Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-2005, 09:00 AM   #16
Mathew
-BMW 3rd Year Apprentice-

Just out of curiousity, how old are you, and what experience/qualifications do you have for this job?
Mathew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005, 02:39 PM   #17
theman352001
--- Voice of Reason ---

808state, I don't see why you would need a clutch or a "shifter" per say.

Unless I'm missing something, a CVT uses a servo or pressure to actuate a mechanical system that adjusts the ratio.

In the case of the Honda Insight, it is oil pressure.
Insight CVT operation

So all you need to do is tap into the controls for the pressure regulator and you would be able to adjust the ratios at will. Your "shifter" could be a slider mechanism (as mentioned on the AG equipment), a knob, some push buttons, or any kind of electonic input.

Heck, if you really got fancy, you could hook it up to its own computer control and have a performance setting, an economy setting, high torque, high speed, manual, etc......

It seems to me that you are really over complicating the thing. (ok, so did I with the whole computer control senario.)
theman352001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005, 06:50 PM   #18
808state
CF Newbie

USMC,Lcpl. (soon to be Cpl)
Ground Air Support Equipment Mechanic or GSE
And its not a "job", Its a project.
All my superiors think im crazy but a few like the project and will help.WE maintain, fix/repair, upgrade and drive,
gas/diesel engines
2 and 4 stroke
chassi/corrosion control/preventative maintenence ect.
air condtioning
hydraulic technician/ including hydrostatic drives
(hydraulicly driven motordrive)
electrician
and turbine jet engines mounted on trailors.
I like turbines best.
Im a "young buck" of 20.
During my school, of about one year (conserning my rate, not anything to do with war) Ive earned 27 collegde credits and i continue to earn more as i learn. yeah im young, but im catching up to the old timers with wierd ideas and good attitude. I just hope I see this happen before I go to Iraq.
My favorite place to drive is on the BIG ISLAND where i grew up.

Last edited by 808state : 02-11-2005 at 11:02 PM.
808state is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 08:10 PM   #19
808state
CF Newbie

Yo theman, the cvt's own hardware has certain settings that the manuafacture places into it. Mini Coopers got em.
I siad this before, the clutch is just that. To dissengage the tranny from engine out put. this means I can slide up to a gear and let off the clutch to engage the tranny again. just like up or down-shifting in a five speed M.
The clutch may or may not be operable during auto. mode. The clutch doesn't need to be operated at all really. "Shifting" or changing ratio can be as easy as keeping the gas pedal at any rpm and keeping it there, while sliding up or down the ratio control to accelerate or decelerate. Hell, adding a cruise control to the rpms could be done too.
This tranny can replace all of the variants that car dealer offer because it has every option of operation that the DRIVER chooses.
Say what you want about it, it has what most want:
1 Drive in automatic Mode and save gas no hassle in traffic.
2 Drive like a five speed and skip through to certain ratios the driver wants and chooses.
3 Flow through the infinute ratio of power bands (no clutch disengagement
) to raise the level of challenge and experience and become the aditional element to the way the car functions, the "one-step-ahead", Human Mind. The rpms and ratio changes due to the driver's experience and personality, to suit the situation.
Old 03-09-2005, 03:14 PM   #20
theman352001
--- Voice of Reason ---

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808state
Yo theman, the cvt's own hardware has certain settings that the manuafacture places into it. Mini Coopers got em.
I siad this before, the clutch is just that. To dissengage the tranny from engine out put. this means I can slide up to a gear and let off the clutch to engage the tranny again. just like up or down-shifting in a five speed M.
The clutch may or may not be operable during auto. mode. The clutch doesn't need to be operated at all really. "Shifting" or changing ratio can be as easy as keeping the gas pedal at any rpm and keeping it there, while sliding up or down the ratio control to accelerate or decelerate. Hell, adding a cruise control to the rpms could be done too.
This tranny can replace all of the variants that car dealer offer because it has every option of operation that the DRIVER chooses.
Say what you want about it, it has what most want:
1 Drive in automatic Mode and save gas no hassle in traffic.
2 Drive like a five speed and skip through to certain ratios the driver wants and chooses.
3 Flow through the infinute ratio of power bands (no clutch disengagement
) to raise the level of challenge and experience and become the aditional element to the way the car functions, the "one-step-ahead", Human Mind. The rpms and ratio changes due to the driver's experience and personality, to suit the situation.

I concentrated on #s 1 and 3. I suppose you could do 2 also but it doesn't appeal to me at this time.

Well, enough talk. When are you going to build the damn thing?
Old 03-09-2005, 07:34 PM   #21
808state
CF Newbie

There is a bunch of help I can get from Japan. They have been using CVT's for years and they have some pretty cheap vehicles. My buddies are their right now, and they have acces to the shop I will work at. They have the tools and machinary to do it.

OFF NOTE ( I was going to get a couple of Nissan SkyLines in to Cali. and maybe one for my self to Hawaii)

If my idea is genuine, the Pantent I have on this this whole thing will pull through, and it will be brought up to car manufactures. If none of them go for it, Ill take it apon my self to make one before 2006, and see if the idea can make some money from hobby shops and people who would modify their cars for the tranny and shifter. It is under my name so far and I hope I can own the Patent in a couple of months from now. Ill see if I can keep posting here while things progress with pix too. I need to finish before going on a deployment to Iraq or other hell hole. Deployments can last 2 to 12 months for me and it would be a shame to leave the project off for that long. Right now im in San Diego with no resorces.

One major problem i ran into was the clutch I want, would either take the place of the torque converter, or Ill need both. Since this variant of tranny is both auto and manual...............
Old 03-10-2005, 06:14 PM   #22
theman352001
--- Voice of Reason ---

Quote:
...... One major problem i ran into was the clutch I want, would either take the place of the torque converter, or Ill need both. Since this variant of tranny is both auto and manual...............

The honda CVT has a multistage clutch with no torque converter. Perhaps that could be used.
Old 03-11-2005, 07:17 PM   #23
808state
CF Newbie

Oh yeah?

I need help to find info about all this. Give me links or web sites and I can find out if its possible.
Is this clutch you speak of, linked to the out put of the engine by bands (4 speed auto), or by a friction plate that rubs against the fly-wheel (five spd. manual)?
I guess either way, Im going to have to do more research on all types of CVT's to find a easy one to modify and cheap to buy.
Old 03-11-2005, 09:06 PM   #24
jdubya
CF Enthusiast

I am new to, so i am not totally sure wht a cvt is, can someone explain?

PRELUDE POWER!
jdubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 11:17 PM   #25
theman352001
--- Voice of Reason ---

Quote:
I need help to find info about all this. Give me links or web sites and I can find out if its possible.
Is this clutch you speak of, linked to the out put of the engine by bands (4 speed auto), or by a friction plate that rubs against the fly-wheel (five spd. manual)?
I guess either way, Im going to have to do more research on all types of CVT's to find a easy one to modify and cheap to buy.

Did you see the link I posted about 8 posts above this one. That is where I am getting most of my information. I am sure there are more out there but this one was pretty inclusive.

Here it is again.

Link*** Honda CVT ****Link
Old 03-11-2005, 11:23 PM   #26
theman352001
--- Voice of Reason ---

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdubya
I am new to, so i am not totally sure wht a cvt is, can someone explain?

CVT stands for Constantly Variable Transmission. Basically this means that instead of a specific set of gear ratios in the transmission, the ratios are instead variable within a given range.

Example: instead of going from 2:1 to 3:1 in a regular transmission, a CVT can go from 2:1 to 2.1:1 to 2.2:1 etc.. and can even break it down finer than that. Think of a dimmer switch. You can vary the light intensity. Not just on or off.

Check out the link above for a more detailed explanation.
Old 03-12-2005, 12:59 AM   #27
jdubya
CF Enthusiast

Thank you, theman352001 for the info about CVT.

PRELUDE POWER!
jdubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 07:19 PM   #28
808state
CF Newbie

Ha

I liked your dimmer switch idea. A good way to xplain the varaible ratios.
The project is going to have photos by me to record the process so others can modify thier vehicles in tyhe same way. If not that, I sell the patent Im currently getting for this, to a manufacture like subaru or honda ect.
Ill see if they can some how develop a sports car that will have the Manual CVT in it. All I want is to own one and drive it around. I also want people to understand why I feel the way I do About this by driving one too.
Old 03-16-2005, 04:57 PM   #29
Gothicaleigh
CF Newbie

An all wheel drive CVT (GM calls theirs VTi):

http://www.gm.com/automotive/gmpower.../vti/index.htm
Old 03-16-2005, 05:27 PM   #30
808state
CF Newbie

Very cool

So this model CVT is AWD, and has a "pear-shaped" torque converter/clutch made out of carbon fiber. That's great! This is interesting because the CVT I had in mind would have to take about 300 hp and it would be nice to have an AWD CVT vehicle.
Most CVT's are smaller than traditional tranny's so I wont have a problem putting this in a subaru imprezna, or something.