Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Asian Imports
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-10-2003, 11:23 PM   #1
wyldstyle

Help?? Question about 1995 Nissan Sentra GXE!!

:?:

Year: 1995
Make: Nissan
Model: Sentra GXE
Engine: 4-Cyl. 1.6 Liter
Transmission: Automatic (Overdrive)
Drivetrain: Front Wheel Drive
Mileage: 82000

Question: Hello all, and thanks in advance for any help you may be able to provide. I just got the above car from my cousin. She tells me I need some new PVC joints and a wash. So while I am getting new PVC I want to replace the stock suspension, and add an cold air intake. So my question is what parts (company) should I go with? Now before you guys start quoting outrageous prices for exotic parts, please keep in mind I am still a college student with a budget of about $1200 - 1400. I don't mind putting in different systems in stages. My over all goals are to have installed few mods to the engine, but change the stock suspension and exhaust. I am a newbie to imports (Dream car 72 Dodge Dart) but seeing how I am about finished with college I needed a car. So please walk me thru steps to adding the necessary mods to this car. Also, I live in Northern California, so if anyone knows of a Good Mechanic who could do this job, please tell me.

Thanks again.
Old 09-11-2003, 12:11 AM   #2
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Re: Help?? Question about 1995 Nissan Sentra GXE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyldstyle
:?:

Year: 1995
Make: Nissan
Model: Sentra GXE
Engine: 4-Cyl. 1.6 Liter
Transmission: Automatic (Overdrive)
Drivetrain: Front Wheel Drive
Mileage: 82000

Question: Hello all, and thanks in advance for any help you may be able to provide. I just got the above car from my cousin. She tells me I need some new PVC joints and a wash. So while I am getting new PVC I want to replace the stock suspension, and add an cold air intake. So my question is what parts (company) should I go with? Now before you guys start quoting outrageous prices for exotic parts, please keep in mind I am still a college student with a budget of about $1200 - 1400. I don't mind putting in different systems in stages. My over all goals are to have installed few mods to the engine, but change the stock suspension and exhaust. I am a newbie to imports (Dream car 72 Dodge Dart) but seeing how I am about finished with college I needed a car. So please walk me thru steps to adding the necessary mods to this car. Also, I live in Northern California, so if anyone knows of a Good Mechanic who could do this job, please tell me.

Thanks again.

First I would like to thank you for a well thought out question, supplying ample information such as goals and budget, and pertinent specs on your car. It's a pleasure to see someone who thinks before hitting submit, many could take lessons from you.

I would also like to correct you on one point. What you probably mean are CV joints, or more likely CV axle assemblies. CV stands for constant velocity. PCV is positive crankcase ventilation, which doesn't have any joints. 8)

Now we get offline a little bit. I can't really recommend any mods for your car. Why? First it's not the greatest base to start with especially with the automatic. Second because any money spent will keep you away from your '72 Dart which would be way more fun.

I will however recommend you first make sure all maintenance items are 100% and maybe go with a K&N replacement filter. Then maybe throw some wheels and tires and a stereo at it. That right there will get you close to $1,000. It'll cost less than doing major mods and you'll still have just as much fun with it. And have bucks left to go find your Mopar. Good luck.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2003, 03:55 AM   #3
wyldstyle

Thanks for the quick responce!! I did mean CV joints (posting at work with the boss near is bad for my health) However, I should have been alittle more clearer. I don't mind spending 1200 - 1400 for the Suspension being replaced. Granted, the Sentra is not the 72 Dodge, It is cost effective at this point to roll with the GXE. My next question along this same lines as your advice posted, Would it make since to change the Air intake and exhaust first, then the suspension?
Old 09-12-2003, 12:47 AM   #4
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyldstyle
Thanks for the quick responce!! I did mean CV joints (posting at work with the boss near is bad for my health) However, I should have been alittle more clearer. I don't mind spending 1200 - 1400 for the Suspension being replaced. Granted, the Sentra is not the 72 Dodge, It is cost effective at this point to roll with the GXE. My next question along this same lines as your advice posted, Would it make since to change the Air intake and exhaust first, then the suspension?

It all depends on which is a higher priority for you. Honestly on the street you're not going to see a big difference with the suspension mods except probably a rougher ride. With the basic engine mods you suggest you'll find it's a little peppier and get slightly better mileage, so that's what I would do first.

Something for you to ponder. If I understand correctly you're going to be paying to have this work done. I suggest you look around for a shop to do the work and find out what it costs. Never forget you need to add the labor in with the price of parts so you stay within your budget and in some cases the labor is more than the parts..

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote