Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Domestic Cars
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2005, 09:22 PM   #16
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Quote:
Originally Posted by NISSANSPDR
I think if you wanted something that looked more like a street rod you had your change w/the Prolwer...but of course...no family could fit in that

Hmm $40k vs $18k? At $18K, you can't buy a reliable street rod, or even build a decent one. At $40k, you can. I love Prowlers, and they are perfect for those guys that can't build their own (and cost far less than having a shop build you a '33 Ford roadster) but the PT is the perfect blend of style and practicality, in an excellently priced package.

I've built street rods, and used to have a business doing that.

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 09:56 PM   #17
Flame Roller
CF Enthusiast

PT Cruiser...

A mix of street rod? I'd have to say I disagree. The style might be trying to look like that of an old roadster, but it falls short. A good family car sure, but for 18k I'd probably get something that is even roomier. Also I'm pretty sure I don't see an engine in a PT Cruiser the likes of what street rods would have had, or even similar. This is just my biased opinion because I am not a fan of the PT Cruiser. No offense to you Chris, since if you like it, then you like it, and if it works for your family, then it works for your family too, I just personally don't think it is too 'street rod.'

Also about chick cars..... girls do tend to drive some cars less often than others, but that doesn't mean the ones they drive more have less men driving them. The reason you see so many women driving Aleros and Grand Ams, etc is because so many people drive those vehicles in general.
Flame Roller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 11:39 PM   #18
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flame Roller
A mix of street rod? I'd have to say I disagree. The style might be trying to look like that of an old roadster, but it falls short.

So you think the ONLY street rods are old roadsters? Ever see one of these?

Apparently the PT is a lot like street rod versions of the fat fender sedans. Except with a warranty, practicality, and at a lower price point.

Quote:
A good family car sure, but for 18k I'd probably get something that is even roomier.

These are the linds of cars that people say SUV owners should have gotten, and it's NOT a minivan, which is also a plus. I've carried myself, my wife, my stepson and two of his friends, along with all our camping gear (sleeping bags, tents, food, backpacks) etc for a Boy Scout trip. I've carried all the lumber for our deck, as well as everything but 4x8 seets of sheetrock for my bathroom construction project. It has PLENTY of space inside.

Quote:
Also I'm pretty sure I don't see an engine in a PT Cruiser the likes of what street rods would have had, or even similar.

Sorry, but the average street rod isn't all that fast, due to having a very mild engine coupled with a mild automatic. Especially when talking about ones like teh type pictured above. Most are cruisers, not racers.

Quote:
This is just my biased opinion because I am not a fan of the PT Cruiser.

At least you admit your bias, closed mided and ninformed as it is.

Quote:
No offense to you Chris, since if you like it, then you like it, and if it works for your family, then it works for your family too, I just personally don't think it is too 'street rod.'

Having been involved with street rods for 25+ years, having built them in my shop, and dealt with them on boath coasts, I find it very much like a street rod: in STOCK form it's not a street rod, but it has the same style and potential, as the custom ones I posted will attest. Remember, a stock '37 Ford isnt' a street rod. In the PT's case, it has the style of the late '30s era cars, with wider wheels (And the GT even has street rod style 5 spoke wheels), and the nose down attitude of a street rod. All the right points are there to build from.

www.midatlantic7s.com
Old 01-24-2005, 11:46 PM   #19
SNiPeRViRuS
CF Enthusiast

Alls VWs seem like chick cars. Maybe except the Phaeton. The Lexus RX330, the Lexus SC430 even tho my dad has one.
Mini Coopers
Z3
SLK 350
SLK55
Mitsubishi Eclipse
BMW 3 series

oh yeah, a Hummer
Old 01-25-2005, 02:15 AM   #20
BavarianWheels
Supreme Demagogue

In my experience here in So. Cal., I'd say 90% of all the gender I see driving Jettas...is female.

Jetta...my No. 1 Chick Car Choice Award.

Bav's Favorite Track Vehicle
Posts Deleted for Use of Profanity = 2
BavarianWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 02:28 AM   #21
SNiPeRViRuS
CF Enthusiast

I second that. VW are for chicks.
Old 01-25-2005, 03:37 PM   #22
Flame Roller
CF Enthusiast

well...chris

first of all I said it is my opinion, and if I am misinformed I don't really see what about, other than the fact that you have 25+ years of experience with them supposedly and I am not nearly 25 years old, so I am glad you have a lot of experience. That does not mean I cannot make a comment, and it not have to be picked apart piece by piece by a person who allowed me my opinion but could not leave it as such, had to make sure everyone knew it was wrong, seems somewhat single-minded to me. I was being open when I said I can see it as a family car, and I suppose in a way it has similarities to a street rod, and yet you must take that simple, kind, notion and shove it in the garbage.
Old 01-25-2005, 07:37 PM   #23
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flame Roller
first of all I said it is my opinion, and if I am misinformed I don't really see what about, other than the fact that you have 25+ years of experience with them supposedly and I am not nearly 25 years old, so I am glad you have a lot of experience. That does not mean I cannot make a comment, and it not have to be picked apart piece by piece by a person who allowed me my opinion but could not leave it as such, had to make sure everyone knew it was wrong, seems somewhat single-minded to me. I was being open when I said I can see it as a family car, and I suppose in a way it has similarities to a street rod, and yet you must take that simple, kind, notion and shove it in the garbage.

Once again, the feeling that having the opinion is more important than knowing what you're talking about comes into play. Instead of wanting to learn more and expand your mind, you want to defend being closed minded.

Yes, what I do IS single minded: my goal is to increase real knowledge of the hobby, while removing misinformation, and replying to (and if necessary, rebutting) commentary made by people who have decided it's more important to open their mouths and comment on something instead of figure out that they don't have enough information. And responding to people that would rather argue about their right to an opinion than ever examine that opinion for factual basis.

I've grown weary of kids that think they know everything about cars and make comments like yours. I used to be a nice guy about it, but even when nicely put, and factually presented, the response is the same: "I don't care what the facts are, my opinion is otherwise, and I have the right to my opinion, and be as insulting as I want to be about everything that isn't my favorite." Well, yes you do. And I have then the right to pick that opinion apart. If you demand having the right to your opinion on things you don't know about, then I have the equal right to voice my opinion ABOUT your opinion. I wish it had never gotten to this point, but too many people think that forming an opinion on nothing but conjecture is enough, and that basing insults on that baseless opinion is justified.

www.midatlantic7s.com
Old 01-25-2005, 10:07 PM   #24
Godlaus
UnFedFat in Disguise

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNiPeRViRuS

EEERRR....wrong answer. Ever heard of the GTI? Or how about the R32? if you're thinking about the jetta by itself, well, then that's you.
Old 01-25-2005, 10:38 PM   #25
Flame Roller
CF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisV
Once again, the feeling that having the opinion is more important than knowing what you're talking about comes into play. Instead of wanting to learn more and expand your mind, you want to defend being closed minded.

Yes, what I do IS single minded: my goal is to increase real knowledge of the hobby, while removing misinformation, and replying to (and if necessary, rebutting) commentary made by people who have decided it's more important to open their mouths and comment on something instead of figure out that they don't have enough information. And responding to people that would rather argue about their right to an opinion than ever examine that opinion for factual basis.

I've grown weary of kids that think they know everything about cars and make comments like yours. I used to be a nice guy about it, but even when nicely put, and factually presented, the response is the same: "I don't care what the facts are, my opinion is otherwise, and I have the right to my opinion, and be as insulting as I want to be about everything that isn't my favorite." Well, yes you do. And I have then the right to pick that opinion apart. If you demand having the right to your opinion on things you don't know about, then I have the equal right to voice my opinion ABOUT your opinion. I wish it had never gotten to this point, but too many people think that forming an opinion on nothing but conjecture is enough, and that basing insults on that baseless opinion is justified.

I never said I knew everything, thusly I am not one of those kids. Also in my second post here I said I am sure you do have more knowledge than me. Also all I gave was an opinion. Finally I am always willing to learn new things, but don't think there is a need for ridicule each and every step of the way.
Old 01-25-2005, 10:46 PM   #26
DSMer
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by BavarianWheels
In my experience here in So. Cal., I'd say 90% of all the gender I see driving Jettas...is female.

Jetta...my No. 1 Chick Car Choice Award.

Don't forget about VW Beetles. You can always tell the guy who is trying to prove his car is'nt a girl with an all black Beetle flashy wheels and a nice spoiler. Looks good, but he can't fool me. We all know his car came lime green from the factory.

Quote:

No not all VW's. Hell the Jettas are'nt necisarily chick cars. I know lots of guys who own them and activley tune them with very respectable numbers to back it up. The VW GTi and R32, not to mention the older classic Beetle racers that drop 6 second quartermiles. Like the Miata post says, who says a supposed "chick" car can't be one of the greatest competing cars to ever be made?

...Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. It's just that yours is stupid...
DSMer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 11:43 PM   #27
Coffin Type R
CF Addict

Quote:

I disagree with you on that statement. My buddy has owned nothing but later 60's and early 70's VW Bugs, and the only people I see driving the Bug is males.

~*Lost Soul of Chevy*~

Coffin Type R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 02:04 AM   #28
BavarianWheels
Supreme Demagogue

Quote:

Nope...I don't agree. Just the Jettas. and a close second is the new Beetle...as somone already mentioned a few posts up from this. LOL.

But in no way is this to stand as a blanket statement...it's just my POV.

IOW...don't quote me on this as gospel truth.

Bav's Favorite Track Vehicle
Posts Deleted for Use of Profanity = 2
BavarianWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 02:31 AM   #29
MonteMan
CF Newbie

Jettas and the new beetle bug are chick cars , in maine nine times out of ten i see a chick in both. Now the ultimate chick car anything thats mopar , ford , or chevy from 87 down. Nothing beats a hot chick in a car that beats you in the 1/4
MonteMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 09:00 AM   #30
Coffin Type R
CF Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonteMan
Jettas and the new beetle bug are chick cars , in maine nine times out of ten i see a chick in both. Now the ultimate chick car anything thats mopar , ford , or chevy from 87 down. Nothing beats a hot chick in a car that beats you in the 1/4

I like your thinking and couldnt agree more. If you can find a chick that can do that, why you and already have alot in common.

~*Lost Soul of Chevy*~

Coffin Type R is offline   Reply With Quote