Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-17-2005, 01:46 AM   #1
CarEXPERT
Banned

Top fuel dragsters engine performance ect...

In drag racing like NHRAand NIRA, what fuel injection method do they use? Do they use carborators for fuel injections? My friend told me that top fuel dragsters and funny car uses carborators because it can put more fuel in the cylinders so that is why there are flames coming out of the exhaust pipe. He also said that the fastest time in the 1/4 is 3.8 but I didnt believe it so im asking you guys.
Does anyone know how many cylinders the topfuel dragsters use and what engine they come from? How do they get it up to like 5000 hp? Do they use a stock engine and build it up or what? And what kinda transmission do they use, my friend said that they use maual cuz its faster but I thought auto would be better with that much horsepower.
Please help me anyone, ChrisV,DSMER, !
More info are welcome.. and thanks everyone
CarEXPERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 02:06 AM   #2
moostang104314
the guy you wish you were

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarEXPERT
In drag racing like NHRAand NIRA, what fuel injection method do they use? Do they use carborators for fuel injections? My friend told me that top fuel dragsters and funny car uses carborators because it can put more fuel in the cylinders so that is why there are flames coming out of the exhaust pipe. He also said that the fastest time in the 1/4 is 3.8 but I didnt believe it so im asking you guys.
Does anyone know how many cylinders the topfuel dragsters use and what engine they come from? How do they get it up to like 5000 hp? Do they use a stock engine and build it up or what? And what kinda transmission do they use, my friend said that they use maual cuz its faster but I thought auto would be better with that much horsepower.
First of all stop your whining!!! I'm so f***ing tired of hearing you scream, "Help! DSMer, ChrisV! I need help!!!" They may help you if stopped whining and being a little baby!

Anyway... Here's what I know about Dragsters. First of all, dragsters can take the 1/4 in less than 5 seconds, 3.8 sounds about right. I'm pretty sure they use 8-cylinder engines. Not sure though. However they probably do NOT make 5000 horsepower, for two reasons. 1) The dragster weighs very little, think of what's inside the dragster: an engine, the steering/chassis parts, a seat, and all other necessary parts. 2) 5000 horsepower would practicaly blow up something that light and is NOT necessary at all. Also, an automatic transmission is probably not used because there is SO much torque in the engines, the dragster would need a very heavy duty torque converter and the automatic transmission would weigh a little more. Thats about all I know, however PLEASE correct me. I know little about top fuel dragsters.
Old 02-17-2005, 02:19 AM   #3
CarEXPERT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by moostang104314
First of all stop your whining!!! I'm so f***ing tired of hearing you scream, "Help! DSMer, ChrisV! I need help!!!" They may help you if stopped whining and being a little baby!

Anyway... Here's what I know about Dragsters. First of all, dragsters can take the 1/4 in less than 5 seconds, 3.8 sounds about right. I'm pretty sure they use 8-cylinder engines. Not sure though. However they probably do NOT make 5000 horsepower, for two reasons. 1) The dragster weighs very little, think of what's inside the dragster: an engine, the steering/chassis parts, a seat, and all other necessary parts. 2) 5000 horsepower would practicaly blow up something that light and is NOT necessary at all. Also, an automatic transmission is probably not used because there is SO much torque in the engines, the dragster would need a very heavy duty torque converter and the automatic transmission would weigh a little more. Thats about all I know, however PLEASE correct me. I know little about top fuel dragsters.

I wasnt winning.. just begging for help from the experts ChrisV DSMER ....
But I dont think they use regular auto transmissions.. and manual shifting would be hard because the engine is so fast. I dont know that much about Dragsters either.
Old 02-17-2005, 02:58 AM   #4
choke
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by moostang104314
. However they probably do NOT make 5000 horsepower, for two reasons. 1) The dragster weighs very little, think of what's inside the dragster: an engine, the steering/chassis parts, a seat, and all other necessary parts. 2) 5000 horsepower would practicaly blow up something that light and is NOT necessary at all. Also, an automatic transmission is probably not used because there is SO much torque in the engines, the dragster would need a very heavy duty torque converter and the automatic transmission would weigh a little more. Thats about all I know, however PLEASE correct me. I know little about top fuel dragsters.

heres the correction, yes , top fuel dragstars will produce in excess of 5000 hp even reaching 5500 hp when they light up however because they are dragsters they are not ment to run at the power for long.
Old 02-17-2005, 03:26 AM   #5
moostang104314
the guy you wish you were

Quote:
Originally Posted by choke
heres the correction, yes , top fuel dragstars will produce in excess of 5000 hp even reaching 5500 hp when they light up however because they are dragsters they are not ment to run at the power for long.
Wow. I never imagined a 5000 horsepower engine. Thanks for correcting me!
Old 02-17-2005, 05:08 AM   #6
Low Impedance
CF Enthusiast

i know there was a some kind of nitro burning drag car est. @ 8000Hp at around 8000. the thing is, you can only guess because dynometers cant go high enough. Oh, and they use a two stage transmission that changes from low gear to high gear with a button.
Old 02-17-2005, 02:33 PM   #7
theman352001
--- Voice of Reason ---

Happy reading......

Simple Google Search
theman352001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005, 03:21 AM   #8
choke
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Impedance
Oh, and they use a two stage transmission that changes from low gear to high gear with a button.

hehehe the american dream: at the push of a button
Old 02-18-2005, 10:59 AM   #9
eclipso
CF Newbie

Push of a button, huh? Sure it's not a lever or two they pull for the gears? That's what they use in funny cars and some prostock cars. And things like that massive wing in back and the wheelie bar help make sure all them ponies and torque make it to the ground. I don't know about 3.8 but they run on average of 4.5 secs in the 1/4.

It's actually kind of funny when they show top fuel dragsters on tv and then you watch pro stock or street. You get so used to watching the t/fers that when the "slower" cars start racing you think "god, that car only ran an 8 second mile, it's so slow."
eclipso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005, 01:50 PM   #10
Low Impedance
CF Enthusiast

yeah i get that same "8 seconds? thats crap" effect. Damn TV. Then you go drive your own car and get REALLY dissapointed. The top fuel cars use a button. some might have use a lever but there are only two gears on the thing. pro street cars are a few seconds slower and lower in budget.
Old 02-19-2005, 12:37 AM   #11
CarEXPERT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarEXPERT

What kind of fuel injection and fuel do they use?
Old 02-27-2005, 04:47 PM   #12
THEcarexpert
CF Newbie

dumbasses

ok yall are a bunch of dumbasses. you aperently dont know shit about top fuel dragsters. lets get a few things straight for starters they use V-8s. they obviously don't use ****ing four bangers. if u ever watch nhra race and u look at the engines, u will see four pipes coming oout of each side. now add 4 & 4 and what do u get 8!! now if u look at the engine it also has things like the supercharger dual distributers, and other things. these guys use the biggest engine that they can get. and when they build the engine they use the best of the best. also these guys r proffessionals and they know how to get the most out of an engine.now fuel wise they use meth quote"methane". this stuff also gives u more horsepower alot more. and now these things are pumping out 7 or 8 thousand hp. if they didn't have this much they couldn't do the 1/4 mile in 4 secs. or less at 300+ mph. these cars do weigh alot, so don't really know where u bitches r getting all this info about these cars weighing less. they weigh at least a ton if not more.

so in conclusion, u need at shit load of hpto get something that ****ing big down the 1/4 mile at 300 mph+.

"and also just a lil' reminder, don't talk about shit that u don't know anything about"

thnx for ur time and attention......................................... ........................
****ING IMPORTS
THEcarexpert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 05:54 PM   #13
Godlaus
UnFedFat in Disguise

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEcarexpert
ok yall are a bunch of dumbasses. you aperently dont know shit about top fuel dragsters. lets get a few things straight for starters they use V-8s. they obviously don't use ****ing four bangers. if u ever watch nhra race and u look at the engines, u will see four pipes coming oout of each side. now add 4 & 4 and what do u get 8!! now if u look at the engine it also has things like the supercharger dual distributers, and other things. these guys use the biggest engine that they can get. and when they build the engine they use the best of the best. also these guys r proffessionals and they know how to get the most out of an engine.now fuel wise they use meth quote"methane". this stuff also gives u more horsepower alot more. and now these things are pumping out 7 or 8 thousand hp. if they didn't have this much they couldn't do the 1/4 mile in 4 secs. or less at 300+ mph. these cars do weigh alot, so don't really know where u bitches r getting all this info about these cars weighing less. they weigh at least a ton if not more.

so in conclusion, u need at shit load of hpto get something that ****ing big down the 1/4 mile at 300 mph+.

"and also just a lil' reminder, don't talk about shit that u don't know anything about"

thnx for ur time and attention......................................... ........................
****ING IMPORTS

First off, shut the fck up, as your posting trash, and you're wasting my oxygen.

Second off, imports are just as acceptable as domestics, so quit your whining, with those bold letters, my respect for you went from...well.....zero to zero.

Quote:
lets get a few things straight for starters they use V-8s. they obviously don't use ****ing four bangers

Whoever said they used four cylinders? We already stated that they use V-8s.

Quote:

ok....we already established that, so thanks for repeating it. Also, you don't need a lot of horspoer to get something that big down the quarter at 300, you need something with an insane power/weight ratio. Dumbass.

Quote:

Says the guy that thinks imports are trash.

none the less, welcome to car-forums, and try to introduce yourself next time.
Old 02-27-2005, 07:58 PM   #14
DodgeRida67
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godlaus
Says the guy that thinks imports are trash.

It's funny how people say such things. Universal statements are usually crap. Nearly always.
DodgeRida67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 08:12 PM   #15
THEcarexpert
CF Newbie

ok you are a ****ing assjole just like the rest of them. cut the we shit you nor anyone else confermed how many cylinders there engines have so i dont know where your getting that shit form and it dose take a shitload of hp to get something that big down the track that damn quick. a damn four banger shore as hell couldnt get the job done. no one said that they use four bangers in them thats just the way i talk SO GET USE TO IT and imports are shit you have to do a crap load of work on them to get the same amount of power out of them as you could out of a stock mucle care
**** IMPORST
THEcarexpert is offline   Reply With Quote