Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Classic Cars
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-14-2005, 10:34 PM   #1
BanditTA79
CF Newbie

Question Exaust samples for 79 TA?

Hey, I was wondering where I could find some sound samples online for different exausts on engines but specifically a 403. I'm planning on rebuilding the engine but I want a good sound and I have no idea what to get. Can anyone help?
BanditTA79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 02:18 AM   #2
fc7gtx
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanditTA79
Hey, I was wondering where I could find some sound samples online for different exausts on engines but specifically a 403. I'm planning on rebuilding the engine but I want a good sound and I have no idea what to get. Can anyone help?

Wish I could help on the Wav files but I haven't seen any 403 muffler files. I had the stock exhaust on both my T/A 403 Olds motors and I liked the mellow sound but that was years ago and they probably make better flowing exhaust nowadays.

Here's some sound files from Dynomax:Dynomax Wav Files

Chris

Last edited by fc7gtx : 02-15-2005 at 02:37 AM.
fc7gtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 04:43 AM   #3
Sick88Tbird
Master of the Fox-chassis

Be careful how much work you put into that 403...bottom ends aren't the toughest in the world, what with the windowed blocks and all. They can handle the typical carb, intake, exhaust mods well, as long as you don't rev the living daylights out of it.

1988 Cougar XR-7- HO/T-5 conversion, cracked block prevented from reaching full potential.

RIP '88 T-Bird....14.1@98.7mph...best sleeper in So. Jersey, now it's taking a permanent dirt nap.
Sick88Tbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 05:58 PM   #4
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sick88Tbird
Be careful how much work you put into that 403...bottom ends aren't the toughest in the world, what with the windowed blocks and all. They can handle the typical carb, intake, exhaust mods well, as long as you don't rev the living daylights out of it.

True. 4500 rpm is about all theyll breathe to, but don't worry, you can make it very quick even with that.

I had a '78 403 T/A and two fellow club members had '79s with that engine. All of us used simple 2 1/2" dual exhaust with 3 chamber flowmasters, headers with a crossover pipe a little behind the collectors, recurved the distributor for a few more degrees of advance, and rejetted and tuned the quadrajet for a bit more response. No other changes (never even had the heads off). With the 2.43 rear end ratio and a B&M shift improver kit in the trans, the cars went from being 16.5 second quarter mile cars to high 13s. When my friend swapped to 3.55 rear end gears, the 4500 rpm redline hurt and the car actually slowed down in the quarter as it got to top speed about 3/4 of the way down the track... 3.0 gears might have worked, or even 2.73's...

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 08:35 PM   #5
TXHP
CF Newbie

simple dude - do it right, ie;.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanditTA79

hack out the CAT- and stick some 2 1/2" pipes attached to your stock manifolds and a pair of Flow Master mufflers - with some cool looking stingers out the back- 300 bucks at any local muffler shop

http://ss.1hwy.com
TXHP is offline   Reply With Quote