Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Asian Imports
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-20-2003, 09:07 PM   #1
Infiniti
CF Newbie

92 Infiniti G20

Hey, this is my first post here. I recently got a 92 Infiniti G20 (manual)and to my surprise its damn fast, so far I've had no trouble smoking a 96 Prelude, 93 Hatchback w/ a 95 Integra LS engine, and a V6 Mustang. I'm not really bragging cause I know a lot of you have cars that'll leave mine behind like it was a 3-banger or something

Anyhow, I'm interested in dropping some cash on it. I already ordered an exhaust and intake for it as well as some chip that supposedly adds 7-10 HP. The chip was only $7 on Ebay so I don't really mind if it doesn't work as well as it should.

I want to know if anyone else has done anything or seen anything done to a 92 G20? Was it fast?
Infiniti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2003, 10:17 PM   #2
snoopewite
The 1st CF Entrepreneur

Welcome to "Car Forums" Infiniti. I'm afraid I can't help you with what you want to know but you got my attention with that chip for $7 8O What brand is it? Is it a plug in chip that you're going to install yourself and then run in before paying for a session on a dynamometer, once your exhaust and intake are fitted as well?
snoopewite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2003, 12:33 AM   #3
Infiniti
CF Newbie

I'm not going to be paying for any sessions, I'm just gonna put the chip in (most likely after the intake and exhaust) and feel the difference. I found it on Ebay, just put the name of your car in then "chip" after it and you'll find a list.
Old 09-21-2003, 11:30 AM   #4
snoopewite
The 1st CF Entrepreneur

Thanks for the reply Infiniti and good luck with what you want to know.
Old 09-21-2003, 01:58 PM   #5
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopewite
Welcome to "Car Forums" Infiniti. I'm afraid I can't help you with what you want to know but you got my attention with that chip for $7 8O What brand is it? Is it a plug in chip that you're going to install yourself and then run in before paying for a session on a dynamometer, once your exhaust and intake are fitted as well?

Snoope, I went to e-Bay, found this "chip", then did a bit of investigating as to how it "works".

All it is is a resistor installed inline with the IAT sensor. This reads to the PCM and changes the input so the PCM thinks the engine is recieving cooler air (I think it said 40 degree F) than it really is. The purpose of this is cooler air is denser and will support more fuel. Also a cooler intake charge will allow for slightly advanced timing (they said 1 1/2 degrees). All very nice, and it may even work under certain circumstances but...

The engine will still be operating at normal temperature and all other sensors functioning normally. The chip may induce the PCM to command more fuel and timing but that will cause detonation which in turn will cause the PCM to back off the timing which of course will reduce power.

Confused yet? The short story is that under extremely limited conditions it may give a SLIGHT boost in power. Under most conditions it won't make any difference. And under some conditions it may decrease power. Sounds like money well spent.

Let me throw a hypothetical situation at you and I'll quit, this may turn out to be the best explanation of all. Say you got in your car yesterday for a drive and the ambient temperature was 70F. Today you go for a drive and the ambient temperature is 30F. Was you car faster today than yesterday? You decide.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2003, 11:03 PM   #6
snoopewite
The 1st CF Entrepreneur

Thanks for that information vwhobo wink
If I were going to get a chip for any future cars, I'd pay the extra money for a small piece of semiconductor material, carrying many integrated circuits that does the job properly as well as installation, mapping and dynamometer tests being included. I would then take the instructions for running it in seriously.
Btw, I liked the hypothetical situation that you mentioned in your last paragraph in that post lol
Old 09-22-2003, 06:14 PM   #7
Infiniti
CF Newbie

I brought my car in last night to Clutch Mart and had a brand new clutch installed. It was funny when I talked to the guy this morning because he was like "man there was NO clutch!". Thats how worn out it was. I can't wait to pick it up after my classes!

Basically this car is all stock, however by the end of the week I'll have a new intake, exhaust system, and that chip I mentioned put into it. Can't wait to see the performance gains from that. I wish I could get a Vtec system for this car but I don't think they make that for the 92 G20.
Old 09-22-2003, 07:01 PM   #8
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infiniti
I brought my car in last night to Clutch Mart and had a brand new clutch installed. It was funny when I talked to the guy this morning because he was like "man there was NO clutch!". Thats how worn out it was. I can't wait to pick it up after my classes!

Basically this car is all stock, however by the end of the week I'll have a new intake, exhaust system, and that chip I mentioned put into it. Can't wait to see the performance gains from that. I wish I could get a Vtec system for this car but I don't think they make that for the 92 G20.

You'll see 8-10 hp maximum total gain from the mods you made. Seems like alot of money to me for almost nothing.

If you go to e-Bay you might be able to find a V-Tec system for your car cheap. 8)

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."

Old 09-22-2003, 07:31 PM   #9
BavarianWheels
Supreme Demagogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
You'll see 8-10 hp maximum total gain from the mods you made. Seems like alot of money to me for almost nothing.

8-10 hp? I can get that by merely putting my windows up!!

Bav's Favorite Track Vehicle
Posts Deleted for Use of Profanity = 2
BavarianWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2003, 12:27 AM   #10
SuperJew
I like pie.

Quote:
Quote:

If you go to e-Bay you might be able to find a V-Tec system for your car cheap. 8)

isnt v-tec a honda innovation?

CF's Resident Pimp Slapper

Pimp Slap Count (as of 30 May 2004): 34
SuperJew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2003, 12:29 AM   #11
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperJew
Quote:
Quote:

Yeah, but don't tell him that.

Old 09-23-2003, 12:48 AM   #12
Widowmaker2k
CF Enthusiast

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

No. VTEC, or Variable Valve Timing and Lift Electronic Control, has been around in some form or another for quite a while. I'm not sure if Honda was the first to computerize the system, (thus the "electronic,") but designs for VVT have been around since the early 1900's.
Widowmaker2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2003, 01:16 AM   #13
SuperJew
I like pie.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Yeah, but don't tell him that.

oh no.....the secrets out! 8)

CF's Resident Pimp Slapper

Pimp Slap Count (as of 30 May 2004): 34
SuperJew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2003, 03:19 AM   #14
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Widowmaker2k
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

No. VTEC, or Variable Valve Timing and Lift Electronic Control, has been around in some form or another for quite a while. I'm not sure if Honda was the first to computerize the system, (thus the "electronic,") but designs for VVT have been around since the early 1900's.

You are half right, maybe mostly right. But VTEC = Honda. Although I did see a sticker on a Kia the other day.

Old 09-23-2003, 07:04 AM   #15
Infiniti
CF Newbie

Does a Vtec have to be made for a specific car? I've looked around for hours looking for stuff for my car and I didn't see a Vtec. If there was a universal type one that fit on my car I would buy it immediately.