Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-19-2005, 07:38 PM   #1
zz71
CF Newbie

Question Calculate Tire Inflation

I bought new tires for my truck and now I'm wondering what is the proper tire inflation. Please, don't just tell me to look at the owner's manual or door sticker. I want to know how to calculate the proper tire pressure based on the tire and the weight of the vehicle.

For example, what should the pressure be when I'm running empty and the vehicle is at its lightest and what should it be when its fully loaded with cargo.

Now for specifics on my truck. Its a 2000 Chevy Silverado Z71 4x4. The owners manual and door sticker say original tires are P265/75 R16 Load Range C. However the truck came from dealer with LT265/75R16 LRD and Load Rating somewhere around 118. I ran these tires for 60k miles using 45lbs psi.

My new tires are LT265/75 R16 LRE, Load rating of 123. (The tires I wanted didn't come in LRD and I didn't want to go down a rating.) I asked the tire dealer what inflation they recommended. Of course they said 35lbs after reading the door sticker. I had them put 45lbs as I shook my head in disbelief.

So, back to my question. For a given weight on a given tire what is the proper tire pressure to get the proper contact surface with the road?
zz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 07:03 PM   #2
zz71
CF Newbie

Unhappy Someone? Anyone?

There's got to be someone out there who knows (well at least thinks they know) something on this subject.
Old 01-20-2005, 10:16 PM   #3
Coffin Type R
CF Addict

Did you check the rating of the tires on the tire itself. Sometimes the tire will say how much air is needed for daily driving on the tire near the tire size or close o the rim.

~*Lost Soul of Chevy*~

Coffin Type R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 12:31 AM   #4
zz71
CF Newbie

Unhappy calculation not recommendation

The tire says something like "max weight 3400 lbs @ 80psi".

That doesn't answer my question. Even a "daily driving" recommendation from the tire doesn't help me determine the proper pressure under different load (weight) conditions.
Old 01-22-2005, 01:49 AM   #5
zz71
CF Newbie

I give up.

You are probably correct.

It would be great if the tire manufacturer would provide such information as the proper inflation of the tires given the vehicle's total weight.

But that would mean they'd have to get it right.
Old 02-05-2005, 04:08 PM   #6
srober32
CF Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by zz71
You are probably correct.

It would be great if the tire manufacturer would provide such information as the proper inflation of the tires given the vehicle's total weight.

But that would mean they'd have to get it right.
The tire pressure listed on the side of the tire is to be considered the maximum inflation(80 psi. in this case). You should stick with the truck's manufactuer on the optimum tire pressure because too much pressure can cause premature steering component failure as well as bearings ride and handling problems. The tire kinda acts like a shock absorber or a buffer between the road and your truck and having too low a pressure can end up causing damage to the tire, the rim handling problems and/or poor fuel economy. Tire maufactuers cannot supply inflation ratings other that maximums because of different applications.
srober32 is offline   Reply With Quote