.5inch speakers in the rear, (2) 4.5ish speakers in the front.

PROJECT CAR:
1982 datsun 280zx
121,000 ish miles.
non turbo (for now)
3 speed auto (for now)
silver, black detail.
(pics soon)
b_DuB13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2005, 07:08 AM   #7
Zalight
Who's house? Runs house.
 
Zalight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Albuquerque, New Mexico
Posts: 2,264
The problems with Vtec can be simply solved with some advanced tuning, which is a step that should be taken anytime a car is equipped with a turbo. I was just saying that honda engines are very strong, durable engines and can take the abuse of a turbo.

EDIT:

By the way, what mexican restraunt do you work at?
__________________
1999 BMW ///M3
Zalight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2005, 07:21 AM   #8
b_DuB13
CF Enthusiast
 
b_DuB13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: jacksonville fl
Posts: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zalight
The problems with Vtec can be simply solved with some advanced tuning, which is a step that should be taken anytime a car is equipped with a turbo. I was just saying that honda engines are very strong, durable engines and can take the abuse of a turbo.

EDIT:

By the way, what mexican restraunt do you work at?
HOLY SHIT THAT WAS A FAST REPLY
oh, and I wasn't saying anything about your previous post. I'm to tired to put that much focus into anything right now. I'm sure whatever you said about vtec and stuffs is correct...
Maybe you were speaking of some type of engine management systems? aftermarket CPU's? "VTEC controllers"? (my friend has a "vtec controller" on his jdm d16a civic coupe)
haha. he set his vtec as low as possible, at idle, he says.
he's going to blow that engine, I know it. Oh well, he's already on his third. (it's funny how honda owners talk about engines as though they are trading cards.)
Oh, and I work at a piece of shit local chain called ponchos and charleys
food isn't bad, but co workers are spoiled and stupid.
__________________
92 Isuzu Rodeo, RWD auto, 121,000ish miles.
(2) Kicker Comp 12inch subs in a huge, custom box. (1) JBL 600w (300w x 2) amp.
(2) Pioneer 6.5inch speakers in the rear, (2) 4.5ish speakers in the front.

PROJECT CAR:
1982 datsun 280zx
121,000 ish miles.
non turbo (for now)
3 speed auto (for now)
silver, black detail.
(pics soon)
b_DuB13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2005, 07:27 AM   #9
Zalight
Who's house? Runs house.
 
Zalight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Albuquerque, New Mexico
Posts: 2,264
yea, my friend in an SVT focus raced a CRX with a B16a2 in it and beat him,but only beacuase the guys vtec didn't kick in quick enough after his shifts. The CRX would pull on my friend while in Vtec, but as soon as he shifted he dropped back farther and farther. He promised to get a Vtech controller and race again but we never saw the guy again.
__________________
1999 BMW ///M3
Zalight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2005, 08:15 AM   #10
b_DuB13
CF Enthusiast
 
b_DuB13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: jacksonville fl
Posts: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zalight
yea, my friend in an SVT focus raced a CRX with a B16a2 in it and beat him,but only beacuase the guys vtec didn't kick in quick enough after his shifts. The CRX would pull on my friend while in Vtec, but as soon as he shifted he dropped back farther and farther. He promised to get a Vtech controller and race again but we never saw the guy again.

holy crap, that SHOULD be a really fast car.
The way that VTEC is set up in my friends 5th gen 97 prelude is that, if he's flooring it, (the VTEC opens up at 5100, redline at 7200, i think) when he shifts to second, his revs dont drop and all of his valves stay open
this probably doesn't make any sense.
I'll try and edit this tomorrow.
It may be that the crx's aftermarket engine didn't have the VTEC configured properly...
either way, I hate focus'..heh
__________________
92 Isuzu Rodeo, RWD auto, 121,000ish miles.
(2) Kicker Comp 12inch subs in a huge, custom box. (1) JBL 600w (300w x 2) amp.
(2) Pioneer 6.5inch speakers in the rear, (2) 4.5ish speakers in the front.

PROJECT CAR:
1982 datsun 280zx
121,000 ish miles.
non turbo (for now)
3 speed auto (for now)
silver, black detail.
(pics soon)
b_DuB13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2005, 10:39 PM   #11
CarEXPERT
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Bay Area, California
Posts: 1,117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zalight
Running any sort of boost on your engine is more damaging to your engine then if you didn't run boost at all. This doesn't mean that by having forced induction you are going to blow your engine, it just means that you are putting it under more stress, and eventually might break something inside it.

As for the compression, that all depends, if you are trying to have a high power engine, the higher the compression the better. But if you are running a turbo or SC then you should run a lower compression to reduce the risk of detonation.

I don't know where you came up with the idea that honda engines are weak. Honda makes some of the most durable DOHC 4 cylinders out there, and they are coming along with there V6 technology as well, take the accoard as an example. Why do you think people can put a turbo and nitrous systems on their hondas and then still use their cars as daily drivers for 150,000 miles? While some of the less performance oriented engines will take to abuse like that far less complacently, Hondas more race oriented engines (such as the B or K series) will do this with much more ease.

Putting aftermarket internals are usually a great Idea when running a forced induction setup on any car, not just hondas.

Civic rods are more prone to snap than others and in an integra, for example, the piston ring lands will give before the rods go. Trust me im a car EXPERT.
CarEXPERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2005, 10:44 PM   #12
CarEXPERT
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Bay Area, California
Posts: 1,117
Quote:
Originally Posted by b_DuB13
HOLY SHIT THAT WAS A FAST REPLY
oh, and I wasn't saying anything about your previous post. I'm to tired to put that much focus into anything right now. I'm sure whatever you said about vtec and stuffs is correct...
Maybe you were speaking of some type of engine management systems? aftermarket CPU's? "VTEC controllers"? (my friend has a "vtec controller" on his jdm d16a civic coupe)
haha. he set his vtec as low as possible, at idle, he says.
he's going to blow that engine, I know it. Oh well, he's already on his third. (it's funny how honda owners talk about engines as though they are trading cards.)
Oh, and I work at a piece of shit local chain called ponchos and charleys
food isn't bad, but co workers are spoiled and stupid.


You can control when vtec kicks in with the vtec controller? I never heard of that but the vtec should be adjusted in the factory so it give you max power.
Why is it harder to turbo a car that is vtec than a non vtec? The turbo shouldnt even disrupted the vtec system because the turbo is outside the engine. can anyone help please
CarEXPERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:12 AM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2002 - 2011 Car Forums. All rights reserved.