Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-27-2005, 03:21 PM   #16
Alpha Lobo
CF Newbie
 
Alpha Lobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Xenia, Ohio
Posts: 63
i would also stick with the prelude...i am thinking about getting an 88 prelude
__________________
It is my opinion that Nissan makes the best automobiles in the universe-bdub13
Alpha Lobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 08:54 PM   #17
Martian
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisV
And I know a ton with broken Toyotas and Hondas, as well as Tauruses over 30k miles. Anecdotal evidence is just that.

Simple fact, if it's made it to 180k miles, it's coouldnt' have been in the shop too often, making it a pretty reliable car.

Besides "reputation" (which is made up as much by idiots who have had ONE example and running around badmouthing it as anything, and by people who have never owned one, but have strong brand lyalty to another brand and hafe to be insulting to everything that isn't their favorite, which we get a LOT on here), you also have to use knowedge and your own ability to reason.

A '94 with 30k miles on it may have been in the shop a lot. The same car with 180k on it couldn't have been, or it couldn't have racked up the mileage it has. Same for the other car in the post. 280k on it means it was never sitting still for long. Armed with that knowledge, and looking at the cars in person will tell you if they were maintained well to get there, and thus will last a long time, or if they were abused and not taken care of, and are on their last legs...

Simply responding with "I had one one time and I didnt like it" or "it's a Ford, so it's Found On Road Dead" aren't helpful, or factual responses.

The sooner you get that through your head, the better. ANY car that is well treated will be mnore reliable than ANY car that isn't. Period.

The flaw with your logic here is that the car with more miles on it (which may or may not have been in the shop less, one doesn't lead to the other) shows more wear. That's why people usually steer clear of cars with a lot of mileage on it, because mechanical parts wear out with use and if the guy who had it before you put nearly 260 000 miles on it without doing a lot of maintenance odds are all the things that lasted while he was driving it are just about ready to call it quits.

I'm not a big fan of Ford vehicles myself, they seem to be hit and miss in terms of reliability and I haven't come across one yet that I've liked working on (I'll work on any car as long as you've got the money). However, I wouldn't buy any car with that high of an odometer reading unless it was A) very well maintained, with documentation proving it, or B) a project car that I was planning on restoring. And that goes for Ford, Chevy, Chrysler, Honda or any other brand you care to mention.

EDIT - More on topic, I'll chime in too for keeping the Prelude for now. You may be able to throw some Stopleak in the rad to patch up the hole and keep it going for a few more miles, or you could just stick a new one in. The oil leak is sort of a pain in the ass, but the rest of it is fine. Unless you're hell-bent on buying another car it's probably your best option for now.

And aside from that, even if you are determined that you should get a different car, I'd still say don't buy either. Buying a car isn't something you want to rush into, you want a car that suits your style, is in your price range and is in decent shape. Finding the right one could take up to several months, but it'll be worth it in the long run to drive a car you're happy with over one that you just bought because it was there at the right time.

Last edited by Martian : 01-27-2005 at 09:01 PM.
Martian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005, 03:57 PM   #18
ChrisV
The Big Meaney
 
ChrisV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: People's Republic of Maryland
Posts: 3,714
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martian
The flaw with your logic here is that the car with more miles on it (which may or may not have been in the shop less, one doesn't lead to the other) shows more wear.


Actually, after all these decades of playing with cars, cars that are in the shop often simply aren't in servece often enough to get high miles on them. In the case of the cars he's looking at, they were getting 18k+ miles per year on average, which is high, pretty much guaranteeing highway miles and not much time spent not being driven. A car that is seeing a lot of miles is necessarily not seeing much time being repaired (unless it's a taxi or police car). and highway miles will see less wear than city miles. Seats and interior/paint materials are time affected more than mileage affected. So are teh rubber parts in teh suspension.

An example is that a car that has sat for 5 years shows more oveall deterioration than a car that has been driven regularly.

There are always exceptions to these, but in general, that's been my experience over the last nearly 30 years of playing with old cars (I've owned over a hundred cars, myself)


Quote:
I'm not a big fan of Ford vehicles myself, they seem to be hit and miss in terms of reliability and I haven't come across one yet that I've liked working on (I'll work on any car as long as you've got the money).

How old of a Ford have you worked on? I've worked on Fords of every decade from the '20s to the '90s.
__________________
I'm not mean. You're just a wuss.



www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 01:53 AM   #19
fiapop
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Florida
Posts: 7
what your saying that since the car has 180k+ miles.. it hasn't been in shops often... is not always true.

a person can own a car... drive it a lot... and the car can brake down often.. but the person doesn't wanna switch cars... so he/she will take it to get it fixed every time. and it only takes few days to fix usually.

so lets say of 365 days... ur car is in the shop for total of 15 days (broke down 3-4times in a year = pretty often).. 350 days u can still rack up A LOT of miles.. same as a car that hasn't been in shop for the entire year.

so your argument that if a car has A LOT of miles.. then it MUST not brake down often, is a fallacy.

usually the higher the millage.. the higher risk of braking down.
fiapop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 05:36 AM   #20
rudypoochris
CF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiapop
what your saying that since the car has 180k+ miles.. it hasn't been in shops often... is not always true.

No, it is true. A single major repair job on a 180,000 mile Taurus would be more than the car is worth. You could just buy another... The guy would have gotten rid of it and it probably would have been crushed long long ago. For $300, buy it... C'mon, it is $300.

The $2,000 Nissan is a joke, I am a Nissan fan too... Thats just ridiculous man. C'mon... 260k for 2000? Highway miles or not. I have a 195k Explorer... I wouldn't sell it for $2000 because it is worth a shit load more to me, b/c it works very well and fulfills its purpose. Obviously the seller is offloading the car at 260k because it does neither. You run the same risk with the Taurus... but your talking about counting itty bitty beans vs. big dollars.

I am the type to save up for something I really want though, rather than impulse over whatever is in the classifieds.
rudypoochris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 05:37 AM   #21
chris_knows
๑۩۞
 
chris_knows's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ontario, Canada Status:Trying to find my ish
Posts: 7,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudypoochris
No, it is true. A single major repair job on a 180,000 mile Taurus would be more than the car is worth. You could just buy another... The guy would have gotten rid of it and it probably would have been crushed long long ago. For $300, buy it... C'mon, it is $300.

The $2,000 Nissan is a joke, I am a Nissan fan too... Thats just ridiculous man. C'mon... 260k for 2000? Highway miles or not. I have a 195k Explorer... I wouldn't sell it for $2000 because it is worth a shit load more to me, b/c it works very well and fulfills its purpose. Obviously the seller is offloading the car at 260k because it does neither. You run the same risk with the Taurus... but your talking about counting itty bitty beans vs. big dollars.

I am the type to save up for something I really want though, rather than impulse over whatever is in the classifieds.
That's all great, but this thread is nearly 3 years old .
__________________
chris_knows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 04:42 PM   #22
fiapop
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Florida
Posts: 7
lol yea i just noticed after i posted. haha
fiapop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 04:43 PM   #23
fiapop
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Florida
Posts: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_knows
That's all great, but this thread is nearly 3 years old .
i wonder what he bought? lol
fiapop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 09:20 PM   #24
rudypoochris
CF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 114
Wow, Im an R-Tard. :P
rudypoochris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 11:19 PM   #25
newyorker
MXman
 
newyorker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Philly
Posts: 5,291
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudypoochris
Wow, Im an R-Tard. :P
yes you are
__________________
04 Mazdaspeed Miata #2373/4000: IHI, BBS, Harddog, Flyin'Miata.

newyorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 11:21 PM   #26
dvdrose18
CF's resident Nurse
 
dvdrose18's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Northeastern NJ Needs: A Life
Posts: 513
Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker
yes you are
at least he realizes it and has the gutts to admit it
__________________
dvdrose18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 12:11 AM   #27
newyorker
MXman
 
newyorker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Philly
Posts: 5,291
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdrose18
at least he realizes it and has the gutts to admit it
Power to him then lol
__________________
04 Mazdaspeed Miata #2373/4000: IHI, BBS, Harddog, Flyin'Miata.

newyorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 01:07 AM   #28
rudypoochris
CF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker
Power to him then lol

I think he is insinuating that you do not have the guts to admit it and you are an R-Tard.
rudypoochris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 01:28 AM   #29
newyorker
MXman
 
newyorker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Philly
Posts: 5,291
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudypoochris
I think he is insinuating that you do not have the guts to admit it and you are an R-Tard.
Oh I disagree

http://www.car-forums.com/talk/showp...8&postcount=13
__________________
04 Mazdaspeed Miata #2373/4000: IHI, BBS, Harddog, Flyin'Miata.

newyorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:55 PM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2002 - 2011 Car Forums. All rights reserved.