Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-20-2005, 09:33 PM   #1
Zalight
Who's house? Runs house.

How do car manufacturers choose their emblem?

I have been wondering about this for a while. I mean some emblems make sense, like ford:

A simple blue oval with fords name in it.

Smoe emblems I know have a story behind them. BMW for example used to make airplane engines during WWII but they started making cars, which were more profitable. When they switched to making cars, they made the emblem a white propeller spinning in a blue sky:

But what about other emblems, whose meaning is a little more elusive?

For example, why did chevy choose the famous bow tie?

And whats with toyotas wierd circular emblem?

Someone once told me that it is a combination of all the letters that make up toyota, but Im not to sure about that theory.

and why did mazda use to have the wierd alien looking guy (which I can't find a picture of) Then switch to this thing:

Is there a story behind any other emblems?
Porsche:

Ferrari:

Lamborghini:

Last edited by Zalight : 03-20-2005 at 09:42 PM.
Zalight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 12:52 AM   #2
mazda6man
im JDM TITE YO!

all i know is that a LOT of money it put into the emblems, and they try to ensure that they are easily recognizeable
My rides = 1992 Cressida aka "the Cressy"
1985 Cressida aka "pain in my asshole"

mazda6man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 01:07 AM   #3
windsonian
Dodger65's weirdo

i think the new mazda one has something to do with a bird flying as part of the M ... not really sure though - and not really sure why either.
windsonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 01:17 AM   #4
hammerthief
CF Newbie

Enzo Ferrari was presented with the prancing horse by the parents of a count who was shot down in the war. The horse graced his airplane, and ve was his coat of arms. The side of the plane was cut out and returned to the parents which was given to Enzo. I believe his name was Baracca, Enzo used the coat on his cars as a sign of honor and respect...

Lamborghini made agricultural tractors before making cars, mainly to prove he could build a better car than Ferrari....so i guess a stubborn bull was apt..

Porche use the heraldic coat of arms from Stuttgart as a basis for their badge...

Jaguar....is a jaguar....

The Audi badge the 'Four Rings' is the emblem of one of the oldest car manufacturers in Germany. It symbolises the 1932 merger of the four independent motor-vehicle manufacturers: Audi, DKW, Horch and Wanderer

Lotus badge is made up from the entwined initials of founder Colin Chapman..

TVR....TreVoR Wilkinson founder of company....
hammerthief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 02:55 AM   #5
Zalight
Who's house? Runs house.

Wow, thanks. Anybody know any other stories?

By the way, sorry if this thread isn't to friendly to dial up users...
Old 03-21-2005, 05:36 AM   #6
Gothicaleigh
CF Newbie

The Cadillac wreath and crest is the family crest of the founder of Detroit (Antoine De Lamothe-Cadillac).

http://www.car-nection.com/yann/Dbas_txt/mascots.htm
Many of the older emblems substituted a "V" for the wreath, and this is one of the reasons Cadillac decided to signify their new performance cars with a "V" series emblem.

The Chevrolet bowtie was copied from:

http://home.earthlink.net/~scrippsbo...iehistory.html

Last edited by Gothicaleigh : 03-21-2005 at 05:39 AM.
Gothicaleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 12:06 AM   #7
moostang104314
the guy you wish you were

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammerthief
Jaguar....is a jaguar....
Why is the company called Jaguar? I've always wondered...
Old 03-22-2005, 11:33 AM   #8
-What-
Banned

Location: Everywhere! Previous Join Date: Jul 2004 Status: Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zalight
How do car manufacturers choose their emblem?
Finally, a topic worth responding to. Let me educate you punks...

BMW:
BMW used to build airplane engines, so their symbol is supposed to represent a rotating airplane propeller.

Toyota:
The Toyota symbol is actually three elipses, with each elipse representing something....I forget. I think one represents the customer, another represents Toyota products, and the last represents the "future".

Ford:
The Ford symbol has absolutely no meaning to it. It was chosen by pure coincidence. Henry Ford's partner made business cards for him, and when Henry Ford decided to design a "label" for his car company, the typewriter used by his partner just happened to be in the font the "Ford" logo is written in today. The oval and the blue ink were added in later years.

Mazda:
Mazda has had many symbols. The "alien symbol" is suppose to symbolise "wings, sun and the circle of light". The new symbol is outstretched wings, which is suppose to represent the successful future to come for Mazda.

Mitsubishi:
Mitsubishi used to build ships, so it was believed that the "3 diamonds" emblem represented a ship's propeller. But some people argued that the emblem actually meant the joining of something. The company is like, almost 90 years old, so no one really knows. They forgot.

Subaru:
Subaru loosely translates to "6 stars" from the Taurus constellation....hence the emblem.

Mercedes:
The star represents its "domination of land, air, and sea". The "Benz" wreath was added later when the companies combined.

Mitsubishi-----

Mercedes-----

Subaru-----
-What- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 12:30 PM   #9
-What-
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by moostang104314
Why is the company called Jaguar? I've always wondered...

Originally called the "Swallow Sidecar Company", the company's cars were getting a complete redesign, and an advertising agency for the company felt that a new name and image was needed for the improved cars. So the name "SS Jaguar" was chosen because the cars were supposed to be agile but powerful, graceful and elegant...like a Jaguar.
Old 03-22-2005, 11:27 PM   #10
mazda6man
im JDM TITE YO!

hey, look whos back...
My rides = 1992 Cressida aka "the Cressy"
1985 Cressida aka "pain in my asshole"

mazda6man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 07:37 AM   #11
PeteBobJoe
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by -What-
Originally called the "Swallow Sidecar Company", the company's cars were getting a complete redesign, and an advertising agency for the company felt that a new name and image was needed for the improved cars. So the name "SS Jaguar" was chosen because the cars were supposed to be agile but powerful, graceful and elegant...like a Jaguar.

Holy freakin crap it's you again....

Let me eduacate all you folks on this hear fruit loop...

He was also a member of FCF or Fastcarforum.com a stupid forum with gay folk in it...anywho he was banned form it I think about 5 or 6 times using the names WHAT -what- DENIED some loser name and a couple other variations of the word "what".

He lieks to use colors to I guess emphasize his point or something...beats me...

And no matter how many times you ban this fruit cake he some how finds a way back in...I guess getting banned the first three times doesn't give him a clue...

Anywho...

The best emblem is the one of Lamborghini....simple, cool, and very recognisable...justa kickass emblem....
PeteBobJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 11:07 AM   #12
-What-
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazda6man
hey, look whos back...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteBobJoe

Everyone just bypasses the useful information that I post.
Jeez...it's so hard being me.

Quote:
Anywho...The best emblem is the one of Lamborghini....simple, cool, and very recognisable...justa kickass emblem....
No one asked for an opinion on which was the "best emblem", the guy wanted to know the emblems' origins

Also, I love you man.
Old 03-23-2005, 05:29 PM   #13
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Quote:

Thanks, but no one asked.

Quote:
He was also a member of FCF or Fastcarforum.com a stupid forum with gay folk in it...anywho he was banned form it I think about 5 or 6 times using the names WHAT -what- DENIED some loser name and a couple other variations of the word "what".

Let me get this right, you don't like the forum he was banned from. This is supposed to support your point in what way? And you've used a completely irrelevant description of teh people there.

[/quote]He lieks to use colors to I guess emphasize his point or something...beats me...[/uote]

I'd be willing to be a lot of things "beat you." And again, this information is relevant how?

Quote:
The best emblem is the one of Lamborghini....simple, cool, and very recognisable...justa kickass emblem....

And this answers the question how? Oh, right, it doesn't.

Lamborghini's emblem was a fighting bull. Ferruccio Lamborghini was born under teh Zodiac sign of Taurus, the Bull. His raging bull logo was used on his Fiat tuning firm in teh late '40s to his tractor company, so it was natural that it would also be on his cars.

Subaru's logo is from the merger of five companies to form Fuji heavy Industries. Subaru is japanese for "unite." The cluster of stars is actually the Pleiades... and each represents a different part of Fuji Heavy.

The four rings of Audi represent the four companies of the Auto-Union consortium of 1932 - DKW, Horch, Wanderer, and Audi. After the war the Audi name - which is Latin for "Hear!" - disappeared, but was revived in 1965, using the four rings as a logo.

Also, the name is sort of a pun on 'hoerch', German for 'hear', name of one of the founders.

Ferrari's prancing horse was originally the emblem of Italian WWI flying ace Francesco Baracca, whose parents persuaded Ferrari to adopt the symbol of their late son for his racing Alfas.

Mazda's had a number of logos over the years, but the name "Mazda" representes a combination of "Ahura-Mazda", the name of an ancient god, and Mr. Jyujiro, founder of the Mazda Corporation.

Most of this is easily found on Google...

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 08:50 PM   #14
Zalight
Who's house? Runs house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisV
Most of this is easily found on Google...

I know, but what can I say, Im lazy. I also thought that I wasn't the only one in our forums wondering about this, so if I created a thread, people could easily see for themselves.

Plus its an interesting topic.
Old 03-24-2005, 12:45 AM   #15
CarEXPERT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by -What-
Everyone just bypasses the useful information that I post.
Jeez...it's so hard being me.

No one asked for an opinion on which was the "best emblem", the guy wanted to know the emblems' origins

Also, I love you man.

-What-: are you that fool that was here flowing?
CarEXPERT is offline   Reply With Quote