Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Domestic Cars
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-25-2003, 05:25 AM   #1
ChevySuxD0ng
CF Enthusiast

Ford Focus problems. Help?

I'm 15 and my mom has 2000 ford focus zts and about a month ago we went on a trip. On the way there it was kind-of revving up and down a couple 100 rpm's evrytime we went up a hill. (Thats about as good as I can describe it in words) When we got there we checked the oil and it was fine. we filled up the gas tank thinking it might have been bad gas but the same thing was happening on the way back. Except it kept getting worse. About 30 miles out of town we went to pass a truck going about 65 and we were almost around it but my mom just lost her power she had it floored but it wouldn't go any faster. so she slowed down and pulled off at a rest stop. When we went to leave again after checking the engine to see if we could see or hear anything wrong with it but we didn't (I personally thought there was a little wierd clanking but i was probably just being paranoid. ANYWAYS... the car ran fine on the entrance ramp till we reached 50 and then the car started reving really bad and about 10 miles later it jsut quit. we had it towed and looked at and the shop couldn't find anything wrong with it they checked the fuel system and everything. It runs completely fine now in town but on the freeway it still has a little trouble getting up hills and it kind-of scares me becuase this car has 45K miles on it and it shouldn't break down yet. ANYWAYS if you have any suggestions they would be strongly apreciated. :? :? :? [/i]
ChevySuxD0ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2003, 02:56 PM   #2
caffeine junky02
CF Newbie

my dad had the same problem but not exactly the same problem try cheaking out the transmition thats what was wrong with my dads car im not 100% sure but its worth a shot
caffeine junky02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2003, 09:31 PM   #3
ChevySuxD0ng
CF Enthusiast

Thanx I think I'll have my auto tech teacher look at it

Racing a honda is like being in the special olympics, even if you win you're still retarted.
Old 09-26-2003, 04:26 AM   #4
ChevySuxD0ng
CF Enthusiast

If anyone else has any suggestions that might be related to this. they would be appreciated

Racing a honda is like being in the special olympics, even if you win you're still retarted.
Old 10-25-2003, 06:12 AM   #5
vwmaniac
CF Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySuxD0ng
If anyone else has any suggestions that might be related to this. they would be appreciated

I have one.
DON'T BUY AN AMERICAN FORD!!
Old 10-25-2003, 05:17 PM   #6
Widowmaker2k
CF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwmaniac
Quote:

I have one.

Actually the focus was designed in Europe, and really isn't an American car. And, according to JD Power and associates, the Focus has similar mechanical quality, higher feature and accesory quality, and higher overall quality when compared to a Volkswagon Passat. (Both 2003 models.)
Widowmaker2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2003, 07:36 PM   #7
vwmaniac
CF Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Widowmaker2k
Quote:
Quote:

I have one.

Actually the focus was designed in Europe, and really isn't an American car. And, according to JD Power and associates, the Focus has similar mechanical quality, higher feature and accesory quality, and higher overall quality when compared to a Volkswagon Passat. (Both 2003 models.)

True, but in Europe the focuses are made in Germany and here they are made in the U.S.
Here their reliability is terrible as in Europe it has won awards for it's reliability.
In Europe the Focus is in sixth place of all cars in reliability exactly the same place as the Vw golf is in.
Old 10-25-2003, 08:16 PM   #8
ChevySuxD0ng
CF Enthusiast

i think the problems we've been having with reliabilty may have to do with the fact that my mom's focus is the first year of production model. they never have all the kinks worked out when they're in the first year. and i think the tranny is the only thing wrong with it... as far as i can tell anyway lol

Old 10-27-2003, 03:29 AM   #9
TM875
CF Newbie

First of all, I'm sure that you know the first-year Foci had immense problems. This might be the cause of everything.

Anyway, it seems to me like it might be a computer-based problem. This could be caused by one of two things. First (and most likely), the tranny is not shifting into overdrive. This would be especially true if you had an automatic. Thus, when you got up to high speeds, the rev limiter would shut the engine down, thus causing it to stall. Since overdrive is not important in lower gears, you wouldn't notice it whilst driving under 40mph. This is why "it rides fine in town" but has trouble on the freeway.

Take it to the dealer and have them look at the transmission (this might also have been the case with the other kid that said the problem dissappeared after the tranny was fixed). One of the things that piss me off the most about my Focus, other than the crappy brakes, is the poor transmission. Get it fixed, and have the computer recalculated, and all should be well.
TM875 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2003, 04:44 AM   #10
ChevySuxD0ng
CF Enthusiast

sounds like you know alot about the focus, and i really appeciate ur input. that seems to make alot of sense. but my mom's car doesn't have crappy brakes. i might hate the ABS system but the brakes are fine... i'm not sure if you were talkin about the ABS. but the actual brakes themselves work fine.

Old 03-11-2004, 03:55 AM   #11
BAVARIANM5WORKS
CF Newbie

Dude where did you find the definition of a ford. tell your mom to go out and buy somthing made by GMC if she runs into a problem with it will be cheap and easy to fix plus any gmc car would be better than a ford. sorry im not trying to talk sh** about your moms car i just cant help it

one more thing if it is a 2000 shouldn't it still be under warranty ?

Last edited by BAVARIANM5WORKS : 03-11-2004 at 04:00 AM.
BAVARIANM5WORKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2004, 11:33 AM   #12
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAVARIANM5WORKS
Dude where did you find the definition of a ford. tell your mom to go out and buy somthing made by GMC if she runs into a problem with it will be cheap and easy to fix plus any gmc car would be better than a ford. sorry im not trying to talk sh** about your moms car i just cant help it

one more thing if it is a 2000 shouldn't it still be under warranty ?
I'll guess the "M" in your name stands for moron. First, the thread is almost six months old. I'll bet by now the problem is solved. Second, if you re-read what you wrote you'll see that anyone with half a wit knows what you're saying is just ignorant bullsh*t.

If you have nothing useful to add to this forum, I suggest you shut the f*ck up.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2004, 12:59 PM   #13
snoopewite
The 1st CF Entrepreneur

BAVARIANM5WORKS is just another village idiot but I found this post that was sent after Widowmaker2k's post quite interesting.

Quote:
True, but in Europe the focuses are made in Germany and here they are made in the U.S.
Here their reliability is terrible as in Europe it has won awards for it's reliability.
In Europe the Focus is in sixth place of all cars in reliability exactly the same place as the Vw golf is in.

That's why I've been reading so many bad things about the Focus in these forums while I've said good things and recommended it to people. There is a barrier between the Brits and Americans in here but I keep learning.
snoopewite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2004, 03:28 PM   #14
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

First off, teh US Focus has been made in Mexico, using parts from around the world. The 2000 model year had numerous problmes with parts suppliers (including german rubber seals for teh axles that were damaged by road salt in teh NE US and canada). THe '01 models had far fewer problems, and teh '02 and newer Focii have had no recalls whatsoever (with the exception of teh first 500 SVT models that had a sticking cruise control cable, that was fixed before most of them even reached the dealerships). Other than that, the Focus has been overall a relaible car even in the US.

As for as the problem at hand, it would be helpful to know how many miles were on the car, whether it was a manul or automatic, etc. With enough miles on it, the fuel filter could be bad, or the catalytic converter could be clogging. The symptoms sound very much like the latter. As the converter cloggs up, it restricts overall breathing. the car runs ok at idle, but can't run above a certain speed/rpm (caughing and bucking, ro simply no longer revving). these things can come on suddenly, too. the forward catalytic converter on my XJ6 died one evening after getting gas. Trying to get back on the interstate, teh car wouldn't go over 50 mph, and gradually got worse. the following day, it got better again for a while, but it eventually got bad enough that it wouldn't go over 25 mph. After replacing the catalytic converter, it ran better than it had in years.

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2004, 11:16 PM   #15
BAVARIANM5WORKS
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
I'll guess the "M" in your name stands for moron. First, the thread is almost six months old. I'll bet by now the problem is solved. Second, if you re-read what you wrote you'll see that anyone with half a wit knows what you're saying is just ignorant bullsh*t.

If you have nothing useful to add to this forum, I suggest you shut the f*ck up.

You must be one of those a**holes that actually think ford is a good car company, a GMC would be more reliable and a hell of alot cheaper to fix and if you think i am wrong on that your F***ing crazy, FORD= powerless, cheap,slow,ugly,trashy,and i can keep going but i dont think that i will.

Whats the hobo in your name stand for? oh i get it

Last edited by BAVARIANM5WORKS : 03-11-2004 at 11:18 PM.
BAVARIANM5WORKS is offline   Reply With Quote