Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-02-2005, 04:19 PM   #16
StiMan
CF Retired Post Whore

I sometimes go like 5-10 mph over the speed limit on city streets, but I usually have no where to go, so I dont speed. On highways I go 10-15 mph over the limit just like everyone else.

StiMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 07:04 PM   #17
/2/-/>
CF Newbie

" Having a fast car and not speeding is an exercise in self control. Having 280hp available on tap doesn't mean you have to use it! "

ermm.. i actually dont believe you that you only have powerful cars to have the exercise to control yourself not to use them...

i still think cars are built for driving (them their way), and if someone here doesnt want to travel fast he buys a weak small car like a vwpolo, if sone wants to travel comfortable but fast he buys an e or sclass, and the sportscar drivers buy m3s or 911s or sth.
and if im hungry for the wheel or when think my poor baby had too many of those slow short distance drives since the last autobahn then i visit friends in the next city or my grandma, but where do you rage out your cars? are there really no occasional races on freeways in the US? if there werent here, twould be only half as exciting.. but whooshing over at slower cars is funny as well..until youve found someone that catches you up at 220km/h.. what is the exact conversion into mph? you say on normal town to town-village to village roads (highways?) theres 40mph? is that about 100km/h like here? anyway, ive just had in mind you go to raceways/speedways or whatever you call it when you wanna go fast? but in that case you would have to decide whether to travel or to drive??
thx&grz _jay
/2/-/> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 10:31 PM   #18
Nichol Bolas
CF Newbie

1 kilometer = 0.621371192 mile

So 40MPH is 64.373760024587686388911315991617Kph.

In any case, I drive as fast as I can, whenever I can. There is absolutely no rush like going 20 miles over what you're supposed to enter a turn in. I am very cautious, however. I know my area well and know where the cops like to camp. I drive safely in neighborhoods or where children could cross the street at any time, I'm very cautious in the rain as I don't want to do an unintentional drift in a crowded 2 lane road and I make sure I always wear my seatbelt. It's all about having fun safely when you can get away with it. That, and the cop's stupidity around my area is phenominal.
Nichol Bolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 11:14 PM   #19
Godlaus
UnFedFat in Disguise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nichol Bolas
In any case, I drive as fast as I can, whenever I can. There is absolutely no rush like going 20 miles over what you're supposed to enter a turn in. I am very cautious, however. I know my area well and know where the cops like to camp. I drive safely in neighborhoods or where children could cross the street at any time, I'm very cautious in the rain as I don't want to do an unintentional drift in a crowded 2 lane road and I make sure I always wear my seatbelt. It's all about having fun safely when you can get away with it. That, and the cop's stupidity around my area is phenominal.

errrr....Probably not that good of an idea to floor it every chance you get. bad on your engine, and you can kill someone. (maybe even you). People jay-walk, run red lights, swerve into your lane, so going 20 over is a dangerous thing.

I dunno about speeding though. Most people go 5-10 miles over the speed limit. And if you average 30 mph without speeding and 35 mph with speeding, and if you travel for 20 minutes, you save yourself 1 minute 20 seconds. Whoopdy fckng do. Or how about another scenario? You're on the freeway, doing 60 as a traffic obeyer, or 65 as a speeder. If you travel for 1 hour, you save yourself 5 minutes. Can't people just leave 5 minutes earlier? besides, I'm not taking into account things like stop signs/lights, etc. Speeding isn't worth it.
Old 02-02-2005, 11:14 PM   #20
imbest123
CF Newbie

I got a speeding ticket in oct '04. i was going 53mph on a 35 and ticket came out to $180. the cop actually caught me when i was braking so i got lucky, i really was going 65 :-O i usually drive within 10mph of the speed limit now, i live in cali so everyone drives like that (at least where i live)
imbest123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005, 12:09 AM   #21
NaSk8891
CF Newbie

well im 16 and ive already gotten into an accident was pulling out of a gas station and this lady t boned me i never saw her coming so my insurance went way up after that and because i got a new car so i pay round 1500 every 6 months so i cant really afford to speed everywhere i go. i got a speeding ticket few months ago was going 47 in a 35 went through a speed trap never saw the cop till he was behind me and by then it was to late i live in maryland and so it was like 75 bucks for the ticket but im going to court for it. as for the original question i do normally speed unless im in my neighborhood (25) i go round 30 just because my neighbors complained to my mom but on all other roads go around 50 and on like 55's or 65's i go 70 - 80. im relatively cautious after the accident i know where there are cops and i try not to speed where i know there are kids, but im still a new driver and goin fast just thrills me dunno why

Last edited by NaSk8891 : 02-03-2005 at 12:11 AM.
NaSk8891 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005, 03:14 AM   #22
RusMan
CF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godlaus
Rus, you're out in the countryside, there's no cops out there.

There's actually a lot of cops around here, but I guess not as much as Seattle, and having a radar detector usually helps
Old 02-03-2005, 03:57 AM   #23
Eclipse_2004
CF Enthusiast

i usually go 4 over just to be on the safe side..
But i speed in the counrty, this weekend i was going 105 in a 55..but its a deserted road that is 13 miles away from anything..and i mean anything..., thats the fastest ive ever gone
other that that i usually drive the speed limit

and just casue you have a radar detector doesnt mean you will get away....and if you get pulled over with one and they find it...your in deep shit(in sum states)
Old 02-03-2005, 04:43 AM   #24
Nichol Bolas
CF Newbie

I said I drive as fast as I can, not flooring it whenever I can. There is a difference.
Nichol Bolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005, 02:34 PM   #25
theman352001
--- Voice of Reason ---

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclipse_2004
i usually go 4 over just to be on the safe side..
But i speed in the counrty, this weekend i was going 105 in a 55..but its a deserted road that is 13 miles away from anything..and i mean anything...
Until that deer jumps out in front of you...... heck, at that speed, a racoon may be able to take you out.

I used to do that also. My buddies and I, heading up to the lake in my '72 Delta 88 w/ the 455 Rocket in it. Cruise effortlessly at 110.

Now, I'm just happy that nothing ever happened during those days. I doubt I would be here today if something did.
theman352001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005, 02:36 PM   #26
theman352001
--- Voice of Reason ---

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaSk8891
well im 16 and ive already gotten into an accident was pulling out of a gas station and this lady t boned me i never saw her coming so my insurance went way up after that and because i got a new car so i pay round 1500 every 6 months so i cant really afford to speed everywhere i go. i got a speeding ticket few months ago was going 47 in a 35 went through a speed trap never saw the cop till he was behind me and by then it was to late i live in maryland and so it was like 75 bucks for the ticket but im going to court for it. as for the original question i do normally speed unless im in my neighborhood (25) i go round 30 just because my neighbors complained to my mom but on all other roads go around 50 and on like 55's or 65's i go 70 - 80. im relatively cautious after the accident i know where there are cops and i try not to speed where i know there are kids, but im still a new driver and goin fast just thrills me dunno why

Sounds like your going to have to start paying more attention when your driving.
theman352001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005, 09:31 PM   #27
NaSk8891
CF Newbie

yea i guess so lol fastest ive ever gone is 130 and that was down a highway at like 3 in the mornin no one was on the road cept me and my friends comin home from a party and they were tryin to **** with me it actually scared me goin that fast cuz u think about the what if's like what if i lost control somehow id be done
NaSk8891 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005, 09:38 PM   #28
Godlaus
UnFedFat in Disguise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nichol Bolas
I said I drive as fast as I can, not flooring it whenever I can. There is a difference.

No, there's not. You need to go back to 6th grade grammer school. Driving as fast as you can means flooring it, be the car moving or not. Driving as fast as you can means trying to reach maximum speed as soon as possible. Literally, what you're saying is; I try to get up to maximum speed as soon as possible. Flooring it is trying to get up to maximum speed as soon as possible.

OWNED!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-03-2005, 09:46 PM   #29
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

25+ years of driving sports cars and performance cars and only one ticket.

Yeah, if you really want to use your car for performance use, there are tracks all over to go real fast on, and just drive the rest of the time. (which is why I always say it's stupid to laugh at someone who has only done cosmetic mods to their car). It's no problem driving a dual purpose track/street car, or having different cars for different things, like when I had these two cars and a small truck at the same time:

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005, 09:54 PM   #30
Zalight
Who's house? Runs house.

I don't pay attention to how fast I'm going on a road, I just go with traffic or go a speed that seems to feel comfortable.