Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-2005, 06:38 PM   #16
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Quote:
Originally Posted by DodgeRida67
What a load of jibberish mind-less garbage.

If you were a real car enthusiast, you'd know a little something about car history and you'd have an appreciation for just about every vehicle out there on the market and what was out there previously.

Ding! Winner! Post of the effin' year!

And if he was a well rounded enthusiast, he'd also know why the names got to wher they are, and why they are respected.

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005, 06:43 PM   #17
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godlaus
That's what I mean, playing off of ignorance. In the end, it's all based upon what you want. If you want a faster car for a cheaper price than a ferrari, go for a z28 or something along those lines. It's faster, RWD and powerful. It all depends on what you want. Different strokes for different folks. Do you want to be adored by the large, but ignorant public, or the small and intelligent car people?

maybe, even though some of us would rather build a car than buy one off the rack, we ALSO love cars because we love them. I love F40s. I also love '63 250 GT berlinetta Lussos, even though they aren't any faster or built any better than many other cars I could actually afford. I like cars becaeu I LIKE them. Sometimes others like them, too. Sometimes, i'm the only one!

But, some people like to wtch theater, and some people like to be on stage. And amongst those who like to be on stage, there are those who like to be part of an ensemble, and those who like center stage. Apparently you're not one who likes to be center stage. Fine for you, but that doesn't mean, as you are implying, that those who DO like center stage are stupid.

I'm building my '63 Comet as a show car. that means it's a car that I'm building specifically becaeu it's a car *I* like (and not a popular year or model), but it's also supposed to be an eye catcher, meant to make people look at it, and maybe even "adore" it. According to you, that makes me a bad person, and that's horseshite.

www.midatlantic7s.com
Old 02-11-2005, 11:51 PM   #18
Mathew
-BMW 3rd Year Apprentice-

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisV
Because any assclown can buy off the rack. It takes skill and ingenuity to build something yourself, or make somehting from a lesser car, for less money. Or or even for the same money.

It's the same with making ANYTHING yourself. Building a computer yourself from parts YOU sourced rather than buying one already built. Like fabricationg your own deck chair rather than just buying one from a store, etc.

It's called a hobby for a reason, and its the reason we don't all own the same f*cking car. We get to buy OR build what we like, not what someone else thinks is the better choice.

I'm all for modifying cars, especially when it comes to people who are passionate about it and like to do things themselves. However, that still doesn't justify someone saying something stupid like "Why would you buy an M3 when you can have a civic thats more powerful and cheaper!". I myself am in training to be an automotive mechanic, and aspire to modify (and restore) cars when I am older. However, if I could afford it, I would still buy an M3 or a Ferrari or whatever. And I'm not talking about car people here, most people who can afford cars like this have never opened a hood in their life. Its ridiculous to think that they should buy a grocery getter, and modify the shit out of it. I don't look down on a rich guy that buys an M3 instead of modifying a lesser car. He obviously has a sense of style and has done his research. Nor do I look down on the guy who buys a beater and makes it a race car. However, the guy who says "Why would you buy an M3 when you can have a civic thats more powerful and cheaper!" is still a retard.

ChrisV, I respect your opinions because I admire a man who knows what he's talking about, but I stand by my point.
Mathew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2005, 02:43 AM   #19
DSMer
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathew
I'm all for modifying cars, especially when it comes to people who are passionate about it and like to do things themselves. However, that still doesn't justify someone saying something stupid like "Why would you buy an M3 when you can have a civic thats more powerful and cheaper!". I myself am in training to be an automotive mechanic, and aspire to modify (and restore) cars when I am older. However, if I could afford it, I would still buy an M3 or a Ferrari or whatever. And I'm not talking about car people here, most people who can afford cars like this have never opened a hood in their life. Its ridiculous to think that they should buy a grocery getter, and modify the shit out of it. I don't look down on a rich guy that buys an M3 instead of modifying a lesser car. He obviously has a sense of style and has done his research. Nor do I look down on the guy who buys a beater and makes it a race car. However, the guy who says "Why would you buy an M3 when you can have a civic thats more powerful and cheaper!" is still a retard.

ChrisV, I respect your opinions because I admire a man who knows what he's talking about, but I stand by my point.

While you are on the right point your biased judgment about "rich" people not having any know how of cars is simply pertruded by ignorance. My father has owned a couple handfulls of Mercedes, BMW's, and a couple older Ferrari's. I can assure you that he's looked under the hood on all of him. Aside from the fact that hes an automotive engineer he has tons of associates whom take their expensive Mercedes and Audis to him when they need help. I can assure you that they too have looked under the hoods of their $80,000+ cars also.

Not everyone is a mechanic and not everyone knows the exact specs to create a race engine. That does not mean you can't appreciate a well made car. I don't know how the computer that I'm typing on works down to the smallest electron, yet I can still appreciate a good one when I see one. Its all a matter of personal preference. The fact that you can build a Civic that will be faster than Ferrari might appeal to some people. The fact that you can buy a $145,000 Ferrari that could kill almost every other car might be appealing to others.

Its ALL about personal preference. Nothing more, nothing less....

...Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. It's just that yours is stupid...
DSMer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2005, 05:11 AM   #20
Mathew
-BMW 3rd Year Apprentice-

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMer
While you are on the right point your biased judgment about "rich" people not having any know how of cars is simply pertruded by ignorance. My father has owned a couple handfulls of Mercedes, BMW's, and a couple older Ferrari's. I can assure you that he's looked under the hood on all of him. Aside from the fact that hes an automotive engineer he has tons of associates whom take their expensive Mercedes and Audis to him when they need help. I can assure you that they too have looked under the hoods of their $80,000+ cars also.

Not everyone is a mechanic and not everyone knows the exact specs to create a race engine. That does not mean you can't appreciate a well made car. I don't know how the computer that I'm typing on works down to the smallest electron, yet I can still appreciate a good one when I see one. Its all a matter of personal preference. The fact that you can build a Civic that will be faster than Ferrari might appeal to some people. The fact that you can buy a $145,000 Ferrari that could kill almost every other car might be appealing to others.

Its ALL about personal preference. Nothing more, nothing less....

I'm not saying all rich people don't know anything about cars. I'm sorry if I was too general. But I am referring to the type who don't even pump their own gas. You know the type.
Mathew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2005, 07:18 AM   #21
Voda48
CF Lance Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisV
Because any assclown can buy off the rack. It takes skill and ingenuity to build something yourself, or make somehting from a lesser car, for less money. Or or even for the same money.

It's the same with making ANYTHING yourself. Building a computer yourself from parts YOU sourced rather than buying one already built. Like fabricationg your own deck chair rather than just buying one from a store, etc.

It's called a hobby for a reason, and its the reason we don't all own the same f*cking car. We get to buy OR build what we like, not what someone else thinks is the better choice.

And I think that hemi ad is hilarious! it's playing off the "manly" reasons to buy a vehicle, rather than the practical, family reasons, and it's FUNNY.

Man Chris that is like 3 posts in a row.... You whore! (ya right) Chris once again you choose to bless us with terrific insight. I am building a computer as we speak and I have nothing but respect for those individuals out there that can do the same on a car, even a POS civic. Even the great Carroll Shelby applauds today's youth at what they can accomplish with the limited funds they have. But that doesnt mean that when I pull up to a kid in a "pimped" Saturn or Dodge Stratus I wont laugh (cause you know I will). You give me a chioce between a classic Ferrari or a Civic, that is a no brainer. Those companies have built names for themselves have done so for a reason, and it isn't just a fad to own a BWM, it is a sign of wise investment in a company that has proven to produce a quality automobile.
Old 02-12-2005, 03:35 PM   #22
JaneiR36
CF Freak

Now, now, ChrisV, remember this started because somebody was questioning why people buy a ready-made high performance vehicle, not the other way round. I say to each her own (yes, you're all girls ).

The Hemi commercial is totally funny. After it came on once, I was asking a friend what it was, exactly. He was like, it's in the engine, it gives it higher performance... I'm like, yeah, what is it, then? Personally, I think Hemi = Macho = Cha-ching for Auto marketters targetting young money-earning men
JaneiR36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2005, 09:42 PM   #23
Zalight
Who's house? Runs house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneiR36
The Hemi commercial is totally funny. After it came on once, I was asking a friend what it was, exactly. He was like, it's in the engine, it gives it higher performance... I'm like, yeah, what is it, then? Personally, I think Hemi = Macho = Cha-ching for Auto marketters targetting young money-earning men

A hemi is an engine with a hemi-spherical combustion chamber. SO yea it means more performance, macho, cha-ching and all that.
Old 02-15-2005, 02:42 AM   #24
choke
CF Newbie

in defense of ferrari, they cater to rich people because there is heritage and feeling behind them, they are hand built and may be driven by rich idiots but nevertheless i'd rather steal a ferrai and suffer the consequences than steal a modded civic and get away. on a little sad note about ferraris, an exceedingly rich pompous ass who lives near my buddy (in the area we only refer to as "the hills" ) spent upwards of 8k to make his *sniff* modena, a *sniff, an automatic! what kinda bs is that, people like that should be shot.
choke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 10:33 PM   #25
VMJYogi
CF Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by choke
in defense of ferrari, they cater to rich people because there is heritage and feeling behind them, they are hand built and may be driven by rich idiots but nevertheless i'd rather steal a ferrai and suffer the consequences than steal a modded civic and get away. on a little sad note about ferraris, an exceedingly rich pompous ass who lives near my buddy (in the area we only refer to as "the hills" ) spent upwards of 8k to make his *sniff* modena, a *sniff, an automatic! what kinda bs is that, people like that should be shot.

Well first of all the guy likes automatics. I give him props for doing that cause it's not very common for having an automatic ferrari. He basically pimped out his ride. I bet a lot of (rich) people will wanna follow in his tracks. and secondly...

WOW!!!! did you guys read my first post? i was like "hey appreciate the heritage man" and then ChrisV was like "hey idiots u are too stupid too know anything u friggin idiots. u should appreciate the heritage" For once i felt really smart... ChrisV, and DodgeRida67 said what i said.

Self-appointed anchorman of CF. I bring the news with a savvy tongue b*tch!
Now an ever prouder DEP of the USMC
I get fresh from Yankee Stadium to the Gardens i beg your pardon, stop it, my closet Macys mens department pants shirt scarf phone if you checkin get the scoop on the cologne belt and shoe section fur for fur baby baby you'll go stir crazy
VMJYogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 10:53 PM   #26
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathew
Nor do I look down on the guy who buys a beater and makes it a race car.

Apparently you didn't read my second post. Which talks about loving the cars that have heritage and a name.

But seriously, your post stating "If you can afford it, why wouldn't you buy a nicer, already fast car, DESIGNED to go fast, DESIGNED to look nice, and DESIGNED to take corners better?" Is usually used as a put down of people who chose to spend their money and use their skills to build something they like. It's usually used to say "why spend $30k on a Civic when you could buy a car already designed to go fast?" It's an insulting mindset right off the bat and it smacks of elitist tendencies.

See in this thread I end up defending both cars that have heritage and a name because of it, as being worthy of being bought FOR that name, and also defending modding a lesser car to work as good or better than the name brand rather than buy something already done and "off the rack." AND I end up defending cars bought OR built to be center stage.

And the main point I'm trying to get across is buy or build what you like and don't say anything bad abut someone else buying or building what THEY want or like.

www.midatlantic7s.com
Old 02-15-2005, 10:57 PM   #27
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneiR36
Now, now, ChrisV, remember this started because somebody was questioning why people buy a ready-made high performance vehicle, not the other way round. I say to each her own (yes, you're all girls ).

And I responded to that, as well. Again, see my THIRD post.

"maybe, even though some of us would rather build a car than buy one off the rack, we ALSO love cars because we love them. I love F40s. I also love '63 250 GT berlinetta Lussos, even though they aren't any faster or built any better than many other cars I could actually afford."

The great marques got that way for a reason, and when you strip away the wannabe's that buy many of the cars, you'll see they are still BUILT for those reasons.

www.midatlantic7s.com
Old 02-16-2005, 12:24 AM   #28
moostang104314
the guy you wish you were

Let's look at it this way, someone buying a Ferrari, or other sports car for that matter, are getting their money worth. I stopped by the Ferrari dealer near my house, and it is mind-blowing to see how the dealer achieves customer satisfaction. Imagine buying any ol' car. You look at the cars, sit down and talk with the salesman, maybe get a cup of coffee. But buying a Ferrari, let's say, is entirely different. You walk into the dealer and get greeted by a very professional-looking man. You look around the showroom. Get treated to a drink at the wet bar. Maybe shoot some pool or hit a few balls on the indoor putting green. And the bathrooms were the most amazing washrooms I have seen in my life! Heated toilet seats, a flat screen television, complimentary mouthwash, cloth towels, etc... You're paying $200 thousand plus, the buying experience better be worth it.

As I said in the other thread. There's nothing the same about standing next to an Aston Martin, Ferrari, etc. The craftmanship is SO beautiful, if you're were allowed to actually touch the cars, my hands would rub every surface of that vehicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inygknok
those ppl can afford those things, so let them. sure, those insane amounts of cash could be used for other more necessary things, but if ppl didnt buy Ferraris and Lamborghinis, then wat kinds of out-of-our-range cars will we hope to see on the streets every single day and break our necks looking at them while they drive past by for just 5 seconds?

I totally agree. If all rich people bought a Honda Civic and modded it, companies like Ferrari and Porsche would only exist in the racing world. They probably wouldn't even be involved with racing! These companies put so much passion into their cars, it creates dreams for all people, young and old. And it's the dreaming about the Ferrari Enzo or BMW M3 that brings all auto enthusiasts, and others together. Without these "Dreamcars," every road and every street corner would be lined with every day, average cars. It's cars like Ferraris that keep us dreaming, and makes life a lot more colorful and interesting.
Old 02-16-2005, 02:15 AM   #29
DSMer
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by choke
on a little sad note about ferraris, an exceedingly rich pompous ass who lives near my buddy (in the area we only refer to as "the hills" ) spent upwards of 8k to make his *sniff* modena, a *sniff, an automatic! what kinda bs is that, people like that should be shot.

Dammit ChrisV, I can't seem to find that thread where you explained the biased feelings against cars with automatic trannys. I'm seriously tired of hearing every one equate a third petal and 5 numerical selections on a lever with performance. Maybe you could possibly find it that post needs to be stickied...

...Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. It's just that yours is stupid...
DSMer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 04:35 AM   #30
choke
CF Newbie

dsm all i ment by tha post was that i'd rather drive a manual than an automatic. no i didn't mean to confuse manual with performance, just ment that if ur gunna spend a large sum of money to make a ferrari a automatic maybe you would be better off getting a car built for a smooth ride instead of performance. manual generally give you better control of a car as opposed to an automatic i.e. double-clutching