Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Asian Imports
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-07-2005, 04:32 PM   #16
shortenjam
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 5
undefinedI was thinking about getting 2 Pioneer Premier SPL 5000 Watt 12 inch subs. I want to get a Sony deck, they have nice LCD screen decks, but Im not sure which amps to get to power the 2 subs, and my 180 watt infinity 6 and a half inch speakers. Any suggestions?
shortenjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 05:23 PM   #17
shortenjam
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 5
I want the Sony MEX-5DI CD Player deck, as well as the 5000 watt spl's, is there a bandpass box or some other box rather than the one that pioneer offers to fit the subs into, and also i need advice on amps. Do you think that 2 5000W spl subs will be too much for my altima, if so what would be the most powerful system that wouldnt overpower my system, even with dynamats installed in my doors and trunk. Thanks
shortenjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 08:22 PM   #18
logic0010
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortenjam
undefinedI was thinking about getting 2 Pioneer Premier SPL 5000 Watt 12 inch subs. I want to get a Sony deck, they have nice LCD screen decks, but Im not sure which amps to get to power the 2 subs, and my 180 watt infinity 6 and a half inch speakers. Any suggestions?


personaly i am somewhat of a pro and my advice for an amp
get a mono amp id recomend these brands first buy what u can afford and u will be happy
#1 choice a 1999 series us amps like a 400x itll run u 500 roughly on ebay if u can find one avoid the new ones there not nearly as great
#2 choice a ppi mono chrome amp
#3 an xtant 1001d if u can find one dont stray from that model
#4 audio bahn the biggest mono block u can find there rating have a little to be desired wattage wise so id get a 1500watt rms or higher

but rember a system is only as good as the weekest link
dont forget capicators 4guage wire or bigger and please invest in sound damping materal

theres a lot of good amps out there this is only my personal choice id stick with
logic0010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 03:46 PM   #19
shortenjam
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 5
i have finally decided to go with the JL audio w7's, 2 of them and i will get the 1000W amp they offer, as well as a smaller one for the speakers. I will need capacitors. The head unit, im not sure, pioneer has a nice one for $680 that has 2 screens, and sony does too except its $799. Im also getting a rockford fosgate q-logic bandpass box. Anything that i should change or substitute items for this system, and also, is this system ranked pretty high??
shortenjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 12:57 AM   #20
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: LSU Campus
Posts: 3,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortenjam
i have finally decided to go with the JL audio w7's, 2 of them and i will get the 1000W amp they offer, as well as a smaller one for the speakers. I will need capacitors. The head unit, im not sure, pioneer has a nice one for $680 that has 2 screens, and sony does too except its $799. Im also getting a rockford fosgate q-logic bandpass box. Anything that i should change or substitute items for this system, and also, is this system ranked pretty high??

Haven't looked into RE XXX's or Adire audio for subs? I'd take their top of the line stuff over W7's. Cheaper too.
__________________
1990 Honda Accord LX Sedan
Mileage Ticker: 232,400 Miles
Stereo Mods: Coming soon...

~Blow your mind~

thunderbird1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 04:31 PM   #21
shortenjam
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 5
what about the re MT's if i got 2 12" ones can i fit them in a bandpass box and what amp/s would i need to easily power them.
shortenjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 05:11 AM   #22
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: LSU Campus
Posts: 3,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortenjam
what about the re MT's if i got 2 12" ones can i fit them in a bandpass box and what amp/s would i need to easily power them.

Bandpass box? Come on be serious. If you get two MT's put them in a nice 1" MDF 2.5-3cu-ft ported box.
__________________
1990 Honda Accord LX Sedan
Mileage Ticker: 232,400 Miles
Stereo Mods: Coming soon...

~Blow your mind~

thunderbird1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 09:27 AM   #23
DSMer
CF Extraordinaire
 
DSMer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 1,639
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderbird1100
Bandpass box? Come on be serious. If you get two MT's put them in a nice 1" MDF 2.5-3cu-ft ported box.

Thats the problem with some newb people in audio. They assume ported is the greatest because everyone uses it for high sound pressure levels. Maybe he's trying to achieve a nice level of bass without rattling his trunk off. Maybe he has a bandpass that will give hin the quality thats hes looking for over a ported or ventedbox. Everything does'nt need to be vented. Many subwoofers will work just fine in a bandpass or sealed enclosure.

Who the hell uses 1" thick MDF board anywhos? I've never see professionals use 1" MDF board except on extreme projects. Welcome to the real world, here we use 1/4" or 3/4" MDF, a 1" piece of wood is a tad bit excessive to house only two subwoofers.
__________________

...Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. It's just that yours is stupid...
DSMer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 02:57 AM   #24
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: LSU Campus
Posts: 3,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMer
Thats the problem with some newb people in audio. They assume ported is the greatest because everyone uses it for high sound pressure levels. Maybe he's trying to achieve a nice level of bass without rattling his trunk off. Maybe he has a bandpass that will give hin the quality thats hes looking for over a ported or ventedbox. Everything does'nt need to be vented. Many subwoofers will work just fine in a bandpass or sealed enclosure.

Who the hell uses 1" thick MDF board anywhos? I've never see professionals use 1" MDF board except on extreme projects. Welcome to the real world, here we use 1/4" or 3/4" MDF, a 1" piece of wood is a tad bit excessive to house only two subwoofers.

Check the MT's parameters (assuming you know how to interpret them) and what RE recommends. I didnt assume ported was best by any means in my post. To me the XXX sounds better in a sealed box. How many SERIOUS audio competitors run bandpass boxes? I've seen none. Almost ALL top box makers use 1" MDF for their top of the line boxes ($200-$300). All pre-fabbed W7 boxes use 1" MDF (JL even recommends it, I've seen a W7 install where they did it with 3/4" MDF and after a few months it CRACKED). BTW- I'm no 'newb' to car audio, and it befuddles me to see you not realizing 1" MDF is the standard for top end sub boxes nowadays. I think YOU need to get a 'welcome to the real world'.
__________________
1990 Honda Accord LX Sedan
Mileage Ticker: 232,400 Miles
Stereo Mods: Coming soon...

~Blow your mind~

thunderbird1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 03:53 AM   #25
DSMer
CF Extraordinaire
 
DSMer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 1,639
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderbird1100
Check the MT's parameters (assuming you know how to interpret them) and what RE recommends. I didnt assume ported was best by any means in my post. To me the XXX sounds better in a sealed box. How many SERIOUS audio competitors run bandpass boxes? I've seen none. Almost ALL top box makers use 1" MDF for their top of the line boxes ($200-$300). All pre-fabbed W7 boxes use 1" MDF (JL even recommends it, I've seen a W7 install where they did it with 3/4" MDF and after a few months it CRACKED). BTW- I'm no 'newb' to car audio, and it befuddles me to see you not realizing 1" MDF is the standard for top end sub boxes nowadays. I think YOU need to get a 'welcome to the real world'.

Again, you're using the excuse "how many serious car audio competitors use X" to get a point. Well how many top fuel drag racers have 1000+HP engines? Does that make it right for every person to own? Again.. you did "assume" it was the "best" by telling him that its a waste of time to use a bandpass and that he should go ported. Its not about what you think sounds nice, it is'nt your car or your subwoofers.... Anyone with half a brain should know that audio competitions are measured on decibels, and vented/ported subs produce the highes ammount of decibels. So why would'nt they use ported boxes...

"ALL top box makers use 1" MDF for their top of the line boxes"

Sure about that? How many audio shops have you actually worked in? I'm assuming you've proabably met all sorts of top end box builders eh? Yeah, 1" the inudstry standard... haha my ass. Just because you see guys in magazines with $15,000 setups that have 1" boxes does'nt make it the industry standard. Compare the ammount of people with just avearage setups to extreme setups and you're going to get more people with just an average setup(that almost always requires a simple 3/4"). Its more common to find a 3/4" MDF subwooferbox. Hell I don't even have computer desks that are an inch thick....
__________________

...Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. It's just that yours is stupid...
DSMer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 04:49 AM   #26
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: LSU Campus
Posts: 3,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMer
Again, you're using the excuse "how many serious car audio competitors use X" to get a point. Well how many top fuel drag racers have 1000+HP engines? Does that make it right for every person to own? Again.. you did "assume" it was the "best" by telling him that its a waste of time to use a bandpass and that he should go ported. Its not about what you think sounds nice, it is'nt your car or your subwoofers.... Anyone with half a brain should know that audio competitions are measured on decibels, and vented/ported subs produce the highes ammount of decibels. So why would'nt they use ported boxes...

"ALL top box makers use 1" MDF for their top of the line boxes"

Sure about that? How many audio shops have you actually worked in? I'm assuming you've proabably met all sorts of top end box builders eh? Yeah, 1" the inudstry standard... haha my ass. Just because you see guys in magazines with $15,000 setups that have 1" boxes does'nt make it the industry standard. Compare the ammount of people with just avearage setups to extreme setups and you're going to get more people with just an average setup(that almost always requires a simple 3/4"). Its more common to find a 3/4" MDF subwooferbox. Hell I don't even have computer desks that are an inch thick....

You call what they use in competitions 'an excuse' as to why it's becoming what is the standard for something? Just read over to what you just rambled about, it makes no sense. Tell me then, what do you go by for the standard in building boxes for subwoofers that handle 1000+ true watts? Truely not by what professionals use in building their top of the line systems that do 150, 160 even 170dB's. According to you that'd be 'an excuse' to use what they use. I go to IASCA competitions and USAC (NOPI) competitions pretty often now, and I see what they are using all the time.
__________________
1990 Honda Accord LX Sedan
Mileage Ticker: 232,400 Miles
Stereo Mods: Coming soon...

~Blow your mind~

thunderbird1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 05:06 AM   #27
DSMer
CF Extraordinaire
 
DSMer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 1,639
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderbird1100
You call what they use in competitions 'an excuse' as to why it's becoming what is the standard for something? Just read over to what you just rambled about, it makes no sense. Tell me then, what do you go by for the standard in building boxes for subwoofers that handle 1000+ true watts? Truely not by what professionals use in building their top of the line systems that do 150, 160 even 170dB's. According to you that'd be 'an excuse' to use what they use. I go to IASCA competitions and USAC (NOPI) competitions pretty often now, and I see what they are using all the time.

No its not an excuse, its your crutch for justifying why to use it other than admitting the truth and saying "I don't know shit about car audio so I just go on what I see professionals do". Wattage is'nt the greatest factor when deciding on how thick to go with a piece of wood. It really matters upon the size of the subwoofer and how much air can it actually move.

There is no standard, every box should be built to conform to the subwoofer and every subwoofer just does'nt need an 1" thick wood to house it. Even a 1" box can crack, it all depends on the builder and how they build it. You can't generalize a indefinite variable. Subs come in all different sizes, shapes, power ratings, etc... However, the most common size among audio setups are 3/4" MDF. That shit you see at the IASCA and USAC comps are all rich, fancy stuff. Your avearge audio guru is'nt going to have a 10,000 audio setup. Nore will they always use 1"MDF. I happen to work with a girl who holds the record for one of the loudest sport compact car in the US(she has an Eclipse GS-T). She used a series of 8 8" RE subs housed in a 3/4" ported box. Her level was somwhere abover 160DB's I don't remember the number, but 1" is'nt always the best application.

I'd have to warn some people take wieght into consideration of what goes into their trunk permanently. Not everyone wants a 250lb 1" box in their trunk...
__________________

...Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. It's just that yours is stupid...
DSMer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 06:20 AM   #28
88GrandPrixSE
CF Freak
 
88GrandPrixSE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Regina, Sask., Canada
Posts: 581
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMer
Who the hell uses 1" thick MDF board anywhos? I've never see professionals use 1" MDF board except on extreme projects. Welcome to the real world, here we use 1/4" or 3/4" MDF, a 1" piece of wood is a tad bit excessive to house only two subwoofers.

Haha, a quarter? What kinda subs do you power? Run them off your HU? No one ever uses 1/4", the smallest you will ever see is 1/2".

3/4" is by far the most common, but, you're missing the point Thunderbird is trying to make. No matter the case, 1" will always be better than 3/4", 2" better than 1".. the bigger the better, it's just an issue of practicality. Tbird is stating that 1" is better than 3/4", which is very true. It would only add probably another 10 lbs to your whole set-up so it's nothing very big either.

Also, every sub has a box they sound best in. For MTX I believe it is indeed a ported box. Usually it will state in the manual for the subs which is recommended.
__________________
88GrandPrixSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 06:27 AM   #29
DSMer
CF Extraordinaire
 
DSMer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 1,639
Quote:
Originally Posted by 88GrandPrixSE
Haha, a quarter? What kinda subs do you power? Run them off your HU? No one ever uses 1/4", the smallest you will ever see is 1/2".

3/4" is by far the most common, but, you're missing the point Thunderbird is trying to make. No matter the case, 1" will always be better than 3/4", 2" better than 1".. the bigger the better, it's just an issue of practicality. Tbird is stating that 1" is better than 3/4", which is very true. It would only add probably another 10 lbs to your whole set-up so it's nothing very big either.

Also, every sub has a box they sound best in. For MTX I believe it is indeed a ported box. Usually it will state in the manual for the subs which is recommended.

That 1/4" should be 1/2". I'm glad you caught that. Thats common simple mindness. If its bigger it should be better. A 1" box is'nt better than a 3/4" when all you need is a 3/4" box. You can't just say cuz its bigger its automaticly better. Thats just not true.... Using more than you need when its not needed is not better, its called a waste of resources.

Why run a 2 gage wire when you only need a 4gage?
__________________

...Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. It's just that yours is stupid...
DSMer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 07:13 AM   #30
88GrandPrixSE
CF Freak
 
88GrandPrixSE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Regina, Sask., Canada
Posts: 581
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMer
That 1/4" should be 1/2". I'm glad you caught that. Thats common simple mindness. If its bigger it should be better. A 1" box is'nt better than a 3/4" when all you need is a 3/4" box. You can't just say cuz its bigger its automaticly better. Thats just not true.... Using more than you need when its not needed is not better, its called a waste of resources.

Why run a 2 gage wire when you only need a 4gage?

Box's job is to deaden the sound passing through it, and to make a better seal, doesn't take much to push 3/4 to its limits. I've seen 10's actually bend 1/2" boxes (as in.. when they pound the sides of the box would buldge) so that means it'd be pretty close to pushing 3/4, so why not just go 1", you can't go wrong. I do agree though, it's not necessary most of the time, but it will always be better, maybe almost impossible to tell it's better, but it will be.

Goddamn pigs just gave me two tickets, those ****ers.
__________________
88GrandPrixSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 02:03 PM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2002 - 2011 Car Forums. All rights reserved.