Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Classic Cars
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-14-2005, 02:41 AM   #1
Private Donkey
CF Newbie

Where can i get some stuff

i am only 13 and plan by the time i'm old enough to drive i'll know a lot about cars so i can mod my own and have a car in highschool (its way cooler than video games and better for me so i was wondering where about i could find an old enginge from any car but prefibly from the 60-80 just too tinker with and learn more about cars enigines. Also what tools would i need for this job? and how much would this all come to?

i'm into auto-mechanics way more than auot-body so ya...
Private Donkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 06:02 AM   #2
Wally
I Know More Than You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Private Donkey
i am only 13 and plan by the time i'm old enough to drive i'll know a lot about cars so i can mod my own and have a car in highschool (its way cooler than video games and better for me so i was wondering where about i could find an old enginge from any car but prefibly from the 60-80 just too tinker with and learn more about cars enigines. Also what tools would i need for this job? and how much would this all come to?

i'm into auto-mechanics way more than auot-body so ya...

Tinkering with engines is an expensive hobby. I would recommend you start with something like a small japanese three or four cylinder:- they have all the workings and won't take up a large workspace. They also have very good engineering in their design, as a rule.

Tools and instruments are going to cost.

Make sure you get an engine that is well supported by a forum for advice. Look for members who actually get their hands dirty otherwise you may just as well use a a Tom Sawyer novel for technical support.
Old 02-14-2005, 03:22 PM   #3
theman352001
--- Voice of Reason ---

Quote:
....so i was wondering where about i could find an old enginge from any car but prefibly from the 60-80 just too tinker with and learn more about cars enigines. ...
You can easily get an engine from an auto salvage yard. I'd suggest a V-6 as they are a bit more complicated than a 4 and yet not quite as heavy as a V8 (no, not the drink). Plus, they may be a bit cheaper than a V8.

Quote:
....Also what tools would i need for this job? and how much would this all come to?...
Some basic tools you would need would be a set of wrenches, a ratchet, set of sockets, a few screwdrivers. I would start with a 3/8" drive ratchet set (make sure you get the correct system for the engine your working on, metric or standard). You may need a larger ratchet when it comes to removing the head bolts and main bearing cap bolts. Go to Sears for your beginning set.

Sears Tools

You will probably need an engine stand to make life a bit easier for you also. You can get those pretty cheap at Harbor Freight or similar places. Getting it on the stand may be fun if you don't have an engine hoist so you may need to borrow one of those or buy one. They can be had for about $125 or so.

Good luck.
theman352001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 11:14 PM   #4
DPelletier
CF Newbie

As stated previously, good tools are a must and will probably represent the bulk of your costs to get set-up. Sears is a good choice as thier tools are relatively high quality and have an excellent warranty. Avoid cheap offshore tools; good tools will last you a long time. Buy a Chilton's repair manual or equivalent for whatever engine you get and read it to get an idea of what tools you'll need although a good 3/8" drive socket set and a set of wrenches is a good start.
As far as engines go, my suggestion would be something pre-emmission and pre-electronic as a first project. A small block V-8 (especially GM) from '75 and prior are plentiful, relatively inexpensive and have a vast supply of aftermarket parts available. An air cooled motorcycle 4 stroke engine is also a good learning project especially if space is an issue.

Dave
Old 02-15-2005, 04:50 AM   #5
Sick88Tbird
Master of the Fox-chassis

Any pre-emission ford 302/351, gm 305/350, or mopar 318/360 would be excellent choices...all of these engines are extremely easy to find in a junkyard and will cost very little to buy as well as build up. Small air-cooled ATV engines are great too, but parts can be pricey.

With the right knowledge you can double the output of a lawn mower engine for next to nothing....and it'll sound better than any import with a fart can muffler. You think I'm kidding?

1988 Cougar XR-7- HO/T-5 conversion, cracked block prevented from reaching full potential.

RIP '88 T-Bird....14.1@98.7mph...best sleeper in So. Jersey, now it's taking a permanent dirt nap.
Sick88Tbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 06:04 AM   #6
Wally
I Know More Than You

Yeah, but the kid is 13...you want to give him an hernia? And an old engine will cost with machining bores and the like. Then there's the fuel bills for a student.
Old 02-15-2005, 11:21 PM   #7
Private Donkey
CF Newbie

Question thxs

thxs guys that was alot of help. I hope to get started as soon asap!

To increase the output on the lawnmoore what should i do?
(i have a pretty good idea and when i actually get my hands on would be able to increase output a bit more but extra help is always pleasing)

Last edited by Private Donkey : 02-16-2005 at 12:58 AM.
Old 02-16-2005, 04:41 AM   #8
Sick88Tbird
Master of the Fox-chassis

Most small lawnmower engines are flatheads...meaning the valves are located in the block, not the head...technology from the early 1900's. The head is easy to take off. Clean off all the gasket material from both the head and the block and apply a super light, thin coat of Permatex Gasket maker...the non-hardening variety...that raises compression a bit. But you have to torque the head down properly and it's really a feel sort of thing. Briggs and Stratton engines are the easiest to work on and are probably the most common. Porting the intake and exhaust ports a little to smooth them out helps as well. If you're like me and have an assortment of B&S engines around, you should be able to locate a steel cam..not like some of the plastic lobed cams. Also, if you have a thread in muffler on it instead of the bolt on type....you can get a piece of pipe about 12-24 inches of the proper diameter with one end threaded....and unmuffled and muffled lawnmower sound almost identical(depending on what style muffler is being used). Also, if you're working on say, a 3.5hp engine and can grap a carb off of a 5 or 5.5hp engine, do that. Oh yeah, and if you don't run it on premium it'll be hard as hell to start and it'll ping and knock a little under load...with 93 octane or better it should start first pull if everything has been done right.

I can't believe I typed all this info about a damn lawn mower...then again, I started the same way experimenting and seeing what worked and what didn't. SO, have at it and have fun.

1988 Cougar XR-7- HO/T-5 conversion, cracked block prevented from reaching full potential.

RIP '88 T-Bird....14.1@98.7mph...best sleeper in So. Jersey, now it's taking a permanent dirt nap.
Sick88Tbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 03:30 AM   #9
Private Donkey
CF Newbie

Talking Wow

WOW thxs SO MUCH that info should help me alot