Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-2005, 01:50 AM   #61
DSMer
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarEXPERT
So manual is faster for smaller cars with high revin engine.

If you read that entire 100+ post thread and you still don't understand you need to go to a school and pay for your education. Because teaching you is becoming a full time job...

...Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. It's just that yours is stupid...
DSMer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 02:08 AM   #62
DodgeRida67
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMer
If you read that entire 100+ post thread and you still don't understand you need to go to a school and pay for your education. Because teaching you is becoming a full time job...

I've tried to get him to find a starting point to learn from, he just won't do it. One day he'll find out he can't learn doing it the way he's doing it.
DodgeRida67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 02:14 AM   #63
DSMer
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by DodgeRida67
I've tried to get him to find a starting point to learn from, he just won't do it. One day he'll find out he can't learn doing it the way he's doing it.
I'll have to admit while his questions come by the handfull they are questions deserving good answers. He ask a hell of alot better ones than some of them I've been seeing latley. "Uh duh, should I get a Ferrari or a Skyline?" . I just don't have the time to answer them all indepth, sometimes I don't even know the answer. Other times his answer could be really simply awnswered by some simple reasearch.

Seriosly CarNewb, you really need to read some books on how cars(in general) work. You'll understand alot more that way. So when somone talking about suspensions you'll know what a McPherson(sp?) Strut and Trailing Link are. You gotta know the basics to understand the complex stuff.

Old 02-20-2005, 02:20 AM   #64
DodgeRida67
Banned

Quote:
I'll have to admit while his questions come by the handfull they are questions deserving good answers.

Speaking of the nature of his questions, most of the questions he asks he could answer himselve if he learned what he should be learning. He should be learning how the bake the cake, not how it tastes. Once he knows how to bake it, then he can taste it. See what I'm saying? I hope, because if not, that's going to sound screwy.
Old 02-20-2005, 02:23 AM   #65
CarEXPERT
Banned

Quote:
I'll have to admit while his questions come by the handfull they are questions deserving good answers. He ask a hell of alot better ones than some of them I've been seeing latley. "Uh duh, should I get a Ferrari or a Skyline?" . I just don't have the time to answer them all indepth, sometimes I don't even know the answer. Other times his answer could be really simply awnswered by some simple reasearch.

Seriosly CarNewb, you really need to read some books on how cars(in general) work. You'll understand alot more that way. So when somone talking about suspensions you'll know what a McPherson(sp?) Strut and Trailing Link are. You gotta know the basics to understand the complex stuff.

DSM you dont know shit about my knowledge. I know how engines work and the basic things but then there are something that seems basic but I know about it but it just doesnt make sense with eveyting else when I think about it. I partly know about what im asking and just making sure if im right and i might learn some more stuff about the basic thiings while at it.
CarEXPERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 02:26 AM   #66
DodgeRida67
Banned

Quote:
DSM you dont know shit about my knowledge. I know how engines work and the basic things but then there are something that seems basic but I know about it but it just doesnt make sense with eveyting else when I think about it. I partly know about what im asking and just making sure if im right and i might learn some more stuff about the basic thiings while at it.

Yeah, OK. You seem to think that a clutch connects/disconnects a "driveshaft."

If you'd be a big boy and take the advice you'd be way better off.
Old 02-20-2005, 02:29 AM   #67
DSMer
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by DodgeRida67
Speaking of the nature of his questions, most of the questions he asks he could answer himselve if he learned what he should be learning. He should be learning how the bake the cake, not how it tastes. Once he knows how to bake it, then he can taste it. See what I'm saying? I hope, because if not, that's going to sound screwy.

I've said that lots of times DR. In order to understand the WHY you have to learn the HOW first. You learn HOW a car functions and the WHY will come to you. But I don't think hes willing to read basic functions of a car, even I know it can get pretty boring but its worth it in the long run.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarNEWB

You don't understand how a basic car works. Else you would'nt have to ask such simple questions.

Old 02-20-2005, 02:34 AM   #68
CarEXPERT
Banned

Quote:
I've said that lots of times DR. In order to understand the WHY you have to learn the HOW first. You learn HOW a car functions and the WHY will come to you. But I don't think hes willing to read basic functions of a car, even I know it can get pretty boring but its worth it in the long run.

You don't understand how a basic car works. Else you would'nt have to ask such simple questions.

What!! I know how a basic fuking engine work and function!!!

And I never said a clutch disconect conect a driveshaft!!!
CarEXPERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 02:37 AM   #69
DSMer
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
What!! I know how a basic fuking engine work and function!!!

And I never said a clutch disconect conect a driveshaft!!!

I never said you did say that. The clutch temporarily disengages the clutch disc away from the flywheel. Just in case you did'nt know that. You don't have to tell me you know the basics of car functions. I allready know you don't your post speak for themselves.

Old 02-20-2005, 05:36 AM   #70
GreekWarrior
CF Extraordinaire

DSMer vs. carNOVICE , yeah this is a real battle, look out DSMer.

GreekWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 08:42 AM   #71
TurboLag
CF's Bonafide Sonbitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godlaus
It seems to me, that nowadays, people are buying a name instead of a vehicle. Earlier today, a girl told me that a BMW had a V-8, so itís faster than any V-6 or V-4 (Iím not joking, thatís an actual quote). Why do people buy names? Because they have cash, they spend it just to know that they drive around a an outdated Ferrari, simply because itís red and has a ďhorseyĒ on the back and front hood.

WTF. Why donít people do their research? A tuned civic can take out a classic Ferrari. I was even more disgusted when I say this commercial where these parents buy a SUV, and the father opens the hood and shows his son the engine. ďSon, thereís only one thing you need to know. HEMI!Ē I nearly threw up

because someone can slap on a sticker, does that make the car faster? No. Even if there was an engine like the one above, it would still be lugging along 4500 pounds. Probably around 5500 with the passengers. People seem to like buying a name, regardless of what that nam entails. Itís even more present in the ducati 999r.

Itís a fast motorcycle, but you have to run the RPMs high, and itís still not as fast as a hayabusa or GSX R1000. Oh yeah, the ducati also costs 3 times as much as the R1000. Why buy a name. the only reason I can think of, is that people think they make better vehicles. And then, only people who donít know anything about cars will respect you. Those who actually know what HEMI stands for will laugh at you for wasting your money. Is that what people want? To play off ignorance? What gives?

The other day, I saw a Saleen mustang. I automatically turned my head until my neck almost snapped. But, as I got further down the road, I began to think about why I did. Itís a way overpriced car with a saleen sticker on it.

WHY, WHY, WHY, WHY? Theyíre paying for a name, not a car. I guess youíre playing off of peopleís ignorance, and if thatís what you want, then sure, go for it, but is it better to have a fast car or is it better to drive a black civic that does 10 second quarter miles and just know that youíre faster?

Easy, They're status symbols. People want the most attention they can get. So they blow all their money on a name, like Gucci or Prada. I think it's pretty ironic that women spend all they're money on $400 Coach purses but in the end they have no money to put in them . Like the 2005 Saleen s281, The 0-60 is actually slower than a stock mustang gt. But people still pay $80,000 for their rear bumper to say "SALEEN". Or when people pay 200 grand for a lamborghini gallardo, when they could have bought 4 2004 Corvette Z06s which have faster 0-60s. All in all: people want to be noticed, it makes them feel special. When in reality they're just making themselves look stupid.

Quote:
I am crazy. But you know what else? I don't give a ****.
-Tupac
TurboLag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 12:41 PM   #72
99integra
CF's Florida boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboLag
Easy, They're status symbols. People want the most attention they can get. So they blow all their money on a name, like Gucci or Prada. I think it's pretty ironic that women spend all they're money on $400 Coach purses but in the end they have no money to put in them . Like the 2005 Saleen s281, The 0-60 is actually slower than a stock mustang gt. But people still pay $80,000 for their rear bumper to say "SALEEN". Or when people pay 200 grand for a lamborghini gallardo, when they could have bought 4 2004 Corvette Z06s which have faster 0-60s. All in all: people want to be noticed, it makes them feel special. When in reality they're just making themselves look stupid.

Look at how many months old this thread is