Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2005, 06:04 PM   #1
_elle_
CF Newbie

Question HELP! I'm interested in buying a VW Cabrio for my first car...

I've always loved Cabrio's, and I'm about to get my first car and this seems perfect for me! I've been researching it and have read quite a few consumer reports. It seems like it's very good on gas and would drive well, and I don't really care about the lack of trunk space. However, I'm very worried about all of the negative things I have heard/read about Cabrio's. I'll put my questions(or concerns) in point form so it'll be easier to read for you guys
-i'm really concerned that the Cabrio's scored very low(something like 3 out of 10) for reliability. I continued to read that after about 3 years(which is how old it will be if I get an '02) the electrical problems start, and supposedly there are alot of them. How have they been for you? Hopefully more reliable than these reviews have said them to be.
-safety is a big issue for me. Does anyone know how they have done in crash tests?
- i live in Vancouver so it rains quite a bit, do the roofs ever leak? Also, with soft tops, do they get slashed/broken into alot?
-how are they in snow?
- since cabrio's have been replaced with the Beetle convertible, is it even more expensive to get parts/ repairs?
- i've been checking around at local dealerships and there are at least half a dozen 2001 Cabrio's, but only a couple '00/'02 models. It seems strange that there are so many for sale when it's only a few years old, have 2001's had alot of problems or something?
Well thats about it, as you can see I don't know alot about cars and I want to make sure I'm making the right decision. I want this car to last me for the next 10 years(at least!). Hearing your guys' feedback(postive i hope) would really make me more confident If I finally do decide to go with the Cabrio.
Thanks for your time!
_elle_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 09:34 PM   #2
jenny0003
CF Newbie

Me too

Hi, I too really want a cabrio. I will only be able to afford one in the late 90's range though. I have read negative things and positive things. Anyone have any tips or experiences to share?

Jen
jenny0003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 12:43 AM   #3
Mathew
-BMW 3rd Year Apprentice-

Quote:
Originally Posted by _elle_
-i'm really concerned that the Cabrio's scored very low(something like 3 out of 10) for reliability. I continued to read that after about 3 years(which is how old it will be if I get an '02) the electrical problems start, and supposedly there are alot of them. How have they been for you? Hopefully more reliable than these reviews have said them to be.

I would think that reviews would be based on real life statistics and tests, therefore real life would reflect this review.

Just out of curiosity, which dealer do you plan to buy from? I'm going to BCIT and will probably working at VW Clarkdale Motors in June.
Mathew is offline   Reply With Quote