Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-08-2005, 04:57 PM   #1
scott@oax.com
CF Newbie

1980 Chevy Silverado Truck Left Sitting!!

I recently inherited from my mechnically lame father-in-law a 1980 Chevy Siverado 10 half ton pickup with a 305 G series engine. The fun part is that it has been sitting for 8 YEARS without running though it DID run when he left it to rot. Now, I either need to two it to a junk yard or get it running. What say ye gentlemen?

So far, I have cleaned it out (including the mice living in the air-filter housing and the two raccoon skulls under the hood). I have a new battery for it. I have new air filter, oil, oil filter, etc. I would like to not spend a fortunate on seeing if the thing will run, but I wouldn't mind the extra ranch vehicle. My next step is to pull the plugs and squirt some oil down the cylinders. Then there is my first question. Do I try to use the starter to turn it over? If not, how do I try and turn this over by hand?

Also, I know this is a stupid question for you guys who work on cars all the time, but how do I drain the old gas easily on this vehicle?

Thanks in advance.
scott@oax.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 05:53 PM   #2
lectroid
0000?

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott@oax.com
I recently inherited from my mechnically lame father-in-law a 1980 Chevy Siverado 10 half ton pickup with a 305 G series engine. The fun part is that it has been sitting for 8 YEARS without running though it DID run when he left it to rot. Now, I either need to two it to a junk yard or get it running. What say ye gentlemen?

So far, I have cleaned it out (including the mice living in the air-filter housing and the two raccoon skulls under the hood). I have a new battery for it. I have new air filter, oil, oil filter, etc. I would like to not spend a fortunate on seeing if the thing will run, but I wouldn't mind the extra ranch vehicle. My next step is to pull the plugs and squirt some oil down the cylinders. Then there is my first question. Do I try to use the starter to turn it over? If not, how do I try and turn this over by hand?

Also, I know this is a stupid question for you guys who work on cars all the time, but how do I drain the old gas easily on this vehicle?

Thanks in advance.
First, the gas issue is not the least bit stupid. How much fuel is in the tank/if you know?1st-2nd Disconnect the coil from the distributer and turn the engine over for a while to get the oil circulated.
Old 02-08-2005, 06:58 PM   #3
scott@oax.com
CF Newbie

Fuel

NO I have no idea howmuch fuel is in it. I can see if the gauge works when I hook up the battery. I had thought of a siphon pump to get the old fuel out for starters.

Sound reaonable?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lectroid
First, the gas issue is not the least bit stupid. How much fuel is in the tank/if you know?1st-2nd Disconnect the coil from the distributer and turn the engine over for a while to get the oil circulated.
Old 02-08-2005, 11:00 PM   #4
lectroid
0000?

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott@oax.com
NO I have no idea howmuch fuel is in it. I can see if the gauge works when I hook up the battery. I had thought of a siphon pump to get the old fuel out for starters.

Sound reaonable?
Absolutley(no electric or battery pumps!) and I would then remove the tank and clean it out,especially after eight years. Wouldn't hurt to have some carb cleaner on hand too.
Old 02-09-2005, 03:42 AM   #5
scott@oax.com
CF Newbie

Odds

So what are the odds this thing will ever run again? Should I just cut my losses and tow it off?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lectroid
Absolutley(no electric or battery pumps!) and I would then remove the tank and clean it out,especially after eight years. Wouldn't hurt to have some carb cleaner on hand too.