Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-02-2005, 03:57 AM   #1
Layzie Bone
CF Newbie

1986 Buick Skyhawk - Speedometer Problems

I got a 1986 Buick Skyhawk Custom, it's a 86 hp 2.0 Liter L4 with a 3 speed Automatic Transmission. It has the old speedometer cable in it and it has quit working. When I bought it at the Begining of December it worked fine, no wobble or anything. I think I may have induced the problem, hence I ran it up to 86 MPH a few times and one day I noticed that 45 was about 10 miles faster. Later that 10 became 20, and then on a cold morning it didn't move at all, once in a while it bounces up to 15 and back down, and I'm generally going about 45-55. If the cable itself is not shot is what I want to know, or if it needs lubercation, which I believe you use graphite to do. I also sometime hear something in the dashboard when it bounces around, kind of like a high pitched short squeak. Any advice or knowledge would be greatly appriciated
Layzie Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2005, 07:53 AM   #2
srober32
CF Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Layzie Bone
I got a 1986 Buick Skyhawk Custom, it's a 86 hp 2.0 Liter L4 with a 3 speed Automatic Transmission. It has the old speedometer cable in it and it has quit working. When I bought it at the Begining of December it worked fine, no wobble or anything. I think I may have induced the problem, hence I ran it up to 86 MPH a few times and one day I noticed that 45 was about 10 miles faster. Later that 10 became 20, and then on a cold morning it didn't move at all, once in a while it bounces up to 15 and back down, and I'm generally going about 45-55. If the cable itself is not shot is what I want to know, or if it needs lubercation, which I believe you use graphite to do. I also sometime hear something in the dashboard when it bounces around, kind of like a high pitched short squeak. Any advice or knowledge would be greatly appriciated
Sound like the speedo itself is shot, get one from the boneyard and call it good.
srober32 is offline   Reply With Quote