Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-03-2005, 02:12 AM   #1
xfreaksh0wx
CF Newbie

popping sound

Hey guys, I could really use some help. I've searched the forums for an answer but failed, so i'll ask now. I have a 78 chevy truck sb 350 recently I hear a popping sound from the exhaust, it can also be heard from the engine bay I think it goes away when the motor warms up. the noise is similar to a firecracker in a coffee can. other issues I've had but not sure if they relate trouble starting will crank for a while before firing and also the occasional sputter which I believe maybe my fuel pump going bad. any help would be greatly appreciated.
xfreaksh0wx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005, 02:24 AM   #2
BanffAutoSpa_ap
Pants The Ripper

Location: Southern Alberta Likes:Long walks on the beach.....after anal
just a hunch but is your distributor loose?
BanffAutoSpa_ap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005, 02:27 AM   #3
BanffAutoSpa_ap
Pants The Ripper

Location: Southern Alberta Likes:Long walks on the beach.....after anal
that was a stupid question on my part but i usually check ignition things b4 i go to the fuel diagnostics. when was the last time you did a tune up?
BanffAutoSpa_ap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005, 10:55 AM   #4
doug wong
CF Newbie

check your exhaust maifold, popping is usually near the exhaust bolt attach. also area's around the y's where the manifold ties to the exhust pipe, and check the exhust pipe and manifold attach, 3 bolts, some 2 bolts loose. when the engine warms up the manifold expands and closes up the leak or crack.
doug wong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2005, 02:38 PM   #5
xfreaksh0wx
CF Newbie

Thanks for the replies. I actually havent checked the distributor, being that I don't know a lot I tend to look for the easiest answer but I will look into it. as far as the exhaust goes I've had to tighten a few bolts previously. I will check both the distributor and the exhaust this weekend again thanks for the advice.
Old 02-04-2005, 02:44 PM   #6
xfreaksh0wx
CF Newbie

I havent gotten a chance to do a tune up, I havent had the truck long and I've had to fix a few other things ( water pump, new radiator and fuel hoses, driveshaft yoke and pretty soon power steering pump) but maybe I'll make time this weekend for that also Thanks again