Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2005, 07:16 PM   #1
sister
CF Newbie

Getting pickle smell out of my Cavalier

I have a 2004 Chevy Cavalier. I was running an errand for work when a 3 gallon jug of pickles spilled in my front seat. To give you a mental picture - there was pickle juice swished around on the floor of the passenger side of the car with pickles floating around.

I got all of the visible juice and pickles out, but obviously the smell was still there. I had the carpets professionally cleaned at the local car wash and it didn't help at all. I took the car to a detailer and had the whole inside detailed and the pickle smell was still there. Actually I think it smelled a little bit worse then because the "clean" smell of the soap sort of mixed with the pickle smell making a unbearable stench. So as a last resort we took out the carpeting, cleaned the floor and cleaned the carpets ourselves. The smell is much better now, but still there.

Is there anything else I can try? Someone mentioned to me that there was some sort of "oxygen" cleaning treatment I could try, but I haven't been able to find anyone who knows what this is. Any suggestions? Or do I just have to drive my car with the windows open and a closepin over my nose for the next ten years?
sister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 11:27 PM   #2
99hatch
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sister
I have a 2004 Chevy Cavalier. I was running an errand for work when a 3 gallon jug of pickles spilled in my front seat. To give you a mental picture - there was pickle juice swished around on the floor of the passenger side of the car with pickles floating around.

I got all of the visible juice and pickles out, but obviously the smell was still there. I had the carpets professionally cleaned at the local car wash and it didn't help at all. I took the car to a detailer and had the whole inside detailed and the pickle smell was still there. Actually I think it smelled a little bit worse then because the "clean" smell of the soap sort of mixed with the pickle smell making a unbearable stench. So as a last resort we took out the carpeting, cleaned the floor and cleaned the carpets ourselves. The smell is much better now, but still there.

Is there anything else I can try? Someone mentioned to me that there was some sort of "oxygen" cleaning treatment I could try, but I haven't been able to find anyone who knows what this is. Any suggestions? Or do I just have to drive my car with the windows open and a closepin over my nose for the next ten years?

try fabreez it soaks up the smell of cigarette smoke pretty dam good im sure it can handle some pickle juice....
99hatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 07:29 AM   #3
lectroid
0000?

Fabreze will probably work, look for the "deep clean spray". You have to spray every piece of fabric in you car, the head liner and the foam cushioning under the seats. I'm sure you will get rid of the smell (pickles OR cat piss= puke) Get a can of OUST while your'e waiting,it kills aborne odors. You may have to reapply the Fabreze a couple of times.
Old 01-18-2005, 08:57 PM   #4
monteofdoom
CF Newbie

if all else fails there is a sprey called oderban, you can get it at wal-mart, it has a weird smell that goes away real quick and get everything out.
monteofdoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 11:03 PM   #5
sister
CF Newbie

thanks for the suggestions! I'll try out the fabreze first and sees if it works.
sister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 11:40 PM   #6
DamnNiggers
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sister
I was running an errand for work with a 3 gallon jug of pickles in my front seat...

Damn niggers. Always eatin' pickles. Won't you pour some of that jerry-curl juice on it. Or how about you give the smell one of those Allen Iverson cross-overs.
DamnNiggers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 11:46 PM   #7
Coffin Type R
CF Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamnNiggers
Damn niggers. Always eatin' pickles. Won't you pour some of that jerry-curl juice on it. Or how about you give the smell one of those Allen Iverson cross-overs.

No racist remarks, please. and if you dont believe me read the rules of the forum.

heres the quote:
Quote:
Racist or hostile behaviour will not be tolorated anywhere on the forums, please treat others as you, yourself wish to be treated.

~*Lost Soul of Chevy*~

Coffin Type R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 12:51 AM   #8
DamnNiggers
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffin Type R
No racist remarks, please.

Racist! I ain't no god damn racist! I'm a full blooded southern AMERICAN. What the hell you talkin bout. You get cut saying things like that down here boy.
DamnNiggers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 12:53 AM   #9
~SK~
CF Newbie

if the fabreeze does not work...go to wal-mart and get some oxy-clean. I had a car that had this stench after I had a case of beer smashed and nothing got out that smell...untill I made a mixture of 2 scoops and a gallon of hot water...this stuff is good for stains also
Old 01-19-2005, 12:55 AM   #10
Coffin Type R
CF Addict

What do you think I am? Huh? Huh? Ohh.. Thats it. YOU weren't thinking. I am a gunloving full red blooded American. And I was just warning you cuase that might be constued as racist you can get banned for that.

~*Lost Soul of Chevy*~

Old 01-19-2005, 04:44 AM   #11
mazda6man
im JDM TITE YO!

looks like we got another cool kid in the crowd...careful with this kid, dont wanna get cut for sayin something
My rides = 1992 Cressida aka "the Cressy"
1985 Cressida aka "pain in my asshole"

mazda6man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 04:46 AM   #12
lectroid
0000?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazda6man
looks like we got another cool kid in the crowd...careful with this kid, dont wanna get cut for sayin something
Words don't cut like a knife. Kid would probably take a knife to a gun fight.
Old 01-19-2005, 04:48 AM   #13
mazda6man
im JDM TITE YO!

...just be careful man, he sounds dangerous, i dont want to get hurt 'round these parts

Old 01-19-2005, 04:49 AM   #14
Coffin Type R
CF Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazda6man
...just be careful man, he sounds dangerous, i dont want to get hurt 'round these parts

you talking about me? Just courious

~*Lost Soul of Chevy*~

Old 01-19-2005, 05:33 AM   #15
mazda6man
im JDM TITE YO!

i mean the racist kid