Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Domestic Cars
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-12-2005, 12:04 AM   #61
Zalight
Who's house? Runs house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdubya
Hopefully never. Fast cars should be left up to the guys!

WOW, nice to meet you man, welcome to the 21st century, where women don't have to spend life in the kitchen.
Unless that means I don't get to drive fast cars, because the women have taken them all. THEN they shouldn't be allowed to drive them. J/K
Old 03-12-2005, 01:01 AM   #62
Gothicaleigh
CF Newbie

A few little details about that 'manly' Mustang:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popular Mechanics
Principal driver:
Female 50.4%
Male 40.9
Both equally 8.8
http://www.popularmechanics.com/auto...tml?page=3&c=y

Mustang buyers: 56% female (63% of all Mustang sales is the base car)
Mustang GT buyers: 39% female

Looks like the Mustang may be a 'chick' car... :p
Old 03-12-2005, 05:26 AM   #63
Godlaus
UnFedFat in Disguise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothicaleigh
A few little details about that 'manly' Mustang:

http://www.popularmechanics.com/auto...tml?page=3&c=y

Mustang buyers: 56% female (63% of all Mustang sales is the base car)
Mustang GT buyers: 39% female

Looks like the Mustang may be a 'chick' car... :p

OMFG NOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THE MAN CAR!!!! ITS GONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hahaha jk

It's like what has been said earlier. Nowadays, half the buying demographic is female, so there are no real 'chick cars'.

Now the question I have is; do girls tend to care more about how the exterior/interior looks, or how the car performs?
Old 03-12-2005, 09:42 PM   #64
mirot
CF Enthusiast

well from experience (3 sisters and a mom)

I have to say they are really into fuel economy and looks.... but then again they also want power... and THEN you have to try to explain to them why you cant get much power with good fuel economy.

oh yea, the cars have to definetly sit in the "cute" standard. But if they feel they have to be kings of the road, then they buy themselves an "uncute" SUV
Old 03-14-2005, 09:50 PM   #65
redredd
CF Newbie

i'm a girl and i'm planning on buying a 95' camaro. Girls like fast cars with a sleek design, ie: corvette, camaro, etc. Or really big trucks!
redredd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 09:56 PM   #66
Gothicaleigh
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godlaus
Now the question I have is; do girls tend to care more about how the exterior/interior looks, or how the car performs?

I always look for a combination of both (why settle for only one?).
Old 03-14-2005, 10:38 PM   #67
redredd
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zalight
I think the vase is a throwbak/allusion to the flower power generation of the first beetle, not something made to attract women.

ChrisV, I agree with you, and I definitely don't want to piss off one of the last remaining intelligent members into quitting the board. But your just taking it a little too far by saying all cars are designed for men and women, We know that. What we are saying is that some cars are more attractive to women. Thats all.

But I agree with you that men should give these cars a chance, not just shun them because they are "only" for chicks.
The first beetle was presented in 1938. This car was designed by Hitler. The flower power generation is not the first generation of the beetle, although it might be around the time that it was first introduce to America. I think the vase is just there to be different. No other cars have it. It's unique.
Old 03-14-2005, 10:43 PM   #68
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Quote:
I think the vase is a throwbak/allusion to the flower power generation of the first beetle, not something made to attract women.

Actually, the bud vase is a nod to the air cooled beetle colectors that look for original '40s and '50 bud vases that were optional equipment in the original Beetles. It's not just for girls, and it certainly isn't about "flower power."

Here's one in a '53 Bug.

Here's a stock '50s one:

These things are collector's items, and the one in the new Beetle was specifically added as a nod to that. Trust me, I've been heavily involved in the custom and restored VW scene since the mid '70s.

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 10:44 PM   #69
redredd
CF Newbie

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdubya
Hopefully never. Fast cars should be left up to the guys!
DO YOU HAVE ANY GOOD REASON FOR THAT REMARK OR ARE YOU JUST IGNORANT?
Old 03-14-2005, 10:46 PM   #70
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Quote:
Originally Posted by redredd
The first beetle was presented in 1938. This car was designed by Hitler. The flower power generation is not the first generation of the beetle, although it might be around the time that it was first introduce to America. I think the vase is just there to be different. No other cars have it. It's unique.

Actualy Hitler had an ideea for a people's car, and Ferdinand Porsche already had designed a couple while engineering Mercedes race cars. Hitler's Mercedes dealer got him in touch with Dr. Porsche, and Hitler funded Porshe's design.

www.midatlantic7s.com
Old 03-14-2005, 10:53 PM   #71
Zalight
Who's house? Runs house.

Oh, I got you..

But what was the point of the first bud vases?
Old 03-14-2005, 10:53 PM   #72
redredd
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisV
Actualy Hitler had an ideea for a people's car, and Ferdinand Porsche already had designed a couple while engineering Mercedes race cars. Hitler's Mercedes dealer got him in touch with Dr. Porsche, and Hitler funded Porshe's design.
IN THE MIDDLE OF THE 1930'S HITLER ORDERED FERDINAND PORSHE TO CREATE A NEW "CAR FOR THE PEOPLE." THE FIRST VOLKSWAGEN CAR WAS PRESENTED IN 1938 WITH ALL THE SPECIFIC FEATURES ORDERED BY HITLER, THE ENGINE WAS PLACED AT THE REAR OF THE CAR, AND THE VERY ROUND SHAPE.
Old 03-14-2005, 11:01 PM   #73
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Quote:
Originally Posted by redredd
IN THE MIDDLE OF THE 1930'S HITLER ORDERED FERDINAND PORSHE TO CREATE A NEW "CAR FOR THE PEOPLE." THE FIRST VOLKSWAGEN CAR WAS PRESENTED IN 1938 WITH ALL THE SPECIFIC FEATURES ORDERED BY HITLER, THE ENGINE WAS PLACED AT THE REAR OF THE CAR, AND THE VERY ROUND SHAPE.

Why shout? I've been involved with the air cooled VW scene for a couple decades, and have owned over 30 of them. Hitler MET Porsche through his Mercedes dealer. You did know that Porsche had been chief engineer for Mercedes before that, right? And had been designing cars for many companies before that, too? He ALREADY had the design for the Beetle, which met Hitler's needs. So it was the one that got developed.

THe original design was done by Dr. Porsche (his business at the time, 1930, was Dr.-Ing. h.c. Ferdinand Porsche GmbH) for the motorcycle manufacturer, Zundapp. Zundapp produced teh prototype in 1932, but decided to stick with motorcycles. Hitler invited Porsche to submit to him a design for his People's car, it had to be cheap, economical, fast (all of 60 miles per hour) and to accommodate two adults and three children comfortably (there was no requirement from Hitler to have it rear engined). So, in January 1934 Porsche gave Hitler a proposal for his car, based on the one he did for Zundapp.

Please. I try to give out only factual, researched information from all my sources.

www.midatlantic7s.com
Old 03-14-2005, 11:02 PM   #74
Zalight
Who's house? Runs house.

I really suggest you don't try to argue with ChrisV, as you will soon find just how retarded you actually are.
Old 03-14-2005, 11:02 PM   #75
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Quote:
Oh, I got you..

But what was the point of the first bud vases?

Decoration. They were popular in a lot of European vehicles at the time. Kind of like lapel vases for men's tuxedos.

www.midatlantic7s.com