Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-2005, 07:08 PM   #1
DW0123
CF Newbie

clueless girl needs a hand :)

hi guys
I would love to know if these performance enhancing chips for cars on ebay are worth a darn. says for about 25-50 dollars i can get a chip to add up to 20 hp to my nissan maxima, its a 2000 modle, 50k miles and i love it and want to hook it up !
DW0123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2005, 07:59 PM   #2
NISSANSPDR
and the Revolution

I would personally say that all that chip does (the 20 bux ones on ebay) is take of the speed limiter. For instance, a good ECU like the one from Jim Wolf Technology does the following:

*Removes the speed limiter
*Raises the rev limiter a bit (I think on my 240sx it went from 6500 to 7200 rpm's)
*Enriches the air:fuel ratio...ie dumps more fuel in so you can compensate for the lean settings from Nissan
*Increases HP by about 10whp or so maybe more

It's a great mod to use to bring together all you basic or advanced mods like intake, headers, exhaust or if you have a turbo/supercharger...it will be reflashed for that and set for whatever setup you have
Old 02-26-2005, 11:26 PM   #3
Wally
I Know More Than You

Quote:
Originally Posted by DW0123
hi guys
I would love to know if these performance enhancing chips for cars on ebay are worth a darn. says for about 25-50 dollars i can get a chip to add up to 20 hp to my nissan maxima, its a 2000 modle, 50k miles and i love it and want to hook it up !

You talking about the "chips" that cause an offset in the air intake temperature reading, that can be done just as effectively with a one cent resistor? I don't endorse the idea.