Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-17-2005, 11:12 AM   #46
GreekWarrior
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMer
No, its possible to drift with an automatic tranny.

Oh ok.

GreekWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 05:20 PM   #47
Godlaus
UnFedFat in Disguise

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreekWarrior
Oh ok.

Actually, if it's a street auto, then it's really hard to drift in it, as the gears will probably keep on changing around. It's easier to drift in a manual, and harder to in an auto, but it's not impossible.

Side note = is there a world record for fastest hand shift? I'd like to see it compared to a f430 shift time (140 milliseconds) so that we have proof to this auto/manual argument.
Old 02-17-2005, 10:45 PM   #48
DSMer
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godlaus
Actually, if it's a street auto, then it's really hard to drift in it, as the gears will probably keep on changing around. It's easier to drift in a manual, and harder to in an auto, but it's not impossible.

Side note = is there a world record for fastest hand shift? I'd like to see it compared to a f430 shift time (140 milliseconds) so that we have proof to this auto/manual argument.

There is no way any one man can move a gear in 140 milliseconds. The time it takes to move your hand to the shifter, clutch, and move the gear selector would ammount to at least a 1-2 second of shifting time. Even if your hand was allready on the selecter and you were just waiting for the RPMs to reach where you wanted it(wich so many racers do), you'd still be at .5-1 seconds.

Not saying its impossible for a manual to beat an automatic tranny. I'm simply stating that an automatic tranny geared to shift at the exact points will be within milliseconds of the correct shift point everytime. Manual has room for driver error and delayed or missed shifts. Even the best of drag racers miss shifts and iono about your trannys but my car shifts at 2800 on the dot everytime.

...Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. It's just that yours is stupid...
DSMer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005, 03:12 AM   #49
choke
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zalight
DSMer, he doesn't mean handling of the car, he means control of the engine. You have better control of the engine speed with a manual. Which is why most road racing/drifting/autocross cars are manual. The driver controls where the engine is at in rpms by changing gears, so he can stay in the power band or wherever he wants in order to get exactly what he wants out of his car.

thnx zalight that is what i ment. and still the statement remains uncontested that race cars are generally manual (autocross). any comments dsmer? not being sarcastic but plz enlighten us.
Old 02-18-2005, 03:16 AM   #50
DSMer
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by choke
thnx zalight that is what i ment. and still the statement remains uncontested that race cars are generally manual (autocross). any comments dsmer? not being sarcastic but plz enlighten us.

I never said anything about autocross. I was strictly talking straight line.

Old 02-18-2005, 03:27 AM   #51
choke
CF Newbie

Quote:
I never said anything about autocross. I was strictly talking straight line.

my apologies then, yes i know now that an automatic can be faster that a manual is drags n such. guess i should be more clear in the future.
Old 02-18-2005, 10:50 AM   #52
eclipso
CF Newbie

Who cares about auto or manual. I drive a manual because goddamnit it's fun. Now I don't realize that I am shifting all the time, most of the time it's just something my body is doing while I drive. But there are those times when you feel like someone from your favorite car chase scene or something when you're rowing through the gears. It is fun. But if I was driving a luxury care I would want auto. I would just like to sit back and relax and enjoy the car without listening to my engine so I can shift.

Also, the best time to drift an auto is in the winter. During one particular winter storm everyone was worried about driving home from work. One lady asked me if I had four wheel drive because if I didn't I should go home early. "**** that," I said, "When we get out tonight I'm gonna be Colin McRae the whole way home." I guess it wasn't true drifting, since I could only see snow but no pavement, but hell, that was the best ride I've ever had in the old '90 Buick Century winter beater. That is what the love for driving is all about.
eclipso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2005, 12:52 AM   #53
CarEXPERT
Banned

I think stick is faster than auto because stick doesnt have a torque converter and the flwheel is directly connected to the tranny than a torque converter. Isnt that why a stick would be faster than auto? And also manuals usually have more gears than auto so the RPMs will go up faster because of the gear ratio right? Autos usually have 4 gears and some 5.
CarEXPERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2005, 03:23 AM   #54
DSMer
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarEXPERT
I think stick is faster than auto because stick doesnt have a torque converter and the flwheel is directly connected to the tranny than a torque converter. Isnt that why a stick would be faster than auto? And also manuals usually have more gears than auto so the RPMs will go up faster because of the gear ratio right? Autos usually have 4 gears and some 5.

CarNEWB just be quiet. What you think is irrelivant as to 99.9% of the time its always wrong. All cars manual or auto have some sort of a flywheel that directly connects to the tranmission. You're thinking of the mass, wich has nothing to do with the subject at hand. We are speaking faster in terms of shift time, wich has abosulutley noting to do with the flywheel or ammount of gears.

Old 02-19-2005, 06:07 AM   #55
GreekWarrior
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
CarNEWB just be quiet. What you think is irrelivant as to 99.9% of the time its always wrong. All cars manual or auto have some sort of a flywheel that directly connects to the tranmission. You're thinking of the mass, wich has nothing to do with the subject at hand. We are speaking faster in terms of shift time, wich has abosulutley noting to do with the flywheel or ammount of gears.

I told him to change his name to carNOVICE, but nooo.

Old 02-19-2005, 07:01 PM   #56
Godlaus
UnFedFat in Disguise

greekwarrior, can your sig get any bigger?
Old 02-19-2005, 10:59 PM   #57
CarEXPERT
Banned

Quote:

Im asking if a manual is faster tahan an auto cuz some ppl say its the same. the auto have a flexplate and autos need power to run the torque converter while a clutch in a manual doesnt so isnt manual faster? Dont autos lose more power when shifting too? Oviously mauals will shift slower cuz you have to shift the gears maually.
Old 02-19-2005, 11:16 PM   #58
DSMer
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarEXPERT
Im asking if a manual is faster tahan an auto cuz some ppl say its the same. the auto have a flexplate and autos need power to run the torque converter while a clutch in a manual doesnt so isnt manual faster? Dont autos lose more power when shifting too? Oviously mauals will shift slower cuz you have to shift the gears maually.

You need to read Automatics Vs Manual and stop asking questions. Try learning on your own for a chance. Its very satisfying to achieve something on your own. You'd be surprised how good you'll feel once you work for something instead of freeloading.

Old 02-19-2005, 11:32 PM   #59
CarEXPERT
Banned

Quote:
You need to read Automatics Vs Manual and stop asking questions. Try learning on your own for a chance. Its very satisfying to achieve something on your own. You'd be surprised how good you'll feel once you work for something instead of freeloading.

So manual is faster for smaller cars with high revin engine.
Old 02-20-2005, 01:32 AM   #60
GreekWarrior
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godlaus
greekwarrior, can your sig get any bigger?

I can't stop it, it's out of control!!!