Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Asian Imports
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-14-2003, 01:34 AM   #1
Tha_L_Train
CF Newbie

New Car

Only 2 months after getting my first car, a 1997 Hyundai Accent, it was totalled. While driving back to school to pick up my girlfriend after school, I leave early because I have study hall 8th hour, a kid came flying in a truck between a parked truck and car, never saw me. Ripped off the bumper, crushed the right-front fender, folded the hood, and shifted the entire front clip to the other side. So I went down to Schoepps today, a used car lot in Madison, and looked at a 1993 Nissan Sentra. I was drawn to it by the GTR badge on the back. Popped open the hood to find a Cold Air Intake and underneath was custom exhaust. They want $1300 for it marked down from 5000 for a one day sale, but I'm sure I can talk them back down again. Anyone know of anything I should look out for with this car? Also, everywhere I've looked has had Sentra SE-R listed, but no GTR. Is that just something the previous owner put on himself?
Tha_L_Train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2003, 02:57 AM   #2
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Re: New Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_L_Train
Only 2 months after getting my first car, a 1997 Hyundai Accent, it was totalled. While driving back to school to pick up my girlfriend after school, I leave early because I have study hall 8th hour, a kid came flying in a truck between a parked truck and car, never saw me. Ripped off the bumper, crushed the right-front fender, folded the hood, and shifted the entire front clip to the other side. So I went down to Schoepps today, a used car lot in Madison, and looked at a 1993 Nissan Sentra. I was drawn to it by the GTR badge on the back. Popped open the hood to find a Cold Air Intake and underneath was custom exhaust. They want $1300 for it marked down from 5000 for a one day sale, but I'm sure I can talk them back down again. Anyone know of anything I should look out for with this car? Also, everywhere I've looked has had Sentra SE-R listed, but no GTR. Is that just something the previous owner put on himself?

Sorry about the Accent. A '93 Sentra is only about a $2000 car on a good day. Do you think a lot would have a real $5k car marked down to $1300? It's called a marketing ploy.

No Nissan didn't sell a Sentra GTR in this country or any other country that I can think of. I'm surprised it doesn't have a V-TEC sticker on it too.

A Sentra, if taken care of is a decent car. If it has anywhere near 100k miles on it be careful to check the timing chain. If you don't know how PAY somebody who does. That is the weak point of the engine and if let go too long can run up quite a bill to repair, as in well over $500.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2003, 05:38 AM   #3
Tha_L_Train
CF Newbie

==Do you think a lot would have a real $5k car marked down to $1300? It's called a marketing ploy.==

Yeah it's there one day only sale where they have 99 dollar cars, most of em look like they couldnt make it off the lot.

The thing that stopped me from getting the car was my dad. Open the hood, saw the intake, "This guy used this car for racing, look at the fog lights, you dont just put those on any car." So we walked away and the guy told us it'd be back up to 5000, but I'd be willing to bet money I can go back down there and get it at what he said. We opened the glove box, and found the papers for when the previous owner got it. He paid 3995 in 95, so it's obviously not a 5000 dollar car. Thanks for the heads up on the timing chain.
Old 09-14-2003, 03:34 PM   #4
Tha_L_Train
CF Newbie

I tried running a vin check on the car, but Carfax charges 15 bux. Is there anywhere I can check the vin for free?
Old 09-14-2003, 09:30 PM   #5
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
I tried running a vin check on the car, but Carfax charges 15 bux. Is there anywhere I can check the vin for free?

Yes at your local DMV. The problem is by the time you fill out the paperwork and go through the hassle you'll wish you spent the $15.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."

Old 09-15-2003, 12:28 AM   #6
SuperJew
I like pie.

yeah...u should prolly just spent the $15....ull be thankful later on, when u get a reliable car.

CF's Resident Pimp Slapper

Pimp Slap Count (as of 30 May 2004): 34
SuperJew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2003, 02:54 AM   #7
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperJew
yeah...u should prolly just spent the $15....ull be thankful later on, when u get a reliable car.

CARFAX doesn't tell you if a car is reliable. It only gives you number of title transfers with dates, shows salvage titles, etc. Getting a reliable car comes down to using your head, looking at past history for that year and model and history for that particular car.

If someone doesn't have the know how it's also cheap insurance to have it checked out by a qualified independent technician. Money well spent in the long run.

Old 09-15-2003, 03:29 AM   #8
Tha_L_Train
CF Newbie

Where's a good place I could go to get info on the model year and whatnot. Like Consumer Reports or something?
Old 09-15-2003, 08:19 PM   #9
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Where's a good place I could go to get info on the model year and whatnot. Like Consumer Reports or something?

Dude, I already told you what to look out for on that car. The Sentra has no real liabilities except for the timing chain but this car might be crap. That's where having it looked at makes the difference.

The Camry is considered one of the best cars you can buy for more than a few years now. Each one has lived a different life, some are shit and some are applebutter.

Old 09-15-2003, 08:34 PM   #10
Tha_L_Train
CF Newbie

Sorry man, I didn't know that was the only thing that was ever wrong with that car. No need to get all pissed off and shit.
Old 09-15-2003, 09:02 PM   #11
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Sorry man, I didn't know that was the only thing that was ever wrong with that car. No need to get all pissed off and shit.

What the hell crawled up your ass? Look again at what I posted and explain to me where I got "all pissed off and shit". I can't wait to hear the answer.

Old 09-15-2003, 09:41 PM   #12
SuperJew
I like pie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperJew

CARFAX doesn't tell you if a car is reliable. It only gives you number of title transfers with dates, shows salvage titles, etc. Getting a reliable car comes down to using your head, looking at past history for that year and model and history for that particular car.

If someone doesn't have the know how it's also cheap insurance to have it checked out by a qualified independent technician. Money well spent in the long run.

oops... i didnt mean use carfax for getting a reliable car....i meant for a damage report and what you said. but in a sense it tells u if its reliable...

CF's Resident Pimp Slapper

Pimp Slap Count (as of 30 May 2004): 34
SuperJew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2003, 10:35 PM   #13
Tha_L_Train
CF Newbie

I'm sorry man, I'm kinda pissed off about something that happened today, so when you said "Dude, I already told you what to look out for on that car." I took it as you goin like, Duh you moron dont you listen? Sorry bout that.
Old 10-28-2003, 11:31 PM   #14
carlover
CF Newbie

lol

When i baught my first car is was a 2002 Saab 93 Vieegin and a guy in a truck took off my front end also it sucked because it was a $40,000 car so i go into a LA Mercedes Show room and they gave me a 2003 Mercedes C320for $34,000 :P
carlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2003, 03:26 AM   #15
niceride80
CF Newbie

it aint worth the money man. its a cheap piece of garbage with not a lot of power like the new ones. you will be lucky if u get 150hp out of it. dont buy it keep looking 4 something better. dont let the exusht and intake fool you. the dealer probably messed with the car and is trying to make it look appealing to you
niceride80 is offline   Reply With Quote