Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-30-2005, 01:34 AM   #1
aakprrt
CF Newbie

Sell or Fix? 94 Jeep w/ spindle prob. and "lurch" in neutral.

Hi there!

I hope this isn't a repeat post. I spent all this time writing a post up and then poof! Car Forum told me I wasn't logged in and I lost it. Agh.

So here's the deal:

I've got a 94 Jeep Cherokee Sport, 4.0 liter, 6 cyl. standard shift, 115k on it, and its all paid off.

It's had a lot of the usual problems for a car of its age--cracked radiator, oil leaks, just replaced the front rotors and pads, put some new shocks on the rear, and its had its master cylinder replaced, plus minor things like sway bar links, etc.

Its had no major engine or trans. problems, and I'm thankful for that. No work done yet on the clutch or clutch plate, although one mechanic did recommend it.

I've maintained it regularly, but I'm poor so I have to be conservative about what I spend on it.

Just today I had to have it towed to the mechanic because coolant exploded out of it while I was driving home from work the other day. The radiator and hoses will be checked out again, also the spindles looked at. Evidently Jeep places these spindles in such a way that the brake caliper rests on it, and over time cuts a groove in the spindle. Yay! So now both front spindles are squeaking like crazy, and the left one needs to be replaced ASAP because it's really bad--the caliper can't retract all the way from the rotor. I haven't gone ahead with these repairs yet because the spindles are expensive, unless I can find some at a junk yard that haven't been grooved yet. New spindles for both wheels the mech. quoted at 700 parts & labor.

I'm trying to figure out if its worth sinking more money into this ride or if I should consider selling it and buying something younger, more reliable.

ALSO: Wanted to post that the Jeep sometimes does this weird "throbbing" thing when I'm stopped at a light with the clutch in. It will start to bump forward a bit, like a repetitive lurch but it doesn't actually move the car forward, and it goes away once I start to accelerate. What the heck is that? It only happens like 1x/week.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Kat

Last edited by aakprrt : 01-30-2005 at 01:49 AM. Reason: Adding an issue
aakprrt is offline   Reply With Quote