Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2005, 04:29 AM   #1
CarEXPERT
Banned

Insurance discount

I'm in high school now and will get a licence very soon like in 3 months. So does anyone know what grades or GPA you need to get to get an insurance discount. I heard that if you get good grades you can pay cheaper insurance but dont know what GPA. Has anyone heard about this is so please help me.

How much do regular insusrance cost if you are 16 years old? will getting a faster car increase im insurance like a V8 engine? What other things will increase it?
CarEXPERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 04:32 AM   #2
Coffin Type R
CF Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarEXPERT
I'm in high school now and will get a licence very soon like in 3 months. So does anyone know what grades or GPA you need to get to get an insurance discount. I heard that if you get good grades you can pay cheaper insurance but dont know what GPA. Has anyone heard about this is so please help me.

Like an overall GPA of 3.0, i believe. And you just answered the question i was going to send you. Now heres another one, Do they offer auto shop at your high school? if so take it, it will help

~*Lost Soul of Chevy*~

Coffin Type R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 04:39 AM   #3
Godlaus
UnFedFat in Disguise

CAREXPERT, PLEASE!!!!! Spend time on google before asking questions.
yes, your insurance is based upon many factors, such as;

Car history
Parents Insurance
Parents accident history
Type of car

You have to have a 3.0 GPA to have the price drop. Mine is 120/month, and I'm 16 and had my license for about 5 months./ it would be 180/month if I had a 2.9

Sadly enough, insurance for a 3000gt VR-4 and a 3000gt non-vr4 are the same.

Sports car insurance is way more expensive (like 240/month for beginners), but if you have your license for like 18 months, you pay around 180.
Old 01-17-2005, 05:02 AM   #4
lectroid
0000?

Quote:

How much do regular insusrance cost if you are 16 years old? will getting a faster car increase im insurance like a V8 engine? What other things will increase it?
I'll bet your Mom or Dad could find out REAL fast what it's going to cost. Most all states and different regions of the same state are a big factor. Mom and Dad will get better info than you can find here.
Old 01-17-2005, 05:06 AM   #5
CarEXPERT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godlaus
CAREXPERT, PLEASE!!!!! Spend time on google before asking questions.
yes, your insurance is based upon many factors, such as;

Car history
Parents Insurance
Parents accident history
Type of car

You have to have a 3.0 GPA to have the price drop. Mine is 120/month, and I'm 16 and had my license for about 5 months./ it would be 180/month if I had a 2.9

Sadly enough, insurance for a 3000gt VR-4 and a 3000gt non-vr4 are the same.

Sports car insurance is way more expensive (like 240/month for beginners), but if you have your license for like 18 months, you pay around 180.

THANKS. If I get a 3.5GPA will i get lower insurance? I will be 16 in like 3 months. Any other way to lower it? what about a 4.0? When you become 16 can you start working or do you need a working permit because I need to get money for insurance and stuff?
CarEXPERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 06:46 PM   #6
SuperJew
I like pie.

Quote:
THANKS. If I get a 3.5GPA will i get lower insurance? I will be 16 in like 3 months. Any other way to lower it? what about a 4.0? When you become 16 can you start working or do you need a working permit because I need to get money for insurance and stuff?

I don't think that having a 3.0 GPA compared to a 3.5 will make a difference...but taking Driver's Ed will also help lower insurance costs.

and the whole working thing depends on your region...where I live you can get working papers at age 16, but it might be different wherever you live.

CF's Resident Pimp Slapper

Pimp Slap Count (as of 30 May 2004): 34
SuperJew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 07:57 PM   #7
Oomba
Banned

One thing that works great is to have the car insurance in your parents name, and have you as a temporary driver.
Oomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 11:33 PM   #8
Godlaus
UnFedFat in Disguise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oomba
One thing that works great is to have the car insurance in your parents name, and have you as a temporary driver.

WHAT????????? Your car insurance is in your parents name. You're just adedd to the account. besides, what you talk about is illegal, and probably is legal for about 3 months.

Quote:

3.0 adn 4.0 are the same price. Working does not lower the cost, but it will pay for the car. (Ironically, i got a job to pay for my car, and I got a car so that I could go to work). At 15 you can work (in washington anyway) but at 16 you get full minimum wage as apposed to 3/4 minimum wage at 15. Go to the government site for your state and find out the laws.
Old 01-17-2005, 11:47 PM   #9
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Someone here is confused and I don't think it's me. In the flurry of PM's you've sent me asking for special help, you've told me twice that you are 14 years old. Now I've been out of school for quite some time, and I hear about the "new math" quite often, but... Isn't there a number between 14 and 16 like, I don't know, 15?

It must be something to do with our weather patterns, now there seems to be two people on this forum who can't remember their age. Because you're 14 now, even if you were a few days from your 15th birthday, you would still have at least 12 months till you're 16. Get a grip on reality Twinkie. Stop your BSing and tell the truth.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 12:12 AM   #10
Godlaus
UnFedFat in Disguise

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
Someone here is confused and I don't think it's me. In the flurry of PM's you've sent me asking for special help, you've told me twice that you are 14 years old. Now I've been out of school for quite some time, and I hear about the "new math" quite often, but... Isn't there a number between 14 and 16 like, I don't know, 15?

It must be something to do with our weather patterns, now there seems to be two people on this forum who can't remember their age. Because you're 14 now, even if you were a few days from your 15th birthday, you would still have at least 12 months till you're 16. Get a grip on reality Twinkie. Stop your BSing and tell the truth.

How bout you, hobo, if you don't mind sharing (I'm just trying to get BTT). Whats your insurance like, and what can/have you do/done to lower it?
Old 01-18-2005, 12:23 AM   #11
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Make that at least three places. So what's the word DildoEXPERT?

Quote:
I want to learn more about it. Im only 14 years old now and want to know more about engine swaps so if you have any good links with good info can you please help me out.
http://www.car-forums.com/talk/showt...1404#post61404

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."

Old 01-18-2005, 12:31 AM   #12
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godlaus
How bout you, hobo, if you don't mind sharing (I'm just trying to get BTT). Whats your insurance like, and what can/have you do/done to lower it?
The last time I renewed (December) I covered an '05 Ram Hemi, an '03 Jetta GLX, an '00 Ram 1500, a '96 Jetta GL, a '95 Dakota and an '85 Jetta GL (all of my ACVW's are on a different policy). Only the Hemi and GLX are full coverage, everything else is liability only. Insurance for my gorgeous wife and I cost just a tad under $1200 for six months. The best way to get your premiums down is to get old (I'm 47, she's 37) and don't get tickets. It's not rocket science you know. Oh yeah, being a home owner and not smoking helps too.

Old 01-18-2005, 12:35 AM   #13
StiMan
CF Retired Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
The last time I renewed (December) I covered an '05 Ram Hemi, an '03 Jetta GLX, an '00 Ram 1500, a '96 Jetta GL, a '95 Dakota and an '85 Jetta GL (all of my ACVW's are on a different policy). Only the Hemi and GLX are full coverage, everything else is liability only. Insurance for my gorgeous wife and I cost just a tad under $1200 for six months. The best way to get your premiums down is to get old (I'm 47, she's 37) and don't get tickets. It's not rocket science you know. Oh yeah, being a home owner and not smoking helps too.
Jezus, like Dodges and VWs a little bit hobo. Lol. Great cars though. HEMI!

StiMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 12:37 AM   #14
Coffin Type R
CF Addict

Dont you realize hobo gave his age again???

~*Lost Soul of Chevy*~

Coffin Type R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 12:45 AM   #15
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by StiMan
Jezus, like Dodges and VWs a little bit hobo. Lol. Great cars though. HEMI!
That's just what I have insured. There's also the '86 D-150, '86 D-350 and the '73 Satellite on the Mopar side. There's two more water cooled VW's an '80 Rabbit convertible and a '92 Cabriolet, the bookends. They're the first and last year of production for that bodystyle of Cab.

And never, ever forget the most important stuff... All of my Air Cooled VW's. Air Cooled Rules. Do ya wanna hear about motorcycles? Good, I don't feel like telling about them.